Popular Tags: [View All]
Madelyn C
United States
Locust Grove
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I am another year older....what happened to all those dreams of great adventures from my youth. Life intervened and took me down a much different path.

My mother was a great proponent of games and I played them all through my youth. Funny, as she was a depression era child and grew up having few to no toys. We played cards, Scabble, Monopoly and other assorted Parker Brother games, we picked up games at yard sales such as Risk, Broadsides and the ever unrealistic Dealer's Choice. We played Green Ghost in a dark family room. Our dining room was only cleared off three times a year (Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas) as for the remaining time we had games stacked up on one end and some large jigsaw puzzle on the other.

Through high school and college I changed to RPGs, something my mother never got the hang of but she was quite willing to let me continue to use the dining room table. She consented to those large D&D miniature layouts on top of her cutting board that had those nice laid out squares for measurements.

Alas, marriage to an obsolute non-gamer and my life took a different direction. Until about 7 years ago when my 11 year old took an interest in Lord of the Ring Miniatures.

My son was invited to play with a group from church. I decided perhaps it would be a nice hobby for us to do together. Then, I walked into the store they played in.........and was hooked.

A complete hobby games store with CCG, RPG, minis and board games galore. I learned who Mayfair, Fantasy Flight, Days of Wonder, and Rio Grand Games were. The revelation of board game geekiness was profound.

I found Board Game Geek, went to GenCon and played more games that I can shake a stick at. And I was happy as can be. My adult children and I play games all the time now. We attended Monday night gaming at the local game store.

I now live my adventures on a board. I have build castles (Torres), traversed by dragon (Elfenland), fought trolls (Smallworld), battled the Axis (Memoir '44), fought Cthulu (Arkham Horror), gotten rid of pesky bunnies (Killer Bunnies) and even had the opportunity to Court the King. I am happy now, my fantasies have come alive and I don't even wake up stiff in the morning......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madelyn C
United States
Locust Grove
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post.....this was actually my first post on BBG......I need to go built some huts on my wonderful island - Taluva is calling my name.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to hear that you are enjoying life, Madelyn. Please post more in future.

Playing games with your grown children is a great experience, as I well know from experience! If you don't have any grandchildren yet, just wait. That will kickstart a whole 'nother round of great gaming.

edit: oops, just noticed that this thread is in the "Women in Gaming" forum. I hope I didn't offend anybody by poking my nose in - I just saw the thread on the front page and responded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great adventures! I showed my 14 year old twins how to build a proper zoo this afternoon (Zooloretto). We were going to race roman chariots (Ave Caesar), but that'll have to wait until tomorrow...we ran out of time.

Great post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend, despite a fairly hefty language barrier, my daughter met her German penfriends.

Between the two families, we played
- Stone Age
- Dominion (3 times)
- Puerto Rico (twice)
- Merchant of Venus

Not just sharing time with family but breaking down languages too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
- Merchant of Venus
surprisesurprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.