Popular Tags: [View All]
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One of the main reasons I had acquired this game is that someone had mentioned it was suitable for solitaire play. Imagine my disappointment when I found there weren't any solo play rules available.

After trying a number of different options, I found this worked well.

CHANGES TO RULES (italics):

--------------- ELEMENTARY RULES ---------------

BEFORE STARTING
(1) Before starting, place your token at 221 B Baker St.
(2) Take a Skeleton Key card
(3) Place Scotland Yard cards at two random locations on the board
(4) Take a sheet from the Solution Checklist pad...

The remaining Skeleton Key cards should be placed at the Locksmith shop, as indicated on the playing board. The remaining Scotland Yard cards are not needed and should be returned to the box

Game play proceeds as indicated in BASIC PLAY, including the one Skeleton Key card limit.

OPTIONAL MOVEMENT RULES
Rather than rolling a die for each move, the Hansom Cab Variant works very well.

(Thanks to
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
for the movement variant)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I'll give this a try sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
OPTIONAL MOVEMENT RULES
Rather than rolling a die for each move, the Hansom Cab Variant works very well.

Glad you like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Cindy, it would be wonderful to play this game solo . However, this is an expansion and it is not easy to find the basic game.

Am I assuming that the solo 9obviously) requires the basic game because of the board ?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is for the base game Both the base and the expansions are in the same listing here on BGG. Yes, the board is required for these rules.

Having not seen the expansion, what does it entail? Is it just a list of additional cases/clues/solutions? If it is, I'm certain I could come up with variant rules that would allow you to use the expansion separately by utlilizing a die and a chart that lists the distance between locations with a small diagram of the board.

GM what it includes and I'd be happy to work something out and post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
This is for the base game Both the base and the expansions are in the same listing here on BGG. Yes, the board is required for these rules.

Having not seen the expansion, what does it entail? Is it just a list of additional cases/clues/solutions? If it is, I'm certain I could come up with variant rules that would allow you to use the expansion separately by utlilizing a die and a chart that lists the distance between locations with a small diagram of the board.

GM what it includes and I'd be happy to work something out and post it.

The expansion includes more cases/clues and solutions, as you guessed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but maybe the person who recommended it for solitaire play was thinking of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. It's on a lot of the "good for 1-player" lists. I get the two mixed up, too.

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to try it and the Hansom Cab movement, too.

(P.S. I'm also a scout mom - well, I was until a few years ago.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it and it played well.

Since this is a race game, maybe some type of scoring and timing mechanic could improve solo play?

Possibly we could modify the Threat Track from the Runebound file section to act as a timer and deduct points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.