Subject: Robo-Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Robotory last year at Essen because I'm a big fan of Susumu Kawasaki (need fan designer microbadge) with the elegant Traders of Osaka being one of my favs and R-Eco as a nice little filler. I was a little slow in trying Robo-Tory out because I don't often play 2-player games and it looked about as abstract as you can get. I'm not a huge fan of abstracts, Chinagold and M being exceptions.

Like most of Kawasaki's games, the rules are simple but the game play challenging. Each player owns half the board and the goal of the game is to end with 2 or 3 robots in your territory. The 3 robots (red, blue and yellow) start in the middle of the board along the border with the red and blue on one side and the yellow on the opposite. Each player starts with 4 energy cubes, 2 red and 2 blue. The remainder are placed in their respective supply areas.
The player with the yellow robot on their side starts. You may place a cube on a hex, move a robot or refill your energy to 4 cubes.
Place a cube - on any empty hex
Move a robot- robots move to adjacent hexes by eating an energy cube in that hex. The red robot eats red cubes, the blue eats blue cubes and the yellow can eat either. You may move as far as the energy cube chain exists of the appropriate color. Cubes eaten are removed from the game.
Refill - take cubes of your choice from the supply areas to refill to 4 cubes.
The game is over immediately when one supply area is empty!
Winner has the majority of robots in their territory.

I like this game because it plays in just a few minutes, making it just the right length. Longer and it would be boring with the back and forth jockeying of the robots but with the quickness of the game you have to keep a constant eye out for the game ending condition as well as trying to control the board. Highly recommended if you are looking for something portable, entertaining and quick

My only quibble-I wish I could have gotten a copy in the white box to go with the Traders box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
The quickness of this game is one its charms.

Thoughts of various strategies invaded my sleep after my first play. This is always a good sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anshuman Sinha
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game! :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter E
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
The quickness of this game is one its charms.

Thoughts of various strategies invaded my sleep after my first play. This is always a good sign.

This happens almost any time I play a new game >_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is unplayable due to the creasing on the board. The pieces just slide off.

If you make your own board though it's a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.