Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First off, I have played the game once with my son (15) just to get a general feel for it, and have watched some youtube reviews to make sure we were playing it right.

The first question I have is I wonder what stops the game from being a "buy the provinces as fast as you can" game.
In the game I played, I went after money first, and then once I started pulling cards that gave me enough coins, just bought provinces until the ran out, which forced my son to do the same, and when they are gone the game is over.
Are we doing something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is a variant somewhere on the Geek for two players where you use 8 cards instead of 10 for each deck. Certain cards allow for the three deck depletion end game to be a viable way to end the game. Also, having Dominion: Intrigue out, I see a lot more games ending with 3 pile depletion rather than Province depletion. Also, with 3 - 5 players, it is also half and half between Province ending and Deck Pile ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The first question I have is I wonder what stops the game from being a "buy the provinces as fast as you can" game.

That is the point of the game isn't it? To acquire the most victory points by the end. The Provinces give you the most VPs at a time, so often they'll decide the winner. Don't underestimate the Duchy however. When both players are buying Provinces at an equal rate, the player who buys more Duchies will come up ahead. There are even cases where you can completely ignore Provinces and pursue VPs in a different fashion. Have you tried building a Gardens deck?

Quote:

No. It seems like you're playing correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:
First off, I have played the game once with my son (15) just to get a general feel for it, and have watched some youtube reviews to make sure we were playing it right.

In the game I played, I went after money first, and then once I started pulling cards that gave me enough coins, just bought provinces until the ran out, which forced my son to do the same, and when they are gone the game is over.

No.

But suppose we're playing and while you buy money and then provinces, I buy three smithy, then money and then provinces.

I'm probably going to win.

See, the action cards cost me money at first, but they make me faster by the time the game is over. I'm buying provinces faster than you because I draw more cards than you by the time either of us nears buying provinces.

Then, you have to figure out what beats me just buying three smithy.

At that point, you can see "where the game is."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:
At that point, you can see "where the game is."

To piggy-back on dbuel's post, it is the combination of finding the balance between actions/money/VP cards in your deck that makes the game really "Intriguing" for me (no pun intended).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:

You're not playing wrong. Somewhere in these forums the designer has actually stated that the secondary game-end condition (the depletion of three piles) was put in more as a safety valve to keep a slow game with Gardens or Witch available from taking three hours.

As people above me have mentioned, though, you will find new strategies presenting themselves to you the more you play. Everyone goes through a phase where they buy too many action cards, then too few, and finally reach the point where they've committed to a strategy and purchased a few select cards to make that strategy more effective and to counter the strategic decisions their opponents are making. Try playing with the Remodel card, or with the Gardens/Workshop combo, and you may find some exciting things waiting for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've only played once, you only think you have a feel for it.laugh

Play *all* of the premade sets. The first time I played, we started with the first set. As veteran CCG'ers, two of us immediately grasped Mine and Remodel, which allowed us to get rid of the inefficient Copper and Estate cards.

We were *totally* thrown by another set, which had *NO* way of getting rid of cards from the deck. NONE of us could get provinces. We had to come up with an entirely different strategy.

Dominion: Intrigue has cards which explicitly reward Copper and Estate decks, encouraging ending the game by depleting three supplies. Also, in a multiplayer game with Witches (and D:I's Torturer), Curses more quickly become depleted.

Keep playing. There's a lot to this game to discover!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fasnacht
msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
If you've only played once, you only think you have a feel for it.laugh

Amen.

Quote:
Play *all* of the premade sets. The first time I played, we started with the first set. As veteran CCG'ers, two of us immediately grasped Mine and Remodel, which allowed us to get rid of the inefficient Copper and Estate cards.

My first play (on the First Game set of course!) we pretty much ignored all the trashers. I ended up running a few Mines, realizing how awful Coppers are in the deck... but I have to admit, trashing those 3 Estates just didn't occur to me - in fact the idea of ever removing VPs from your deck seemed entirely wrong at the time! Also, given the great usefulness of plays like Remodel Gold->Province, which we totally ignored by buying a total of ONE remodel among the four of us (not me this time) it's clear we definitely had no idea what were were doing. That's the beauty of the First Game set - it introduces a great mix of cards all of which can be very useful. I do recommend playing on all the premade setups, but wanted to point out that there's a lot to explore in just the First Game setup, too. If you hit on the strategy of "buy up lots of money and race for Provinces" then you can definitely squeeze a bunch of other ways to play out of just that First Game set, even, and you'll uncover new and exciting ways to use the cards as you do so.

Quote:
We were *totally* thrown by another set, which had *NO* way of getting rid of cards from the deck. NONE of us could get provinces. We had to come up with an entirely different strategy.

These sets can be great fun because they really make you work to get Provinces, or to get any sort of useful deck at all, even! I especially like them when Gardens doesn't show up so you don't have a reason to continue with the inefficiency - I like the players having to fight against those awful cards in the deck with no benefit. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.