Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
After Josh bought the game several months ago, we finally cleared our game calendar, got the commitment of six players, and brought BSG to the table!

Our players (all new to the game):
Bill (first player and Baltar)
Jarrett (Galen)
John (Tigh --- our fearless admiral)
Josh (Lee)
Me (Roslin)
Tom (Starbuck)

The beginning of the game was skill check light and Cylon heavy. We quickly had two basestars and our limit of raiders on the board. Fortunately, we jumped a distance of three and cleared the toasters away. I was hoping for a lot of skill checks early, so we could get used to the mechanic, but it took about five turns before we got our first one. But things were going smoothly, with Josh feeling fairly certain that we had no Cylons yet.

He was wrong --- I was a Cylon from the beginning. However, I didn't see many opportunities to sabotage. Many of our early skill checks were purple/red/blue, so my contributions would be a clear giveaway of my traitorous nature. At least once, John/Tigh had scouted the top of the crisis deck before I had my "religious visions", so I had to be careful about substituting a worse card. But, we did start running low on both food and fuel, and I was able to choose a few slightly more harmful crisis cards.

John/Tigh had the crisis card that would trigger the second jump (and the sleeper phase), so we had a critical decision on whether we wanted a dial in the red. We decided to fail the check (going red on fuel), but when John pulled the destinations, he had the chance to increase fuel back up. With some encouragement from Josh, we went all blue on the jump.

Sadly, the combination of his drinking and Cylon hatred had turned Tigh into a sympathizer (there being a fine love between love and hate, etc...), so John headed to the resurrection ship. At this point, we were all pretty sure John hadn't been an unrevealed Cylon, so we thought we had three Cylons.

I wanted to stir up trouble, so I moved over to Galactica and attempted to brig Bill/Baltar, using the (quite reasonable) argument that Bill had more loyalty cards. Bill retorted that he was now only 50% more likely to be a Cylon as opposed to twice as likely before the sleeper phase. For whatever reason, the brig attempt failed. Bill was convinced I was a toaster, but others were still playing wait-and-see.

We quickly got another two Cylon attack cards, hurting our jump progress and putting out inexperienced pilots. Josh/Lee was having some lousy rolls, and Tom/Starbuck was surrounded by raiders. So, having given up on sabotage and the incitement of paranoia, I revealed and got the "Inbound Nukes" card.

The very next turn, Tom/Starbuck revealed! (She had turned during the sleeper phase and didn't want to shoot on her comrades...) But before she left, she crippled Galactica.

The rest of the game was a slow painful death for the humans. I activated the basestars to further damage Galactica, so Josh, Jarrett, and Bill kept on repairing, getting sent to sickbay, and having to repair again. Even worse, all of them were very low on skill cards (even though Jarrett/Galen was great on getting up to his limit early in the game). All dials went red, and my inbound nukes finally did humans in on food and fuel.

So what did we think?

* Overall, the game went pretty well. I had a few problems with rules explanations (misplacing where the "OR" goes on crisis cards), but with about 15-20 minutes of teaching and lots of explaining dice rolls, we did fine. Both our Ameritrash and Eurogame fans were happy, which doesn't always happen with Fantasy Flight games.

* I was hoping for more political action (brigging, changing presidents, etc...), but I think the heavy Cylon presence quashed that. For example, I think Bill/Baltar would have used his Cylon detector on me if it wasn't for an incoming attack.

* Bill was concerned at the end that the game was too rough on the humans. Josh and I thought that was due to the three Cylons in the six player game with sympathizer. We'd like to try with five players and see what changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With sympathizers present you always have to get a dial on the red, or it's like a holiday vacation for the cylons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.