Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Hammond
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a current game as the Allies, I held Halfaya in Turn 1, and didn't face much of a threat vs. Khartoum. Turn 2 opens with me having the following positions:

Sidi Azeiz: 1 BR BG
Sidi Omar: 1 IND BG (reduced)
Halfaya: AUS 6th, BR 7th Armoured, BR BG (9 AV worth of attack power)
Port Said: IND 4th, 1 BR BG

Kassala: NZ 2nd, 1 BR Armour BG, 1 POL BG
Gallabat: 1 BR BG
Khartoum: 1 BR BG (reduced)

In N.Africa, he has 3 "non-replaceable" IT Divs in the space directly west of my BG in Sidi Azeiz, 2 normal Divs in Tobruk, and 2 Divs and an IT Armor BG in the space just east of Tobruk (Bardia is vacant).

I know my opponents hand this turn, and so does he, since we both didn't carry a card and played Ultra/Code Book Stolen in Turn 1.

We each have the following cards (with Ops number preceeding):
3+ event: CW Rein (two Indian Divs)
2 Victoria Cross
2 Naval Shore Bombardment
3 Minefields
4 Poor Morale (event +2 move/attacks)
2 Matildas CC

I just played Orders from Rome for 3 Ops to get myself to the above position.

He has:
[Played Graziani for 2 Ops in action round 1)
3 IT Reinf (AFR Div)
3 IT Reinf (25th and 60th)
3 IT Reinf (55th and 101st)
2 Bergonzoli CC
2 Severe Weather
2 Disengage

So what so I be doing in Turn 2? Many say to exploit the early Axis weakness in North Africa (before Rommel arrives in Turn 3) but that seems to be somewhat of a waste of time. It's very tough to put the IT units OOS, and little else seems to be worthwhile. Taking Bardia or Tobruk will probably be short-lived due to Rommel, and will incur at least some British losses that will have to be rebuilt for no "permanent" VP gain.

Should I just focus on East Africa? I'm in pretty good shape to make good progress there, as the Italians only have 1 Div on the map and the IT Armor BG is still in the reserve box. Clearly I prob want to attack Keren (with Matildas), and go for Massala and Amba Algi, to get off to a good start at whittling down the IT forces in EA, and grab some future free RPs to boot.

ALSO: what are good tactics to not getting rocked by Rommel in 1941? Start out west of Halfaya, and make a fighting withdrawal to Halfaya and try to hang on there? If the Axis take back Halfaya and have Panzers available, and then play 'Balkan Campaign,' it seems like it's pretty do-able to get next to El Alamein.

Vs. Rommel, should I try a defense in depth with a sprinkling of BGs to force the Axis to use ops to advance? Attrition almost seems to be the best thing - once the German panzer Divs and BGs are back to the replaceable box, it takes a while (RPs, then Ops) for them to come back.

When I play the Indian reinforcements this turn, I probably will place one in India so I'm not caught offguard when 'Iraqi Revolt' comes out.

Thanks in advance for your advice- !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5th_Para_Bde wrote:

Quote:
Vs. Rommel, should I try a defense in depth with a sprinkling of BGs to force the Axis to use ops to advance? Attrition almost seems to be the best thing - once the German panzer Divs and BGs are back to the replaceable box, it takes a while (RPs, then Ops) for them to come back.
When I play the Indian reinforcements this turn, I probably will place one in India so I'm not caught offguard when 'Iraqi Revolt' comes out.

Thanks in advance for your advice- !

As the British vs. Rommel, i think it would be good to have a defense in depth to take away the advantage of mobility that Rommel has! Make them suffer as many casualties as possible to slow their ability to recover! My two cents worth!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hammond
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I think I'll try that. It seems like the Allied player has to be crafty in order to exact just enough attrition (while getting hammered himself) to either get the Panzers off the map, of weakened enough that they are held back for next turn. 'Balkan Campaign' can really break up that plan (and the whole N.African front with it).

Maybe a good tactic is to try to get Massala ASAP to help rebuilding all the Allied units from the above-mentioned attrition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Allied player does have to be super crafty and devious to defeat the Germans.

I think taking Massala is important too!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.