Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been a question I've had with the base game and this card just happens be a good example of it. Galactic Advertisers gives you an extra card whenever you trade. It also gives you a free card whenever anyone picks the consume power. Let's say you pick trade and no one picks consume. You trade a good and then get the extra card. You then have other goods in your tableau and consume powers to gain victory points, so you have to consume those goods. Do you also get the extra card for the consume? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Galactic Advertisers, just like New Economy, gives you a card every time Consume is called in a round, including when you call it.
Its like the card has Trade+2 except better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
howaa wrote:
You then have other goods in your tableau and consume powers to gain victory points, so you have to consume those goods. Do you also get the extra card for the consume? Thanks.

You get the extra card regardless of whether you (or anyone else) has any goods to consume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, even if someone only picks the trade ($) action, you still get consume (IV) bonus, whether or not you consume anything? Thanks for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same as the Interstellar Bank (draw a card at the beginning of the develop phase) but for consume. If there is a consume phase, even if nothing happens in it, you still draw a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
howaa wrote:
This has been a question I've had with the base game and this card just happens be a good example of it. Galactic Advertisers gives you an extra card whenever you trade. It also gives you a free card whenever anyone picks the consume power. Let's say you pick trade and no one picks consume. You trade a good and then get the extra card. You then have other goods in your tableau and consume powers to gain victory points, so you have to consume those goods. Do you also get the extra card for the consume? Thanks.
Yes. Whenever someone chooses Consume Trade, the Trade phase happens, immediately followed by Consume which is then when you draw a card at the beginning of that phase. It's actually better than "+2 cards when you trade a good" b/c with Gal. Advertisers, you get one card even if you don't trade anything. Whether if it's Trade followed by Consume or just Consume, you'll get a card anyways.

Another nice thing about Gal. Advertisers is if you pair this card with another that lets you discard a card (or 2) for 1 VP (apiece) such as Deficit Spending, Merchant World, Galactic Bazaar, or that other card in the 2nd exp, then this card gets converted into giving you 1 VP for each consume phase, with the flexibility of keeping the card instead for spending or to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
It's the same as the Interstellar Bank (draw a card at the beginning of the develop phase) but for consume. If there is a consume phase, even if nothing happens in it, you still draw a card.

Not quite. With Interstellar Bank you should draw at the beginning, while with Galactic Advertisers you can choose to draw that card after or in between your other consume powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
howaa wrote:
So, even if someone only picks the trade ($) action, you still get consume (IV) bonus, whether or not you consume anything? Thanks for the responses.

This is not quite accurate. It isn't a Consume bonus. It's a Consume power that gives you a card without requiring the use of a good. Note that the "trade ($)" action isn't really a Trade action. It's a Consume action. You have the Trade bonus on your Consume action. So you've chosen a Consume phase, and you get to use your Consume power (draw a card) in that Consume phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
QBert80 wrote:

Not quite. With Interstellar Bank you should draw at the beginning, while with Galactic Advertisers you can choose to draw that card after or in between your other consume powers.
Don't see how that matters. Even if given a choice, I don't see a case where you'd want to draw a card at another time in the develop phase. Similar with Consume. It seems to make sense to draw the card at the beginning of the phase anyways. You can always discard it to Deficit Spending or its like, see if you can exchange it for something better at R&D Crash Program, or Gamble with it at Gambling World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:

I don't catch the distinction. You always choose the order to execute powers, but for both of these you will want to do it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
onigame wrote:
QBert80 wrote:

Don't see how that matters. Even if given a choice, I don't see a case where you'd want to draw a card at another time in the develop phase. Similar with Consume. It seems to make sense to draw the card at the beginning of the phase anyways. You can always discard it to Deficit Spending or its like, see if you can exchange it for something better at R&D Crash Program, or Gamble with it at Gambling World.

An example where it might make a difference is when there is one card in the draw pile, you have Deficit Spending, and you would like to Deficit Spend some cards.

If you draw the Galactic Advertisers card before you do Deficit Spending, then the discard pile gets reshuffled after you draw the last card, and your Deficit Spending cards go into the new discard pile. Whereas if you do Deficit Spending first, your Deficit Spending cards will be shuffled into the new draw pile. This allows you to influence the probabilities of whether you'll see those cards again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
onigame wrote:
QBert80 wrote:

An example where it might make a difference is when there is one card in the draw pile, you have Deficit Spending, and you would like to Deficit Spend some cards.

If you draw the Galactic Advertisers card before you do Deficit Spending, then the discard pile gets reshuffled after you draw the last card, and your Deficit Spending cards go into the new discard pile. Whereas if you do Deficit Spending first, your Deficit Spending cards will be shuffled into the new draw pile. This allows you to influence the probabilities of whether you'll see those cards again.

Very esoteric Race strategy. I will never be this good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
when there is one card in the draw pile, you have Deficit Spending, and you would like to Deficit Spend some cards.

If you draw the Galactic Advertisers card before you do Deficit Spending, then the discard pile gets reshuffled after you draw the last card, and your Deficit Spending cards go into the new discard pile.

Minor detail, but technically, doesn't the reshuffle occur when someone can't draw? I.e. the next time someone draws, after your Galactic Advertisers draw in this example...

Looking at the base game rules ("When the card supply is exhausted, immediately reshuffle the discards to form a new card supply.") it sounds like i've been doing it wrong all this time. But i could have sworn i read from Tom or someone that you reshuffle when someone can't draw. Can someone confirm/deny please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
onigame wrote:
when there is one card in the draw pile, you have Deficit Spending, and you would like to Deficit Spend some cards.

If you draw the Galactic Advertisers card before you do Deficit Spending, then the discard pile gets reshuffled after you draw the last card, and your Deficit Spending cards go into the new discard pile.

Minor detail, but technically, doesn't the reshuffle occur when someone can't draw? I.e. the next time someone draws, after your Galactic Advertisers draw in this example...

Looking at the base game rules ("When the card supply is exhausted, immediately reshuffle the discards to form a new card supply.") it sounds like i've been doing it wrong all this time. But i could have sworn i read from Tom or someone that you reshuffle when someone can't draw. Can someone confirm/deny please?

You might be thinking of the (unusual) Dominion reshuffle rules, where you do not reshuffle until you need to draw and your pile is empty. You aren't playing Dominion, are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
entranced wrote:
it sounds like i've been doing it wrong all this time. But i could have sworn i read from Tom or someone that you reshuffle when someone can't draw. Can someone confirm/deny please?

You might be thinking of the (unusual) Dominion reshuffle rules, where you do not reshuffle until you need to draw and your pile is empty. You aren't playing Dominion, are you?

Interesting, that is quite likely what caused the mixup as i learned both games pretty close together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.