Subject: Confusion on 'Migration' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artie Heinrich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

All you English-speaking players out there probably won't understand the problem we had, but we are a group of german players using the english version of the game. The gametext in question is on the card 'Migration', which is clarified in the rulebook as:

May move up to 2 of the owner's colonists from any single region to any other single region.

Now this sentence contains the devious little word "any" which can be translated into german with subtle differences in meaning that can lead to different interpretations of the game effect.

My take was: you can move up to 2 colonists from one (and only one) region to one (and only one) other region. (Ex: Move 1 or 2 colonists from Canada to Brazil. You cannot move 2 from Canada to Peru AND Brazil (1 each); and you also cannot move 1 from Canada and 1 from Florida both to Brazil.)

My buddy was convinced that the correct interpretation is: If you move 2 colonists, then they can come from different single regions and move to different single regions. (The move he made was: 1 colonist from Canada to Brazil, and 1 other colonist from Florida to Peru.)

Please help us out in our special case of 'babylonian confusion of tongues'.

Thanks a lot,

Artie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation of the rules is correct. The colonists must move together from one, single territory to another, single territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Han_Heinrich wrote:
My take was: you can move up to 2 colonists from one (and only one) region to one (and only one) other region.

You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, YOU are correct
Hope it will do (three non-english players count for one english ;P)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artie Heinrich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much all of you.

So we will play it "my" way now, unless an official source posts a different statement here.

Have Fun,

Artie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"May move up to 2 of the owner's colonists from any single region to any other single region" is how it appears in the rule book.

Only one region to only one other region.

Das ist richtig!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems a bit underpowered. You can only do it the scoring turn, correct? Maybe you can go from 2 points to 6 points or from 0 points to 6 points at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artie Heinrich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi ralpher,

Depending on when you buy the building (it is Age III I think) you can either use it once or twice (at the end of the respective turns).
I feel it is definitely one of the weaker buildings, but you can tip the scales in a region to steal some VPs (or more important: prevent a player from getting more VPs).
I found that the biggest effect of the building is the "what if"-effect. Now every other player must plan his moves with your ability (to move two of your colonists into his region) in mind. It actually bothers the other players more than it actually benefits you, I would say.

Hope that helps,

Artie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.