Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
After several plays in this format and some feedback of other players here's a variant for 2 players. More feedback is always good.

Here are the changes to the original rules:

#1 Starting Money - 2500
#2 Starting R&D Cubes - 6
#3 Distributors Boxes: 3 boxes closed in the mass prod. cars - one in each turn.
2 places closed in the middle class cars - one in each of the two first boxes
1 place closed in the high class cars - first box

#4 Each player has 4 actions

#5 The board is the same.

#6 Each obsolete factory takes one extra loss cube. So, the first factory of a type doesn't get any but the second factory gets 2.

#7 Remove one white and one grey token from the executive decision's box.

Everything else is normal.

Once again, feedback is very welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often only get to play 2P games, so I'm keen to try this variant. Thank you for sharing this.

Regarding the distributor boxes, which ones exactly should I close? Is my understanding below correct?

Low price models: Close one 1-4 box, one 2-4 box and one 3-4 box.
Mid price models: Close one 1-4 box, one 2-4 box
High price models: Close one 1-4 box.

Also, for the Executive Decisions, does it mean I remove the black closed factory token, and one of the white bonus sales markers under of 1 R&D cube cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
hecose wrote:

Low price models: Close one 1-4 box, one 2-4 box and one 3-4 box.
Mid price models: Close one 1-4 box, one 2-4 box
High price models: Close one 1-4 box.

Perfect!

hecose wrote:

Also, for the Executive Decisions, does it mean I remove the black closed factory token, and one of the white bonus sales markers under of 1 R&D cube cost?

You don't remove the close factory piece, you just remove one white token (one costing 1 R&D cube) and one black token thus maintaining 2 black tokens plus one black token.

PS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soledade wrote:
hecose wrote:

You don't remove the close factory piece, you just remove one white token (one costing 1 R&D cube) and one black token thus maintaining 2 black tokens plus one black token.

PS

And by black he means gray (i.e., the reduced price markers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
snoozefest wrote:
Soledade wrote:
hecose wrote:

PS

And by black he means gray (i.e., the reduced price markers)

You're right. GREY!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Soledade wrote:
snoozefest wrote:
And by black he means gray

You're right. GREY!!!

And by grey he means gray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Soledade wrote:
snoozefest wrote:
And by black he means gray

You're right. GREY!!!

And by grey he means gray.

Here we go again... you are soooo gonna get bashed by the Brits and the Aussies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the clarifications. I look forward to try this variant soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Yes, Grey

Glad that Paulo has shared this 2 player variant. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried this 2 player variant twice now, and enjoyed it. This variant is pretty straight-forward and there aren't many additional rules to remember. 2P is not as good as with more players. The game is probably best with 4 or 5. But since I often only have 2 players, this is an OK way to play. Thank you again Paulo for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this variant with my son. It wasn't too tense but we both still enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the variant - we tried it tonight, and it worked well. As others have mentioned, there was a lack of tension. For instance, while we always had good uses for the 4th action, it made decisions much less difficult. And by the last turn, we had all our distributors on the board, without having to worry that they wouldn't all be able to sell. I had a few ideas for ways to make the game more difficult, in particular:

- use 3 actions instead of 4

- close off more distributor boxes (perhaps so there would never be enough space for both players to have all 8 out at the same time).

- make factory losses dependent on how many spaces get skipped over in a particular car type, rather than just 1st and 2nd (for instance, if there are 2 empty mid-level car boxes empty, 1st factory in mid-level would take none, 2nd would take 4). Since normally those spots would be filled with other players, why not count them toward obsolescence anyway?

Not suggesting all three of these would be necessary, maybe only one or two. Just wondering if others have played with any of these suggestions... we'll try them, one at a time probably, in future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has any further refining been done on 2 player rules? Will be getting my copy soon and can't wait to play it. As I only play 2 player games, it is vital that the 2 player rules be "completed" before then! Great work, you guys..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Martin Wallace games are great. 2 player Brass is a favorite of mine. My hope is to have automobile equally enjoyable as a 2 player game as well. So what is the final ruling for this variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with this variant a few times and I don't think it needs to be further refined. This is a fan created variant, so there won't be any formal final ruling. The variant is fine if you are desperate to play Automobile but only have 2 players. I would recommend playing Automobile only if you have 4 or 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not "fine" if you later go on to qualify that Automobile is best played with 4 or 5.. What makes this variant inferior to the 4 or 5 player version? These are the things we need to fix, man!

Ok, seriously, if this 2 player variant is not a preferred way to play, it means its not good enough and can be further refined..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me rephrase. I don't think the 2P variant can be further improved to be anywhere close to as good as when playing with 4P or 5P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played a 3 player game. I would love to play a 4 or 5 player game. Realisticly though, I play with my wife alot. It would be nice to get automobile out once in a while to play when we do not have enough people. I can imagine the tension is gone but that is why I thought the rules could be tweaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hecose wrote:
Let me rephrase. I don't think the 2P variant can be further improved to be anywhere close to as good as when playing with 4P or 5P.

Thanks for your clarification! Could you give me some pointers as to which areas of the 2P game are inferior in your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the interesting decisions in the game is which of the 3 car classes you want to compete in - high end, mid range or low end. In a 2P game, this decision is gone. You more or less have to compete in all three.

With more players, the penalty for obsolete car models is more severe. There can be many more players having factories before your factory.

More players also mean less choice of characters (i.e more tension), more people going before you when placing distributors and selling cars. More players make the game more challenging. Also there is more uncertainty in the tile draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, got my copy. I will try these rules and let everyone know what I think. If I can offer any feedback I will do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 thing I am going to try in my next 2 player game is in regards to the characters. It seems too easy in the 2 player game to get the person you want. There is no real fight here.

The modification I want to try is that you don't return your current character, until both players have selected their new ones. This will add a 1 turn timer on each character.

So, if you pick Ford in the first turn, then he won't be returned until each player has selected their 2nd round pick (from the 3 remaining). Then you can select Ford again in the 3rd round.

I'll let you know in a week or 2 if this helps raise the tension.

(oh, I also want to remove an extra 2-4 box from the luxury cars, just to keep the game tighter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a couple of 2 player games now. I think it's a great way to get the game on the table if your needing an automobile fix. It was enjoyable, the only thing that I find lacking is the salesman. I know we block a box for each round in mass production, two in middleclass, and one in premium. It still seems that both players manage to not have to much tension getting their salemans out. Otherwise, very good variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:

I'll let you know in a week or 2 if this helps raise the tension.

(oh, I also want to remove an extra 2-4 box from the luxury cars, just to keep the game tighter)

So did you ever give this a try Curt? If so, how did it work out?

cayluster wrote:
I had a few ideas for ways to make the game more difficult, in particular:

- use 3 actions instead of 4

- close off more distributor boxes (perhaps so there would never be enough space for both players to have all 8 out at the same time).

- make factory losses dependent on how many spaces get skipped over in a particular car type, rather than just 1st and 2nd ... we'll try them, one at a time probably, in future games.

And what about you Alan? (or anyone else that has tried these tweaks out for that matter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.