Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first skirmish fire of the game, if i understand well, only the 4 French infantry near Hougoumont can do this fire, right ? Because all allies infantry are on their side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Inacio
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean 6? Plus 2 against the Duthc INF in the woods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"Of what use is a philosopher that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings?" -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
??? I don't understand the question. In the rulebook, any infantry adjacent to the enemy, whether on their sides or standing up, can fire. And any can be a target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroldun wrote:
You mean 6? Plus 2 against the Duthc INF in the woods?

Yes, sorry modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
??? I don't understand the question. In the rulebook, any infantry adjacent to the enemy, whether on their sides or standing up, can fire. And any can be a target.

I thought that an infantry on its sides can't fire ...

Can you tell me where it's written on the rule book ? I found this in the Useful stuff to know part one : An infantry unit on its side is in a defensive formation it not allowed to move or assault ... But nothing about the skirmish fire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"Of what use is a philosopher that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings?" -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
jarjar26 wrote:
sos1 wrote:

I thought that an infantry on its sides can't fire ...

Can you tell me where it's written on the rule book ? I found this in the Useful stuff to know part one : An infantry unit on its side is in a defensive formation it not allowed to move or assault ... But nothing about the skirmish fire

It doesn't mention skirmish fire under the "Unit formations" rule, because it doesn't affect it.

If you look on p.3, Skirmish fire, it simply says that ALL infantry units adjacent to an enemy may skirmish fire. The example on p.3 even describes it as the first turn of the game, and shows Allied infantry firing skirmish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:

If you look on p.3, Skirmish fire, it simply says that ALL infantry units adjacent to an enemy may skirmish fire. The example on p.3 even describes it as the first turn of the game, and shows Allied infantry firing skirmish.

It make sense Thanks for your quick answer !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
What to keep in mind is what "defensive formation" means. It means that the infantry is in line, not in column, and fully capable of engaging the enemy at range, but not prepared to move to another location, much less assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Respectfully...

No, it doesn't actually mean line/column.

It's an abstraction that MW has chosen to use and it works for the things he wants to do with it, but it has nothing to do with line/column.

A line of infantry could move and could attack, just not as easily as a column, and notice that there is no difference in skirmish fire between standing infantry and infantry on its side. Note that there is no difference in infantry vs infantry combat between standing/on side, except that a unit in square (special case) is weaker.

Defensive formation allows you to go into square more easily-- that is not a factor of Line/Column either.

A column actually has a better chance against a cavalry attack than a line does (see the Austrian "battalion masse")- but that is not the game we have here.

Examples like this just add to the confusion somewhere else, because they are flawed. People think they know the diff in line/column and then run into somewhere else in the game where such a comparison doesn't make sense... like... taking advantage of the strong points, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.