5 Posts

Lord of the Rings» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Sauron reclaims his ring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, today I played LOTR for the 6th time. (Just got the game on Friday.) Here's a quick rundown of my strategy.

Go through Moria, nearly complete the main line, pick up the pipe card, and get out of there before you're Trapped!.

Then, play the pipe card, and whatever other handshakes you've acquired to pick up all those Helm's deep feature cards (including the Riders of Rohan, if you can make it in time.)

In Shelob's lair, we try to pick up gollum and faramir, and then burn what remaining non-travel double cards we have.

In Mordor, it's the famed Mordor sprint, using all those wonderful cards.

So, Games 1-5...

1: 4 hobbits, Sauron on 15. We won by a mile.
2: 2 hobbits, Sauron on 15. We won without too much trouble.
3: 4 hobbits, Sauron on 12. This one was a killer. We kept drawing events in Mordor before we could play that final travelling card to get to Mount Doom. 3 hobbits fell before we made it up there, and finally destroyed the ring. (Pippin was the sole survivor) After the fact, I realized one of the players had the Phial card left, and could have played it to save us all that misery... (I was our strategist though, so it was my fault...) shake
4: 2 hobbits, Sauron on 12. Both hobbits were but one space from Sauron when we dunked the ring
5: 2 hobbits, Sauron on 12. Moria nearly killed us. Sauron had advanced several times, thanks to three events happening before we played a card. (Rolling a 3 corruption on preparations didn't help either.) Only a couple turns later, Gandalf told us to "Fly you fools!" Thankfully, Lothlorien gave us a chance to restock. We then managed to blow through an easy Helm's deep, and that chance to regroup let us dunk the ring again.

6: So, at this point, I'm beginning to think "Is this game just a little to easy?" I considered upping Sauron to 10, but decided to do one more game with him at 12. Going with just Frodo and Sam, I set out.

Well, the preparations were quite uneventful, as I rolled a discard 2 cards on the die. Score! At Rivendell, we missed out on Athelas, Gimli, Boromir, and... (I forgot the last one... blush ) Anyway, we went into Moria.

After the last game, I was slightly wary of the mines, but it proved quite easy. The only damage was one corruption to Frodo from a missing life token, and sauron advancing once when he put on the ring.

Moving into Lothlorien, we missed out on Galadrial (I know I spelled that wrong), Box of earth, brooch, and another card I forgot (again. blush ) Using our recovery to gather some cards, we headed confident into Helm's deep.

At this point, Sauron was MAD. It seems he was merely gathering his forces to crush us once and for all.

In the first turn, we drew 3 event tiles. Sauron marched down several spaces. Using some double fightings, we advanced down the main line (while gathering some of the cards... the Mordor sprint hadn't failed yet...) However, I felt a sense of impending doom, so Frodo donned the ring... and rolled 3 corruption. yuk He was now only a few spaces from Sauron. Pausing to get Sam some ring tokens, we ran out of there as the Orcs brought the Fire of Orthanc...

Shelob's lair was relatively kind. After canceling an event tile with the staff, we picked up faramir, and some life tokens. (Due to our dash out of Helm's deep, Frodo was only a space from Saruon.) Then, Gollum came along, and Frodo picked him up, as he was carrying 10 shields by this point. So, Frodo decided to use his newfound friend as an escape route. Using both him and Aragorn, he raced up the main line, using Mithril to block the 3 corruption he rolled. (I rolled that a LOT this game...) Then, Sam donned the ring, and thankfully rolled a blank. We were one space from the end, but Frodo had one more ring token than Sam, and was only one space from Sauron while Sam was four away. So, sam paused to pick up a token of his own. And that's when Shelob's lair played its nastiest trick. Frodo drew a Hiding tile, sending him into an unwanted ring token, and ensuring that he would be the ring bearer through Mordor...cry

Finally, weary beyond belief, our poor hobbits entered Mordor. Which was nastier than usual. Having burned a couple double travels and double wilds to make it through previous boards, the Mordor sprint looked doubtful this time. However, they bravely persevered. And got squashed. Choosing to heal from both Gandalf, and Sam saving him, Frodo retreated several steps down the corruption line. Then, the lord of the nazgul struck, and Frodo marched back up to Sauron. Using Gandalf's magic to avoid the battle of the pelonnor fields, the hobbits then faced the mouth of sauron. Thankfully, Frodo had picked up a sun token thanks to some random tile draws, and avoided the worst of it as Sam weathered the blow. As Sam played his last double travel, Frodo looked at the situation. They were three steps from mount doom, with the two die roll spaces left. There was only one thing for it, as Frodo donned the ring. And it turned out, that Sauron was just around the corner, as another 3 corruption took Frodo right into the Eye. sauron

In a way, I'm glad we lost, because I originally thought the game might be a tad on the easy side. I'm ready to take on Sauron again, and even more ready to BE Sauron... as soon as that Sauron expansion arrives...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:
Finally, weary beyond belief, our poor hobbits entered Mordor. Which was nastier than usual. Having burned a couple double travels and double wilds to make it through previous boards, the Mordor sprint looked doubtful this time.

Whoah, where did you manage to "waste" double-travels? Helm's Deep? Shelob's Lair? Man, I never bother with the Travel line at HD, just rush the Main line, hoping to pick up Theoden, maybe Shadowfax along the way. Shelob's Lair Travel gets even less action, I want every double travel I can have for Mordor (ideally it would be Theoden + Shadowfax + Faramir + Gollug = 9 of 13 spaces; true, I think 3 of those are white, so doesn't quite work like that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first of all I had to use up Shadowfax to keep fire of orthanc from burning us, as a travel card was drawn from the deck, and it was either that, Theoden, or a double wild. Second of all, I used gollum to get us out of Shelob's lair... after the fiasco in Helm's deep, I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, but we were drained of fighting cards. So, although I still had some double travels and I think one double wild left, we were not in the best shape. But yeah, we usually play those cards you listed, and sometimes Gandalf (the rivendell double travel card) and a double wild as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, HD sucks as far as Events go. If I can get out with all hobbits (been playing with just 2 for the most part) taking 2 corruption (since each should get 1x Ring token from the main line) but with Events at 1 of 6, I'll take it. If you start seeing 3rd and 4th Event, doo-doo is getting too high for my liking. Friends & Foes generally means you skip HD (or should if at all possible IMO), while Battlefields adds nice little issues on the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, aside from mordor, this place might very well have the nastiest event track, especially if you draw events 2&3 early. Figures that we'd draw a stream of events in exactly those two boards. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.