United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

It would be nice to include with the Rogue Bear/Wollemi Pine/Boulder triple expansion, a set of cardboard tokens for each mountain to mark if one used the 1-4-1 rule for that mountain. I do hope you still plan on doing the expansion and that sales for the second run are good during these trying economic times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Bernie

Sorry not to have replied sooner.

Regarding your suggestion using the cardboard markers I personally feel its better to NOT remind players that they have or have not used the 1-4-1 rule. Even myself as the game designer I often forget, (to the satisfaction of other players), to use the rule.

Often with 3 or 4 players there is so much happening in regards to tree planting and planning your next move that the 1-4-1 rule goes by the wayside - which I think is a good thing. It forces players to rely on their memory (and/or the knowledge of the rules) in order to get themselves out of a sticky situation.

Maybe for your own purposes you could place a small marker inside or in front of the treasure placements to indicate that this particular mountain has used up the 1-4-1 rule.

In any case thanks for your input! It's good to see gamers really seeing ways of how changes or improvements can be added.

Cheers for now Bernie.

PS I'll keep your idea handy, and if other gamers seem to think this may be useful I'll consider it for future inclusion as it's not at all a high-cost item to add. Otherwise I'm having a hard time getting the time to do everything I need to get done for Christmas sales!

PSS Is it better to start the game with 4 x 1-4-1 markers in your player tray that may be worth 1 point each for example, and if you get to the end of the game without having used the markers it's 4 points extra to the final score???... Great, You have provided some real food-for-thought!

comments anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco,

Thanks for your reply. I like the bonus point idea. I will try it with both a 1 point and 1/2 point bonus and see how it affects end game scoring. The main reason for the suggestion is that a couple of times no one could remember if a player had used the rule on a particular mountain.
Of course if you do decide to make markers, you will have to come up for a name for the fifth mountain.

Bernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see the 1-4-1 rule counters myself. They would be an interesting tie breaking mechanic at 1 point each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
I would like to see the 1-4-1 rule counters myself. They would be an interesting tie breaking mechanic at 1 point each.

I'd second that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marco. In this thread you said:

Quote:
PSS Is it better to start the game with 4 x 1-4-1 markers in your player tray that may be worth 1 point each for example, and if you get to the end of the game without having used the markers it's 4 points extra to the final score???... Great, You have provided some real food-for-thought!
comments anyone?

Which indicates the 1-4-1 rule can be used on the 4 highest mountains, but in another thread you wrote:

Quote:
"There are 5 mountains where the rule is able to be used. An 'official' mountain being a group of foam core layers, but if players choose to to treat the Base Camp main island as another mountain zone I don't see a problem with this - so long as the manner in which the rule is applied is kept unchanged (re: rule quote above)."

Which indicates the ridge between Split River and Chinaman's Creek is also considered a mountain that the 1-4-1 rule can be used on.
I suppose you are going to say play either way it's optional .
Anyway I want to make some counters and playtest the bonus point rule and would like to know which option you prefer.
If it's 5 we need a name for the ridge between the rivers. Shall we call it Chinaman's Ridge? Any one else have a suggestion?
By the way there is a mountain called China Peak near where I live that has the Sierra Summit Ski Resort on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Good point Bernie. I would say that "yes" the 1-4-1 clearing rule could be used on the 5th 'mountain'. I think if there's a chance to help speed up the game and add some more player interaction, reflection and 'smart' moves, then by all means apply the rule here.

With regards to the name I like "Chinaman's Ridge". I used to refer to this area as No Mans's Land, but a proper name that seems well suited to the position and topographics is Chinaman's Ridge. Good choice.

Let me know if you need artwork for your tokens. A little axe with "1-4-1" written underneath and a few pines in the background shouldn't take too long to whip up! Just let me know what shape and dimensions you had imagined and we'll see if we can get something posted here in the 'downloads' section (with your brief explanation printed on the same sheet)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco, I would love some artwork! I planned on gluing them to 1/2 inch round wood disks. I'm sure others would be interested as well. Thanks so much.

P.S. or is 1/2 inch too small. Maybe it should be 1"?

Final thought. Yes I think 1" like the farmer disks in Agricola would be best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about just putting a tree next to the corresponding space for the bag of gold for that mountain, to remind you that you've used the rule already for that mountain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Better still Cameron! I have just created the 1-4-1 expansion sheet containing 20 tokens for use on each mountain.

It is currently being reviewed by BGG admin but should make it online in the next few hours.

Consider it a type of free 'print 'n play expansion'. Each token has a 1 point value (that is therefore lost from your final score if you use it) but it serves a good reminder to actually put the rule into action when you need it most.

"Bravo" to Bernie for the idea - you'll see he gets a mention in the disclaimer text at the bottom of the printed sheet

I think its great to be able to interact with customers, get some feedback, and then be able to put some of these ideas into place. I'll look forward to more feed back in the future...

Cheers for now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.