Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Box

Tiddle-Tac-Toe is a children's dexterity game that combines tic-tac-toe with tiddledywinks. This unusual game was published by Schaper in 1976. It features a plastic board molded in a tic-tac-toe pattern. The board has nine small cups that are intended to hold the chips as the players snap them into position. A game is completed when one player forms a line of three connected spaces... just like any game of tic-tac-toe.

I found this copy at my local thrift shop and decided to give it a try. I like dexterity challenges. Arch Rival is one of my favorite party games and I recommend it often here on BGG. The title of this mutant hybrid tic-tac-toe game will never be typed into my computer keyboard again.

Board

Tiddle-Tac-Toe can be "enjoyed" by 2 to 4 players. According to the official instructions on the back of the box the game can be played by children age 5 and older. No reading is required. Most children will be able to understand the rules and start playing the game with little difficulty. Kids of all ages who do not possess a saintly tolerance for frustration might find the game extremely annoying.

Example Of Play

Players snap chips in the direction of the board as they attempt to connect three cups and form a winning combination. Please note that I said the players snap the chips in the direction of the board. Actually hitting those cups (much less a particular cup at which the shooter was aiming) requires the skill of Annie Oakley and the patience of Job. Any chips that do fall into a cup by some quirk of fate are just as likely to bounce out like Nadia Comaneci vaulting the balance beam. Using a game board coated with a sticky substance like pancake syrup would speed play considerably.

After over 40 minutes of practice and three sample games the tiddledywinks were still falling in a pattern as random as snowflakes. All instructions regarding the proper playing surface were followed; I tried using a bed and a table covered with a towel. I can't imagine a family sitting down with Tiddle-Tac-Toe on game night and enjoying a pleasant evening.

My thrift shop copy was in like-new condition. The special tiddledywink holder was still attached to the primary playing surface and the game had been lightly played. Now I know why.

If you find a copy of Tiddle-Tac-Toe in a thrift store, buy it and give the game to somebody you don't like. On second thought, that molded plastic board with the little cups might make a great nacho holder with built in salsa and guacamole receptacles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
On second thought, that molded plastic board with the little cups might make a great nacho holder with built in salsa and guacamole receptacles!

Yeah, but when you remember that 33 years of dust has been on it... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
pete belli wrote:
On second thought, that molded plastic board with the little cups might make a great nacho holder with built in salsa and guacamole receptacles!

Or a chit organizer for Le Havre. With built in salsa and guacamole receptacles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.