Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook» Forums » General

Subject: Affordable minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without wanting to go into too much detail about the good old topic of GW pricing, I was wondering if there are any recommendations for affordable minis to use with Blood Bowl. I'd suspect that any 25/28mm scale fantasy models should do, as well as a couple of models from different genres. Metal works, plastic would be preferred since it tends to be cheaper; most detail would be obliterated by my lack of painting skills anyway. whistle

At the moment, I am primarily looking for figures to fit a Nurgle team. I do have the old-style Nurgle team, but that leaves me with having to find most of the rotters, four Nurgle warriors and of course a beast. Over at Em4Minis, I've found some nice Cthulhu-themed metal figs, but it is hard to tell what they will end up looking like on the pitch, compared to regular BB minis.

So, please share what source you use for minis other than GW themselves. If you have anything that would fit a Cthulhu theme, even better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be a good idea to look for painted Blood Bowl miniatures at Ebay. Often these are cheaper than new miniatures or at least don't cost more, although they are painted to an acceptable or even good standard. Usually only rare models are expensive. Even if you have to pay more than for unpainted miniatures, they are very cheap considering the work for painting them.

Look at these:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Pro-Painted-Chaos-All-Stars-Blood-Bowl-Te...
http://cgi.ebay.de/Blood-Bowl-Chaos-Mutants-Beastmen-Team-Sk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they have to be mini's or are you looking for game pieces that work well for Blood Bowl?

You said you're not much of a painter, so I have to wonder, If you could skip that process entirely, would you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since everyone else in my Blood Bowl league uses minis, I'd like to stick with minis if possible. I had considered cardboard standups or similar - those would work better if both sides use them; one side using minis and the other side using something else does look rather weird.

Plus, having more minis sort of forces me to train my painting skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to your local thrift store and get a copy of Battleball. Figs there that might work. Or, if you had a ton of Heroscape lying around, you could probably get a team out of that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Mageknight also works. Hero Quest can provide some pretty sweet undead mini's as well as orcs and gobbo's.

I've used meeples for snotlings and Candy Land figurines for Ogre's.
I have no shame.

We had a guy in our League who played with pocket change. Pennies were gobs, nickel's were star players, Quarter's were Trolls. He had them numbered and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mageknight's werewolves are perfect for BloodBowl. There is also some kind of walking dead guy that I use for Flesh Golems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Mageknight's werewolves are perfect for BloodBowl. There is also some kind of walking dead guy that I use for Flesh Golems

HorrorClix might work better for Nurgle. Some Mythos-inspired figures, some Zombies, and a blob all come to mind immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.