Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Worldwide (boardgames and miniatures) Shop map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I visit new cities and nations and I always think: «Damn, if I only remembered to ask a few days ago on BGG if there are Boardgame shops (nice souvenir) here».

So I started to imagine an interface, using google maps api, to create a visual list of shops in town.

You can add, modify or remove a shop.

Each shop description should be include (at least, what else do you suggest?):

Name, Address, email, website, telephone, fax, opening time, if specialized in geekstuff (normal game shop with for example robots and dolls too or not), sells miniatures, sells boardgames, sells wargames.

What do you think about it?
Something always there can be populated better than just a thread in a forum section.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Watson
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would be a great idea, but I think keeping the list up to date and useful could be a challenge.

Many stores listed within the forums for my area no longer exist.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The is a Game Store Database called GameStoreDB.com

It is also listed here at BGG under Bazaar | GameStoreDB.com on the menu.

The data is a out of date, and is meant to be user updatable but I have not been able to add or edit existing entries.

1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
This is an excellent idea - and we could do it with no programming needed by using the BGG wiki. Then it would stay up to date as everyone could edit it to reflect new shops or dead shops.

Perhaps a separate wiki page for each country? (And a separate wiki page for each US state?) Use some regular title for all the pages, e.g. "Game stores by region: PL", "Game stores by region: US-TX", etc?
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DocWat232 wrote:
I think that would be a great idea, but I think keeping the list up to date and useful could be a challenge.

Many stores listed within the forums for my area no longer exist.



It is player's interest to keep the map up to date.

Shops in each player's city (or in a city often attended by him/her) can be easily kept under control...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
This is an excellent idea - and we could do it with no programming needed by using the BGG wiki. Then it would stay up to date as everyone could edit it to reflect new shops or dead shops.

Perhaps a separate wiki page for each country? (And a separate wiki page for each US state?) Use some regular title for all the pages, e.g. "Game stores by region: PL", "Game stores by region: US-TX", etc?


No. My idea is having a browseable map like the one @ maps.google.com.
There you will find one "reversed drop" indicator, one for each shop with its information.

A list would be difficult to categorize and search.
A visual map would solve these problems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I agree an interactive map would be cool and even better than a wiki text version. I am just guessing that Aldie is not likely to have time/inclination to program such an application any time soon, and so a wiki text version could be a good interim solution. (And provide a handy central up-to-date source from which to take the data if/when the map application gets created.)

It could also be a good simple way to test whether there is enough interest among BGG users to actually enter such data for their region and to keep such a list of stores up to date.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I agree an interactive map would be cool and even better than a wiki text version. I am just guessing that Aldie is not likely to have time/inclination to program such an application any time soon, and so a wiki text version could be a good interim solution. (And provide a handy central up-to-date source from which to take the data if/when the map application gets created.)

It could also be a good simple way to test whether there is enough interest among BGG users to actually enter such data for their region and to keep such a list of stores up to date.


I think a browseable map would raise more interest than a text file, so the test would not be valid

A spin off could be a browseable map populated with bgg users
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the meantime, you might want to check out this geeklist.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to issue a request to the developing staff of bgg, or is this post enough?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Sherrod
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you want something along the lines of gasbuddy.com

Beyond my expertise....but would be cool. May as well include gaming clubs or meet-mes while you're at it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thankfully google has provided a very easy way to do this. I might be inclined to write something a bit more specific to just boardgames shops(using the gmap api), but really there is no need.

here is my personal map. You should see a marker over in New Hampshire.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=1044751952...

here is some info about how to use my maps:
http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=68480#pu...

edit(here is some additional info about using "my maps"):
after clicking the link to my map you should see a link
"save to my maps" in the left panel. click it.

Now adding a new location is easy. First search for it in the search
box at the top of the page.

Once you located the store on the map(via its red tear drop) click it. There should be a link "Save To My Maps"(click it!!!). Choose FLGS Game Store from the pull down and you have just added new content to the map.

Make sure to save what you have just done. In the left panel there should be a save button.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.