Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So about this pit spell. 2x2 area pit monsters fall in and die on a 1 or 2. Now as far as I know there are no rules to define what should happen if there is no space for the monsters to evade the space (blocked by walls and/or other monsters/warriors).

My group has been playing it that if they can't physically find space they are dropped into the pit and die however we have been limiting it to 1 pit per board section. Even with that it still hasn't totally balanced itself out as dungeon rooms and especially objective rooms tend to fill up quickly. Also as a defensive measure the pits block heavy hitting melee monsters from getting in close and if the room is shaped oddly (pits and trap rooms and a few objective rooms) can easily force the monsters into a funnel or block them off completely.

So how do other people play this spell? Its still one of the most over powered spells even by level 5 and seems to net the wizard most of the high powered monster kills with ease. Did we miss something in the rules that makes this less of a powerhouse? I understand if used incorrectly it can block off paths but this is easily countered through flight items and spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M P
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bobthebobish wrote:
So about this pit spell. 2x2 area pit monsters fall in and die on a 1 or 2. Now as far as I know there are no rules to define what should happen if there is no space for the monsters to evade the space (blocked by walls and/or other monsters/warriors).

My group has been playing it that if they can't physically find space they are dropped into the pit and die however we have been limiting it to 1 pit per board section. Even with that it still hasn't totally balanced itself out as dungeon rooms and especially objective rooms tend to fill up quickly. Also as a defensive measure the pits block heavy hitting melee monsters from getting in close and if the room is shaped oddly (pits and trap rooms and a few objective rooms) can easily force the monsters into a funnel or block them off completely.

So how do other people play this spell? Its still one of the most over powered spells even by level 5 and seems to net the wizard most of the high powered monster kills with ease. Did we miss something in the rules that makes this less of a powerhouse? I understand if used incorrectly it can block off paths but this is easily countered through flight items and spells.

No I don't think you missed anything. Even at level 9 it still sees some regular use with my Wizard in our current games. Using it as an obstacle to funnel Monsters or cut them off from the party is good strategy and this is what it still gets used for at high levels with us.

We have no limit to the number of pits on a board section. If a Monster is blocked by walls or other models we have it get pushed back to the next available opening. Perhaps not realistic. Another option I used several years ago when a different group and I played was that if a monster doens't fall into the pit but can't move off it that we just left the Monster on the Pit tile and said that he's at the edge but didn't fall in.

Glad to hear the Wizard is using his Spells wisely!
~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Warrior
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobthebobish wrote:

My group has been playing it that if they can't physically find space they are dropped into the pit and die however we have been limiting it to 1 pit per board section.

I here quote from the Pit of Despair's description in the RolePlay Book:

Quote:
On a score of 3, 4, 5 or 6 it scrambles out of the way - place it in any empty square on this or any adjacent board section. If there are no empty squares available the model falls into the pit anyway.

In regards to the other concerns (balance issues), I have mostly played with this spell at higher levels in my solo games. I just never have used it much, but yes, I sometimes use it for tactical advantage -- limiting the monsters' access to my Warriors. There are so many things the monsters can do to kill the Warriors even without being able to attack them in hand-to-hand combat. Also, remember some of the higher level monsters with their dispel magic ability will often be able to prevent it.

(edit -- added this paragraph) If my Wizard does not begin with Pit of Despair, I usually find other spells much more interesting when gaining new spells. I sometimes only select Pit of Despair, if that is one of the very few options left for the particular dice I rolled for my new spells.

Often it seems a combat's outcome or difficulty is greatly determined by who gets to 'shoot first' -- whether by literal shooting, or by powerful spell casting. So, again, at higher levels, the monsters who show up which can ambush (especially with Ambush Magic) can really turn the tide of combat in favor of the monsters.

Note: In my games (house rule), I do not allow the Wizard to cast Attack spells at any time. He can only cast offensive magic during his turn within the Warriors' Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.