Subject: I already have Medici. Should I buy Strozzi? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of Medici which I like very much and suits the preferences of my gaming group. I've read a lot about Strozzi, which appears to work in a similar way. It looks good, but is it too similiar to Medici for me to get both? Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love Medici and found Strozzi to be a watered-down and less enjoyable imitation. Of course, other people feel just the opposite.

Why? I find the process of estimating how much to bid in Medici a delicious challenge, and this same tension doesn't exist in Strozzi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I just love Medici and found Strozzi to be a watered-down and less enjoyable imitation. Of course, other people feel just the opposite.

Why? I find the process of estimating how much to bid in Medici a delicious challenge, and this same tension doesn't exist in Strozzi.

Hi Graham,

Sounds like you went for Medici after all ! Was it is the most recent RGG edition you picked up in the end?

Anyway, regarding Strozzi - I was interested in getting this at Essen last year so checked it out. The impression I was left with was that it was a poor imitation of Medici - the words "milking" and "cow" sprung to mind.

Did you know there is a 2-player version of Medici called Medici vs Strozzi? This is basically the same game (if I remember correct) adjusted for 2 players; me & fiancee used to play the crap out of it when I first bought it, so I'd recommend it.

Cheers,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full disclosure: I playtested Strozzi quite a bit when Reiner visited us for Strategicon's Orccon 2007.

Reiner developed Strozzi after it was suggested to him that he'd done Medici (auctions)and Medici v. Strozzi (two-player game with an auction-esque feel but also a direct selection mechanism), so now it was time for just the Strozzi portion (just the selection mechanism). Thus, this is what you get - the same scoring system but with choices instead of auctions - in a way, this is how Reiner simplified Modern Art for Masters Gallery as well.

I find Strozzi to be an enjoyable, quick game that works for players that don't like auctions but can appreciate the appealing scoring system of Medici. You don't have to figure exact values out - you just have to decide if what is offered is worth a limited groups of choices.

I feel sure some Medici fans will find Strozzi less than appealing because the choices aren't as excruciating but for someone like me who always thought Medici was the least of the major Knizia auction games, I've enjoyed having it in our rotation - especially for six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:
I feel sure some Medici fans will find Strozzi less than appealing because the choices aren't as excruciating but for someone like me who always thought Medici was the least of the major Knizia auction games, I've enjoyed having it in our rotation.

Medici is my #1 favorite game, so it's not surprising that I'm not crazy about Strozzi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Dessemond
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly the same dynamic but both have their place on the shelf and on the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar question so this discussion is helpful. I like Medici and try to get others to play it when possible. Generally, I find people are not excited to play Medici even when they've previously played and appreciated the game. Though it sounds simpler, it doesn't sound like Strozzi has too much going for it to make me think I should go out and get it. I'm hoping to get a chance to try Strozzi at some point though so I can make sure that this is not a game I want in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric has it just right. Strozzi has exactly this is common with Medici:
* Plays 6
* Has 0 0 0...5 10 15 scoring tracks with...
* ,,,bonus points like Medici
* Ships
* Italian name and setting

Strozzi is much lighter. Briefly, the starting player get a pre-loaded ship (a card) with some of three commodities, a speed, and maybe a scroll (advancing a fourth, tie-breaking track) and/or the right to pick a culture(?) tile, which are either 1+commodity or 2. When you pick a ship you give it +1 speed, +1 commodity, or pirate. Three flags--each player gets three ships unless too many ships are rejected, in which case someone loses out. Once someone pirates, he has the ship. At the end of each of three rounds you get points (5/10/15) depending on where you are on each commodity track (3 tracks) and the scroll track (plus Medici-like 5/10/15 bonuses if you're high enough), and the ship speed for each port. Also at the end of the game, you figure who's first in each culture (10/20/30 I think, ties broken by the scroll track--something is 10/20/30). No auctions, no loading ships.

The ships are intentionally unbalanced so you'll be more or less likely to spend your pirate or to pass the ship hoping for a better one.

I haven't decided on Strozzi myself. It's sis players, which is a plus; but it's pretty light and plays a bit long for its lightness, I think.

Maybe an additional plus is that if you loathe Pirate's Cove, think Blackbeard is too rules-heavy, and reject superficial pirate themes like Pirate's Dice (Liar's Dice) or Pirateer, this is one of the best pirate games out.

(This is off the top of my head: please read a real review!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Sounds like you went for Medici after all ! Was it is the most recent RGG edition you picked up in the end?

Yes. i liked the colour scheme and layout better in that version than in any of the others, although still room for improvement, I think.

tonksey wrote:
Did you know there is a 2-player version of Medici called Medici vs Strozzi? This is basically the same game (if I remember correct) adjusted for 2 players; me & fiancee used to play the crap out of it when I first bought it, so I'd recommend it.

I've seen that but not really bothered to read up on it much. I don't have much call to play 2-player games at home, although if I did I'd be sorely tempted.

We haven't played Medici yet with my home group, although I'm really confident it will go down well, and the fact that it plays six in a relatively short time is a real bonus. It looks to me like Strozzi fills the same niche a bit too closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle G wrote:
It looks to me like Strozzi fills the same niche a bit too closely.

I think you just hit the nail on the head; too much similarity between the two from the look/sound of things & Medici seems to do it better.

I wonder what people would think of Strozzi if it had come out before Medici or Medici hadn't been created?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
I wonder what people would think of Strozzi if it had come out before Medici or Medici hadn't been created?

I'm not sure about the general public, but I see where you're coming from. I love Medici - but let's be honest... Medici was my first Euro auction game AND it's a very good game. (We will, for the time being, ignore that it has yet to be published in an edition that made any sense in the graphic design department.)

Actually, we won't ignore that - Medici has the splendid reputation that it has IN SPITE of the horrific graphic design jobs that have been done to the game.

Still, there's a bit of "you'll always have a soft spot for your first girlfriend" in my preference of Medici over Strozzi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.