Subject: Team games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Aaron
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still relatively new to boardgaming, but in the time I've spent so far researching, there seems to be a dearth of good team games. There are solid cooperative games where players team up against the board, or one player is pitted against a group, but not too many where a team of two or more players is able to pool their unique resources and mental faculties against another team of players. Quality teamwork is often what makes so many competitive sports enjoyable, but it doesn't seem so frequent in boardgaming, with only a small handful of games I've heard of thus far fitting this description, such as Tichu. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it isn't more common? Perhaps the mechanics are difficult to make it work well, especially when it comes to players of different skill/experience levels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of some:

Inkognito
Shadow Hunters
Dune (alliances)
Carolus Magnus
König von Siam
Napoleon's Triumph (special rules for 4p)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Kameoka
United States
San Gabriel
California
flag msg tools
mb
How about these?

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Kraków 1325 AD
Castle of Magic
Axis & Allies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two main areas where I see teams are in trick taking games and party/word games. Inklings, Password, Taboo, Backseat Drawing, and Crokinole are some fine games in the latter category.

Four-player Nexus Ops is neither of those, but if you enjoy that style of game, it's a great experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also try Bughouse Chess, Bridge, or The Castle of the Devil.

To address the larger point, I think one difference between sports and boardgames is that in some sports it is physically impossible for one player to perform all of the required tasks (e.g. defending the goal and scoring), so teamwork is a natural consequence.

In contrast, most boardgames do not have that limitation, and some other factor is necessary to motivate division of labor. In many team games, information is hidden and communication is limited. In others, the division is based on history. But even in the absence of those factors, many nominally free-for-all games can be played with each "player" controlled by a small group, sometimes very successfully. For example, there is a team-based version of Diplomacy (I wish I could recall the link) in which players are given specific roles. Marshals are allowed to meet individually with other Marshals, Diplomats all meet together, and Kings actually write the orders. Of course, looser arrangements are even easier. For example, Settlers works fine when a side is played by a couple, rather than a single player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations is usually team versus scenario, but can be played team versus team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iliad
Pacific Typhoon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.