Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Laursen
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Is the title name correct?

I thought the focus of this game would be the East African campaign of 1940-41.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is where Uwe mentions the game:

http://phalanxgames.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/angriff-intervi...

Here it's listed as 1942.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping it's more than just Germans, Brits and Italians and includes Commonwealth, French, and Americans. Like Russia, it really needs multiple expansions to cover, but I suppose we all have our favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Corson
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Normandy expansion looks like fun, but this is the one I'm really excited about.

Are Italy/Sicily or Malta/Crete on the docket? I thought I might have read that somewhere, but I could very easily be mistaken.

What expansions are you all looking forward to?

Any fronts you'd like to see covered in an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ashka36 wrote:
The Normandy expansion looks like fun, but this is the one I'm really excited about.

Are Italy/Sicily or Malta/Crete on the docket? I thought I might have read that somewhere, but I could very easily be mistaken.

What expansions are you all looking forward to?

Any fronts you'd like to see covered in an expansion?

Crete is coming up, with its own module: Unpublished Prototype
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is the title name correct?

I thought the focus of this game would be the East African campaign of 1940-41.

Well, according to the latest newsletter from Academy Games (got it yesterday) it is indeed East Africa:

Quote:
We have many more games in the works including: First Men In: D-Day 1944,
The Price of Honor: Poland 1939, Isle of Doom: Crete, Under Burning Skies:
Somaliland
, and more. Be sure to check our webpage for additional
firefights that we will continue to post at no charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any news about this title?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Storms of Conflict-Kursk 1943, and I plan on getting Guadalcanal 100% for sure. Burning Skies-Africa 1942 and something about the Battle of the Bulge I would buy as well.

Right now I am holding out for Guadalcanal, which could be the best game in the series. These four battles are my favorite topics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We were coming along nicely with this title, until Bevan started training for the Olympics. Mind you, he is Canadian, so it could either be for the Iditarod, Cross Country Skiing, or that game with the brooms.
My expertice is in the West Afrikan Theater and I have been interviewing veterans from the era. I am lucky enough to be in the midst of interviewing an officer who served the entire campaign under Rommel. I am capturing it all on video and the stories are facinating! And I get to ask those little questions that I have always wondered about. Like, what did they use for toilet paper? Did they trade a lot with the natives? Etc.
So if Bevan does not go forward with West Afrika and Somaliland pitting the best troops that the Italians had vs. the British, etc., I will go forward with the Americans, French, Germans and Brits in the west.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai von der Aa
Germany
Nuremberg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem...now I'm totally confused.

The year 1942 and because Uwe told us about interviewing an Afrikakorps veteran, Under burning Skies (UbS) seems to be the campaign in North Africa between German/Italian troops against British 8th army and Commonwealth troops ("Desert Fox" against "Desert Rats"). Also the Description in the BGG said so.

But what about the contradictory terms West African theatre and Somaliland (in the East)?

West African could be the American landings in Algeria to the Tunesian Bridgehead (Kasserine Pass and so on), but that would also be in 1943.

Somaliland instead means the early wars between British, Italian and Mahdi troops in the early 20th century or later linked with the Second Italo-Abyssinian War in the 30ties. So points the term Somaliland to the Italian East Africa colony? But that would only lasts from 1936 to 1941.

So what is meant with "Somaliland" and "West Afrikan theatre"?

(My wishlist is: Standalone Game North Africa 1941-42 Afrikorps against 8th Army covering Marsa Matruh, Tobruk, El Alamain. After this a possible expansion with the Americans coming from the West through Kasserine Pass and to the End of the Afrikakorps in Tunesia. Sometimes wishes come true)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Burning Skies was meant to cover the earlier East Afrika campaigns between the Italians and British.

But I personnally am also very interested in the west Afrikan theater of operation between the German Afrikakorps, Italians, Americans and British. Two separate game ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.