Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
The fate dice rules on page 10 say, "During a player's turn, he must choose one fate die and perform the action shown on that die" (underline added for emphasis). However, many fate dice actions says, "The player may" (move one army, place an army unit, move up to two of his emmissaries, etc.)

So, even though I must choose a fate die and perform the action, can I really perform NO action if the rules say "may"?

Example: I choose the Military die (because I must choose a fate die), but the 3 possible Military actions all say the player may move and/or attack. So, after I choose the Military die, can I then choose NOT to take one of the 3 possible Military actions because they all say may rather than must?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
So, even though I must choose a fate die and perform the action, can I really perform NO action if the rules say "may"?

Yes, you can burn a die and do nothing if you like. This has been discussed previously, if you want to browse the rules folder you can find it.

Bear in mind that the designers are Italian, and the English rules are a translation. There are many other fine points you'll uncover by browsing through prior rules threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Yes, you can burn a die and do nothing if you like. This has been discussed previously, if you want to browse the rules folder you can find it.

Bear in mind that the designers are Italian, and the English rules are a translation. There are many other fine points you'll uncover by browsing through prior rules threads.

Thanks for your quick response! I found a FAQ / Errata thread that was helpful, but my question wasn't covered. I did browse some of the previous comments in the rules folder, but sometimes it's hard to find the specific question you're looking for without spending a lot of time . . . especially if the title of the topic doesn't clearly indicate what the discussion is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What I can't understand is why you'd not want to take an action. In the few games I've played it was always worth doing something no matter which action took...or were forced to take if all the leftover dice were the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:

What I can't understand is why you'd not want to take an action. In the few games I've played it was always worth doing something no matter which action took...or were forced to take if all the leftover dice were the same thing.

I don't know why someone wouldn't want to take an action. I haven't played the game yet (other than "walking through" a few turns with the instructions in front of me to get a feel for it). But I'd rather get the answer in advance instead of being in the middle of a game, finding out someone does not want to perform an action, and then wasting time trying to interpret the rules. By getting the answer in advance, I'm "locked and loaded" and ready to play. Although, you bring up a good point and maybe the question, "Under what circumstances is it advisable NOT to take an action?" would be a good topic for this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cases, admittedly unusual, where taking the last die of a given type, and thus denying it to another player, can be more valuable than selecting a useable one for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why don't take one emissary? two armies? or two cards?
I can see no situation where this could be detrimental.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
If you already have all your armies or emissaries out, and don't want to mess with their positions, this is possible, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.