Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3 kids under the age of 4, I don't have much time to play games against opponents. Well, actually, I probably do, there just aren't many people that I know willing to get up at 5am on a Sunday just to maybe get a game of Monpoc in.

So I've started running games in the wee hours before the kids wake up. So far, I've managed two games, the first taking about 3 hours, and the second taking about 90 minutes. Both games have been Ares vs Terra Khan, no Mega forms. I decided to make it a best of three series, with the winner going on to take an a new challenger.

Round 1 occurred in Danger Lake. I've decided to select the map ahead of time, but run everything as a standard game. The Martians at the last moment decided to not take any Reapers, instead running a wolf-pack of 3 Hunters (1 Elite). With only 1 Marauder for this game, the Martians were packed with Vanguards, and had 3 Power Pods and 2 Saucers. Terra Khan's only got on Brontox, but 2 Spikodons, a Bellower and Elite, Pteradactix and Elite, plus one Shadow, and a horde of Raptix. Because of force limits, a single Carnidon rounded out the force.

The Martians set up a power base around a Radar Array and TV High Rise, while the TS secured an Oil Refinery and Bank HQ. With only 1 Marauder, the Martians ended up spending a lot of dice getting into position, and wasted a lot of shots trying to get lucky with their Hunters. The Saurs' high Defense stifled many of the Hunter's shots, while the Martians defense of 2 meant they were spending a lot of time spawning replacements.

Terra Khan struggled to land big damage on Ares, but did whittle the saucer down. Ares missed a couple key attacks, but did end up on the far side and rampaged through the TS's power base. With both monsters seeing their health drop, Ares powered up to protect the Alpha form (1 health left) and pulled a decent Throw attack on Ultra Terra Khan. But it wasn't enough to finish the form, and the big lizard returned the favor my blasting Ultra Ares and knocking it back to Alpha form. Which the TS blasting corp promptly sent crashing to the ground. The rest of the game was trading blows, with Terra Khan's blasting corps once again delivering the final blow. But had they missed, the Martian Vanguards would have been waiting to finish off Terra Khan.

The rematch occurred on Killagain's Island. This was not much of a contest. Terra Khan was extremely limited by the large number of buildings, while Ares flew around and landed several power attacks. Ares KOed both forms before Terra Khan could destroy one.

the final match will occur on Riverside Rampage. I'll have acquired a few more AYB units for Terra Khan to sub into his force. I don't know if a Spikadon and a fleet of Green Fury Vans will change anything, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a random Thursday off to get the kids to a couple mid-week events. They didn't care to see Miss Lori (local PBS kids' personality) but sure enjoyed the chiropractor's office party.

All of which allowed me to play round 3, Ares vs. TK. Terra Khan barely managed to squeak out a first round victory, but was easily pounded in the second. Playing on Riverside Rampage, I thought the rows of buildings might be an equal hindrance to both, and TK's ground-pounding wouldn't matter as much as it did in the second round.

I was wrong.

TK several times found himself unable to close with the Mothership. At least twice, a gang of Vanguards managed to pen him in and protect Ares. Both sides were pretty good about not clustering units, reducing the effectiveness of explosion. And instead of hindering Ares, the rows of buildings ended up being critical, as Ares was several times able to throw TK over a row of buildings or behind some units, and thus make TK unable to retaliate. Ultra Ares only made things worse, as Tk was then limited to Lightning Attack...when he could close enough...or Swats, which proved difficult most of the time.

The Tsaurs didn't get skunked, though, as a good two turn combo between a combined Blast attack lead by a Shadow Spikodon, followed by a Super Damage Swat, downed the Ultra Ares. But the Alpha still had 5 life, and with Ultra TK the only remaining form down to 2 life, the Martians would need to miss...a lot...in order to lose this one. And while the did manage a couple of failed 3A dice power up rolls, they didn't miss when it counted. The final turn of the game saw Alpha Ares retreat behind a wall of screening Vanguards (just in case) and deliver a final crushing Blast attack...something like 5A, 2B, and 6P dice, needing to hit a 4 defense, thanks to the nullifier pod...sending poor Ultra Terra Khan crashing to the ground.

So Ares is now the official champ. The next challenger should be Pteradax, but I'm too eager to try out a morpher, so Tyrranix and the Green Fury truckers are next. For the rest of the games I'll play this way, I'll randomly decide which map to use, as clearly me trying to even things out that way did not work. I've got 6...the 2 starter maps, and both maps from the strategy guides. I'm sure I'll eventually get a map pack to boost that total.

With only 1 Radar Array, I've got some thoughts about the best way to deal with that. It clearly gave the Martians a boost, as it allowed them to spread their Vanguards out more and avoid losing clumps of them to a Spikodon. For the next match, I'll probably re-draft the buildings I have, giving the Radar Array to the Tsaurs. With Ultra Tyrranix lacking any blast attack, and Ultra Ares insulated from most of Tyrranix's Power Attack Crunch attacks, I think giving the Green Fury Truckers the early range boost should give them a leg up. And since I'm going to be "green" running the morpher form, I think they need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny, Tyrranix vs. Ares!
Pteradax was brislting, because he was assured that he was going to be the next challenger. but upstart Tyrranix was eager to try some chomping, so he gets the nod.

Block War is the randomly chosen map. Right off the bat, the Tsaurs make a rookie mistake, putting both oil refineries in their back row. Their setup secures one with the morphers, and the other forms their power base with an apartment building. The Martians go with a power base of a Nuclear power plant and TV Network High Rise. Smashville doesn't present much chance for a lot of securing early on.

With their bases locked down, Ares advances down the Martians' left flank and zaps a Tsaur Bellower. That limits their ability to power up early, but it ended up not mattering as TS rolls three blanks. Right away I can see problems with trying to protect all 4 morphers from power attacks. I try for a convey approach, down the alley on the Martians' right side of the board. The lead Trucker takes out the Martian units with Explosion.

Over the next couple of turns, I make a key mistake with the Morphers. I leave one figure open to a Throw, thinking I can take the 3 damage and in return, maybe inflict 3 or 4 of my own. When Ares comes over to oblige, I realize that the Chrystalline building is withing Body Slam range, and Ares picks up the hapless truck and impales it on the spire. The morphers are one round from defeat already! (The Martians had earlier shot the elad Truck for 1 damage) And without enough power dice to hyper up and attack, the Tsaurs settle for 3 damage using Beat Back from the Rolling Ranch. Ares hypers up and swats a Shadow Pteradactix on the next turn into the Rolling Ranch in retaliation, finishing off the trucks.

And hatching Tyrranix.

Negation has Ares feeling secure. Tyrranix has to settle for as simple brawl attack, but Ares is now down to two life, and the Alpha form is down to 4 or 5. Ares can't hyper down, because Tyrranix will then be free to Throw the mothership for a crunchy damage boost. But it can't survive for long with only 2 life. Ares opts for a quick Throw, but gets defeated over the next two turns as the Tsaur artillery chimes in.

The next set of rounds see Ares pulling the same stunt that finished off Terra Khan, throwing Tyrranix behind buildings and units to limit retaliation. Down to 1 life, Tyrranix grabs a quick snack from an apartment building deep in Martian territory, which is quickly drained by the Martian attack craft of Vanguards and Marauders. Life fading, Tyrranix tries for a swat, knocking Ares down to 2 life. Ares closes in for the final strike, a body slam into Mt. Terra. If Ares misses, Tyrranix's counter will likely end the game. Ares maxes out her dice...5A, 1B, and all 10P dice. All she needs is a 6...which she gets, and Tyrranix gets stuffed down the volcano.

This was a close match, with really the mistake of allowing the body slam into the Chrystalline building being the key moment. Without that, Tyrranix could have lasted another turn, and would have been able to rampage through the Martian's power base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session reports. Keep them coming!

EDIT: I meant to say "reports."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny: Ares vs Tyrranix, Round 2
The Martians have won every initial roll so far, and this match was no exception. Chance determined that Smashville would be the battleground. This has a couple more foundations, and fewer open areas, which should play into protecting the Tsaurs morphers better. That, and I'm certainly more sensitive to how much easier it to for a power attacking monster to align with them.

I've got a trade set up on Monday, but until then, the force mix is the same. The Tsaurs are losing a Bellower and a Pteradactix on Monday, but with one of each, that shouldn't be felt all that much. Maybe a bigger impact will be the loss of an apartment building and skyscraper, although so far High Occupancy hasn't played that big a role.

What has is the Chrystalline Building. Technically it's in the Martians' force mix, and for both of these rounds, it's played a key role in the outcome of the battle.

Both sides are a little cautious at first, especially the Green Fury Truckers. They make sure not to leave one of the morphers out in the open and vulnerable. This slows the advance, but Smashville's center area is densely packed with buildings, allowing them to hide out and attack without fear of a throw or body slam retaliation.

Ares likewise is a hesitant, not wanting to get too far ahead of her covering units. She takes an early shot at a Bellower.

The Tsaur counter is slightly more effective. First, the Truckers advance for a combined blast attack, taking out a screening unit and pinging Alpha Ares for a point. When the Martians counter is to use a Vanguard lead combined attack to hit the morphers, the Tsaurs launch a combined Spikodon attack taking out another screening unit and pinging Alpha Ares.

The Green Fury Truckers are doing a good job of driving circles around Ares, but one of them lets off an gets in position to be body slammed into a Skyscraper. The 3 damage brings the alpha down to 2, but also exposes Alpha Ares in a very bad way. Tyrranix powers up and gets in position for a throw. Ares goes right into the Chrystalline Building for 5 damage, finishing her off. And right away, Tyrranix powers down. Because his base is half on water, two of the truckers take cover in the alleys, but the Rolling Ranch and Foxjaw FTW stick around.

Ultra Ares probably should have thought more about withdrawing, but with the morphers down to 2 life, feels the need to press the advantage. Plus they couldn't get a power pod close enough without using Transport to get off a Refuel. Instead, the Marauders lead an attack on a Pteradactix that takes the Truckers down to 1 life.

Like sharks smelling blood, the Tsaurs ignore the smaller Martian units, and stay focused on the Mothership. They know that Tyrranix's main attacks...Crunchy Power attacks...are useless against Ares. The Rolling Ranch leads a combined Charge, and Beats the Mothership back into an Oil Refinery. The 3 damage takes ares down to 2 life.

Ares has to plan her next attack carefully. The Martians have decided to not try and fight defensively, but instead want to take the Truckers out now. Ares positions herself for a swat that won't leave her vulnerable to a Crunchy Swat in return. She chooses a Brontox, and sends it crashing into the Rolling Ranch. The Truckers are once again defeated, but this time, instead of facing a full powered Ultra Ares, he faces one that's down a form and battered.

And with Truckers spread out pretty evenly across the Tsaur side of the map, Tyrranix appears very close to Ares, at the cost of only a shadow Pteradactix. Ares is out of action dice, and Tyrranix has a full pool of action and power dice (there must have been a unit turn for one or the other I missed in here somewhere). Tyrranix fixes to just beat the fight out of Ares, and that's what he proceeds to do. The Martians do manage a single offensive against Tyrranix with their units, but it's far too little too late. Tyrranix takes back to back Brawl turns against Ultra Ares, and she crashes, defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny Tyrranix v Ares, round 3
Block War is the map again. It's probably an even map, with some alleys and narrow spaces making protecting the Green fury Truckers not too hard. I've made some trades since last round, so the Martians are sporting the Statue of Liberty now, which I decide I'll balance out by giving the Tsaurs the Radar array. The Tsaurs secure that and an Oil Refinery on turn 1, while the Martians take the SoL and a TV Network.

The Martians won the roll (which I think they have every game), so Ares starts out down the Martian's left alley, stepping a little to blast a Raptix. She hits, disrupting the Tsaur power base. Which she needed, since she tanked the opening Power Up Roll.

The Green Fury Truckers advance enough to take out a Saucer and Power Pod, and move the Rolling Ranch into the central cluster of buildings.

The Martians spawn some Vanguards, but miss their shot against the advancing GFTs. The Tsaurs re-secure their power base, and start spreading out their blasters, which hit Ares for a point. A pair of Raptix (1 elite) move over and take a bite out of Ares, while the Tsaurs use the Beacon ability from Mt. Terra to move a GFT into better position.

Ares advances a little, but can't step over the Raptix to get a good Rampage in. She settles for a stomp that takes out the Raptix and the Radar array.

In return, Ultra Tyrranix appears and Rampages through the Martian powerbase. Gone are the SoL, TV network, and a handful of units.

Ares activates again, powers up, and moves over to stomp, taking out the oil refinery and more Tsaurs. Both sides have now lost their main powerbase.

Tyrranix moves over and stomps, taking out an power plant and more Martian units. Then he powers down, with half his base on water. The GFTs put the Rolling Ranch and Foxjaw FTE in range of Ares.

The Martian Marauders appear, using Explosion to put two damage on the GFTs left in their territory.

The Tsaur units spawn some blasters to shield the GFTs, and hit Ultra Ares for a point.

Ares body slams the Rolling Ranch, making them very close to defeat. With Negation in play, Hypering up won't do much, so the GFTs pull off a pretty good move, Summoning a Spikasur, then hitting Ares with the Rolling Ranch. Beat Back knocks Ares right through the Spikasaur.

But Ares' retaliation is a Swat that finishes off the GFTs. With Ultra Ares so deep in Tsaur territory, I decide it might be better to place Tyrranix on the Martian side of the board, hoping to lure Ares back where the big dino can land some Crunchy swat damage. It might have been better to keep Ares surrounded by Tsaur units, where Raptix and Spikosaur squads could have done 1-3 damage on a unit turn.

Instead, the strategy does work...Ares follows Tyrranix back to the Martian side, where Swat and Rage work to keep Tyrranix in power dice. But eventually, the action dice run out, and Tyrranix has to give up an activation. Which really didn't matter...his last attack left him vulnerable to a big Smash, and Ares obliges. With Ultra Ares out of commission, and Alpha Ares down to 2 health, this probably cost the Tsaurs the game, as they might have pulled off the win. Instead, Tyrranix gets smashed 8 spaces, through an Office building and into the Insurance HQ. the 4 damage attack is all that Tyrranix can take, and the Martian Mothership wins another match.

Much as I love my Tsaurs...and I just picked up another Terra Khan at Wizard World today...I think they need a rest. I'll try to get another match in, and I think this one will finally have a chance at doing Ares in. Maybe I'll let chance decide, whether it's Gorghadra, Xaxor, or Sky Sentinel. I still don't have a Repair Truck, but I will next week, so I think I'm leaning toward the Planet Eaters right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny, New Challenger: Gorghadra!
I recently gave in to fate, and traded for a Planet Eaters force. My very first monster was Gorghadra, and despite putting him on the trading block from the start, he remained in my collection. With Xaxor joining him around Father's day, I decided to give up the fight and get some support units. It's not a very well-made force, with only 1 Destructimite, and an elite at that, two Chomper Elites with 2 more grunts, 2 Explodohawks, one Shadow version, a Belcher, Constrictor Elite, 2 Explodomites, and a Scorcher fleet, 1 Elite and 2 grunts, and a Crawler. Going up against the Martians, that's a lot of ground pounders that can't do much but secure buildings.

The battle took place on Block War. For once, the Martians didn't win the roll-off. With power bases secure, Gorghadra lead by Rampaging into the middle of the map. That 7 health on Alpha Gorghada gave him a feeling of if not invulnerability, then at least a toughness to take whatever Ares could dish out. And dish Ares would, smashing Gorghadra deep into Martian territory and through the Chrystalline buildings. This 4-damage opening move really gave the Martians a lot of momentum.

A pair of Explodohawks would blunt that somewhat. With a Crawler nearby to make Ares easier to hit, both hit. But the Martian units would quickly hem Gorghadra in, preventing him from landing a retaliatory power attack against Ares. That's all they could do, as the Vanguards failed to hit.

But it left open a path to the Martian power base. Gorghadra set up to rampage through an oil refinery and the Statue of Liberty...and missed. Stymied, all he could do was roar in rage. Small consolation, the Martian Vanguards could not hit his 5 defense.

But Ares was pressing the attack. Because Gorghadra had been stopped in his rampage, he was still in range. Ares burned through a full Action dice well to get close enough, and threw Gorghadra into the Oil Refinery. That was all the Alpha form could take.

Seeking revenge, the PEs sent more Explodohawks in, this time scoring a single hit. The Martians could not fully screen Ares, and failed to hit Gorghadra again. With nothing to get in the way, the big PE monster lined up and threw Alpha Ares into an Office Building. With Annihilate, this was enough to finish off Ares.

Now Ultra Ares tried to get revenge, but figured the angle wrong and only managed to throw Gorgadra into the Statue of Liberty. Still, that took the PE monster down to only 3 life, while Ultra Ares was deep on the Martian side of the map, full health, and while Negation wouldn't blunt Annihilate, it would limit Gorghadra to just doing Super Damage.

Sensing the end, and with Ares too far across the map to get in range with the Scorchers or Explodohawks, Gorghadra tries to force out a back to back to back monster activation. He tries to arrange Swat attacks, since they'll generate a power dice, but Ares Negation forces him to spend Action dice advancing. The PEs do get a Shadow Explodohawk eventually within range to add to the damage, and eventually somehow Gorghadra gets Ares down to 1 life left, while Gorghadra still has 3. Ares has to pull off a desperation Smash. If it lands, the Maritans win. If it misses, Gorghadra is sitting on enough power dice to finish off the Mothership.

It wasn't really desperation, as Ares had something like 7 power dice, 2 Boost dice, and 3 action dice, but it was still a little tense. In the end Ares wins...again.

Observations on the PE force: Since I traded away my Belcher group, and only have 1 grunt left, they are woefully understaffed in the Blast department. I've got a decent number of Scorchers, and the Radar Array will boost them to 5 range, so next round I'll need to work to advance them.

I also need to a little less aggressive with Gorghadra. It's amazing, even though playing both side, how you can miss something like leaving your backside open after Rampaging. Must be a visual thing, since the building is still on the board while you're planning. But overall, Gorghadra is a beast, and Super Damage on all attacks in Ultra form really does open up the range of attacks you can make.

The next round will be interesting. I'm getting very adept at using Ares, but with a little more experience, I think Gorghadra has a very good chance at dethroning the champ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Eaters are all about unit synergy. I know everyone says that GUARD is the synergy force, it's really more apparent with PE.

Crawlers give weaken, Destructomites give flank, Constrictors have penetrator, and Xaxor grants Jump and Charge to all PE units. Chompers can grant super damage to your monsters. Explodomites and lend a bunch of boost dice to the attacks, and the Comet shards can grant Leadership to any unit (Even if that unit type doesn't have an Elite).

You can throw these elements together in so many wonderful ways. Explodohawks with Charge (and leadership) attacking monsters under the influence of Weaken and Flank, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Xaxor in the wings, and I figure with jump the units will be more effective. One of the goals I'm trying to get...and why I'm playing matches...is to get experience with all the monsters and units I have, both so I can play them better, and play against them better. The more I play with Ares and the Martians, the harder they are to beat, because I'm learning more about how to use them effectively.

That's also why I think Gorghadra's going to come back and win round 2. I learned a lot about the PE force I have in that loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny Gorghadra vs Ares, round 2
I've not been able to post summaries close to the actual game. But this was a beat down. Ares took command early, and never let up. Gorghadra really didn't stand a chance, losing both forms while Ares lost none.

Gorghadra was hindered by the map...Kill Again's Island. I've found this to be a bad map for walkers in the past, with Ares able to fly around and power attack at will, while the walker struggles to both get into position and defend. The Planet Eaters force I have is also ill-suited to take on the nearly all-flying Martians. With mostly Scorchers for ranged attacks, the PE unit turns mostly relied on trying to get Explodohawks into position. It just wasn't enough. Ares sweeps Gorghadra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny Terra Khan vs Ares, the Rematch!
After playing Terra Khan in a two-monster tourny...and losing mostly because he's squishy...and failing to beat Ares with him, I traded him in a deal that included Phobos 7, a monster I'm looking forward to pairing with Ares someday. Upon learning that I'd traded TK away, my son commented "but I like Terra Khan."

So at the recent Chicago Comic Con, I'd promised him that if we found a reasonably priced Terra Khan, we'd buy it. So come the end of our time, he remembered, and we found one, and we bought it. Of course, he wanted me to give TK another shot at Ares. This time, I had some new ideas I wanted to try.

I'd set up my Terrasaurs in the past somewhat generically. This time, I wanted to use units that could better support TK, so I took fewer blast units, using just the shadow Spikodon and single Bellower and Elite pair. With them went 3 Raptix and 1 elite, the Shadow and Grunt Pteradactix, with 1 Elite, the Brontox, both Spikasaurs, and the grunt and elite Green Fury Vans.

TK was a little more cautious, being very careful to not allow Ares to set up for a power attack. mostly, this was successful. The map was Killer Canals, and the teleporter spaces allowed the Raptix to launch many attacks against Ares. Ares had mixed luck using the many water spaces to limit the times the Raptix swarm could get her, and the Pteradactix's would often fill in during those times. All in all, Terra Khan was more than holding his own. At the end of the game, both monsters were just a pair of turns away from defeat. The Terrasaurs had the initiative, and just needed Terra Khan to start the beginning of Ares' end with a successful Swat...but while the initial attack hit, the second attack against Ares fell short a strike. Ares' managed to land a blast attack on her turn, felling Ultra Terra Khan. Then, to add insult to injury, the Raptix pack...effective up till this point...whiffed on their turn, managing to roll all blanks on three action and 6 boost dice. The next Martian turn, the Vanguard fleet moved in for the kill, and didn't miss.

So, Terra Khan loses again...but only because of two key misses at the end of the game. The Tsaurs were hampered by the map, as I didn't put the Brontox in a very secure position, and he got Brawled by Ares early in the game and never really was able to get back into the game. That made using the lone Spikodon (shadow) very difficult and costly to bring into play. But it did show me how Terra Khan, squishy as he is, can be effective when his units work harder to support him.

It also just supplements the idea how the Martians just roll in power dice. Even with few buildings secured, just a couple well-placed Power Pods can keep Ares fed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny Pteradax vs. Ares, FINALLY
So, technically, Terra Khan should get another round against Ares. But it was a rematch, and I think I'd played enough walkers against Ares that I wanted to start seeing how she does against a flyer. And Pteradax has waited so long for her chance...yeah, with Summon and the Rodan flavor, Pteradax comes off as her for me.

Once again, Killer Canals comes up as the map. The Martians had won the roll off against Terra Khan and stuck him with the side of the map that Pteradax, now winning the roll, willingly chooses. Terra Khan found it hampered him...Pteradax plans better. I've also got an extra, non-Shadow Spikodon, and no elite Green Fury Van.

Right away, I notice some key things...defense 7 is a lit harder to hit than 5 or 6. unit attacks that landed easily on Terra Khan have to work harder to hit Pteradax. Also, facing a a fast, flying monster is hard.

Ares enters Ultra form early to protect against power attacks, and I think this was a mistake. Pteradax has higher defense and overall health, meaning a game of trading attacks and unit damage is going to end with an Ares defeat. And once Pteradax effectively makes a nest in the middle of the Martians powerbase, that's what it looks like it's going to be. The tide finally turns when Ultra Pteredax, down to 3 health, manages to bring the Green Fury Van over using a teleport space, and via Follow Through, lands a swat and then a brawl on a Vanguard, making use of Munch.

Ares has to do something, so she gets in a last shot, then takes off for some healing herself. The monsters trade powerbase destruction, but Ares is running out of time. Her Ultra form, having absorbed a lot of early damage, can't take much more, so she has to drop out of it for a turn or two. In the end, the game ends pretty dramatically, with a Raptix pack tearing Ultra Ares out of the sky, allowing Pteradax to heave the giant saucer onto a Spikasaur for the final blow.

Had Ares protected her Ultra form more she could have Rampaged or stomped to clear away the buildings that Pteradax was hiding in, setting up a throw for several damage. But with the Ultra form battered from earlier in the game, she couldn't risk the potential counter attack.

So, Ares is beat, and I know I should play another round, but I've got more monsters to play. My Repair Vehicle came today, so I'll either give the GUARD a shot against a different Martian monster, or let Tyrranix have a go at them. In order to get two new monsters to the practice table, I'll likely try Legionnaire against Phobos 7 or Tharsis 5. Or maybe Xaxor give a non-Martian game a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, with a week passing between games, I opted to stick to my format and have the obligatory rematch. I'd stuck with Ares as champion so long, I felt she was owed a shot at honestly defending her title. Plus, there were some things I'd wanted to try based on what happened last game.

I don't think I made any unit modifications. I've got a second Radar Array now, and I'm approaching 24 total buildings, almost enough to field two full cities.

Danger Lake comes up as the map, meaning even with my less than full building choice, some will not make it to the map. The Martians win...again...somewhat typically, as they are the invader and maybe should go first.

So the Martians try to set up their power base. In an effort to use the Power Pod and Power space on their side of the board, it's a little more advanced that they should be comfortable with. But what's a game without risks?

The Tsaurs respond, setting up their own initial secured buildings...the Statue of Liberty and an Apartment Building. With the way the Tsaurs rely on their elite units, including the Shadow Spikodon, and the Shadow Pteradactix, I've decided that Discount should come in handy. I set up Mt. Terra opposite the Apartment Building, giving the Tsaurs some No Fly Zone protection from a Danger Island area rampage. With the Brontox on the Power Zone, the Tsaurs bring in a Nested Shadow Spikodon, who promptly advances and blasts the forward Power Pod. Explosion takes out the Saucer as well. The Martians now have no buildings secured and no Power spaces held.

No big deal, Ares will just waltz over and brawl a building for some much needed P dice. Except Ares' flimsy arms don't seem up to the task. I get a chuckle on the image of a T-Rex feebly scrabbling against the side of a building.

Pteradax advances and uses her long range blast to take out an advanced Despoiler. The Martian forces are not faring well. They try to rescure their buildings, and also manage to score a hit against Pteradax with some Vanguards. Power Gorge grants them their first P die.

But the Tsaur blasters once again counter the Martian powerbase, And with Ares sitting on no powerdice, they don't see much need in running interference for her.

Things would go downhill from here. Without any P dice, Ares couldn't manage much. She couldn't hyper up to protect herself from power attacks until late, and while the Martian units were wearing Pteradax down, her 7 defense meant they could only get one shot off a turn. After hypering up to protect the Alpha with 1 life, Ultra Pteradax proved to be very mobile and would swat and Followthrough her way to victory. Ares is defeated in a sweep that sees her fail to destroy a form.

Next I'll give the Legionairre a try. My first GUARD outing, with Pteradax looking to defend her shiny new crown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny Legionairre vs. Pteradax
This is only my third or fourth game with a Morpher, and my first with Legionairre and GUARD. The map is Riverside Rampage, and this plays well into the GUARD tactics.

Pteradax gets trashed in this, but mostly because of several key mistakes. The Shield tanks advance and disrupt the Terrasaur power base, preventing the generation of more than a couple power dice a turn. Pteradax then spends two turns failing to destroy the advanced GUARD defense installation. By the time the Terrasaur forces turn to destroying GUARD units for power dice, Alpha Pteradax is already defeated, and Ultra Legionairre is pressing a near insurmountable lead. Adding insult to injury, GUARD advances a repair vehicle through a teleporter to give Legionairre a bit more health. The game ends with Pteradax again failing to land a blow...this time directly against the GUARD robot. Legionairre moves in for the finishing move, a Tossing uppercut that ironically lands the big dino on top of the very Defense Base he'd spent so much time trying to destroy.

My first mistake was setting Pteradax diagonally away from Legionairre. Going second, I should not have been worried about a first turn power attack. This would have prevented or made more difficult the GUARD's disruption of secured buildings. It also would have made the GUARD play more defensively. With Pteradax so low on power dice, the morphers had very little fear of getting thrown or body slammed at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collection Mini Tourny Legionairre vs Pteradax round 2
Round 2 takes place on Smashville. I'm feeling some pressure on Pteradax, as she very ably took down multi-monster champ Ares, but floundered against GUARD in round 1. Smashville creates some different options, including a power base that's set farther back from the opponent's spawn points. Also, the water around the middle of the map would be impassable to the Shield tanks.

GUARD wins the roll...Terrasaurs never seem to take intiative. Both sides establish decent power bases, but GUARD secures an impressive 4 buildings in both corners. The Shield tanks advance down the left GUARD flank, using a pre-emptive strike on an apartment building to limit Pteradax's snacking options later. Pteradax takes out an oil refinery, supplementing a meager initial power up.

With the Shield thanks pretty much isolated on their side of the map, Pteradax steps and advances deep into GUARD territory, putting some hurt on an exposed Gladius jet. She takes a couple of hits from G1 strike fighter formations, but ends up putting the morphers down to 2 life left. Her alpha's 7 defense helps limit the damage she takes during GUARD unit turns, but she has to enter Ultra mode anyway. This allows her to pull off a swat/brawl combo on the Gladius jets, whose 4 defense really doesn't put up much of a fight.

With little choice, the Legionairre morphers form up, and Ultra Legionairre enters the fight. He lands a good Toss uppercut and a body slam, but Ultra Pteradax has 7 life, and can absorb the punishment. Legionairre's 7 defense prevents the swat/brawl combo, and with a repair vehicle safe in the corner, the Terrasaurs need to call in some artillery to even things out. The GUARD air force tries to run interference and protect Legionairre, but with things looking grim, they have to split and try for a desperate move to try and finish off Ultra Pteradax.

She's down to 3 life, and with some luck, the morphers can pull off a two attack turn that will put her down for good. They split off, and Shield 4 and Gladius 1 lead off. This is the critical attack, as they need Crunch to go off to deal Super Damage. Without a successful and crunchy attack here, GUARD's chance of prevailing looks slim.

The first rolls falls, and it's a...miss. But Gladius 1 has Marker, and allows a re-roll. With the best targeting in the world, the strike lands...but only a glancing blow. No super strikes are rolled, and the attack deals only 1 damage.

With a successful power-up, Pteradax is stacking 9 P dice. She's got no need to stockpile them, and with Legionairre's high defense, she needs every P die she can get. So her pool is empty when Shield 3 and Gladius 2 make their follow-up attack. Overload will have no impact here.

The attack easily hits, and Ultra Pteradax drops to 1 health. But the GUARD power pool is empty, and the morphers only have 2 life left.

Ultra Pteradax powers up and easily throws the Gladius 1 jet onto some flaming wreckage, ending the morphers. With Legionairre forming once again, she falls back to an apartment building for a quick snack.

Her now 2 life mean little as Legionairre body slams her onto the Crystalline building. A little overkill, but they need the P dice.

Legionairre's got 1 life left. he's only facing Alpha Pteradax, but the Tsaur monster pool is empty. Legionairre gets immolated under the combined fire from 2 Spikodons, a Bellower, and a pair of Green Fury Vans. Pteradax forces a round 3.

This was a tough match, with the deciding factor being the Shield tanks getting stuck out of the action deep on one side of the map. That, and underestimating Pteradax's mobility. The turning point was when Pteradax exploited an unprotected Gladius jet.

Even with that, she was herself deep in GUARD territory, and struggled to deal with Legionairre. His Toss trigger allowed him to threaten the Dino with multiple damage attacks without regard to spacing.

Meanwhile, I failed to get Ultra Pteradax's follow through to be effective in healing. The Green Fury Vans were never advanced deep enough, and probably wouldn't have lasted long enough to pull it off had they made the attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.