Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think you could play a 3 or 4 player game with the rules for 5 or 6 player games. It will make deck construction a little different, but I don't think it will break the game. I haven't tried it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I like that idea - having 12 VP cards of each type means a further 50% of Provinces to get through to end the game that way. As such, I expect the game would end with 3 piles being depleted most of the time & all those extra VP cards seems like it would eventually slow down both players' decks the longer the game went on.

Besides, Dominion is a fairly quick game so why not just play with 8 & then play another game, rather than prolonging each individual game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I completely ignore that rule, I keep all the 12 cards in a 2 players game, it's only a waste of time removing cards and putting them back every game, if you alternate 2-players and 3/4-players games, frequently, like we do.
The game runs smoothly in this way as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
RolloTommasi wrote:
I completely ignore that rule, I keep all the 12 cards in a 2 players game, it's only a waste of time removing cards and putting them back every game, if you alternate 2-players and 3/4-players games, frequently, like we do.
It's a time waster to count out 4 cards (in three piles) and remove them, but it isn't a time waster to play a longer game out to 12 instead of 8 provinces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Exactly, time spent in removing/putting cards, it's time you dont play!
Every second used to play Dominion it's a good second.
Well... for me at least..
(Furthermore, I'm lazy enough to count up to 4... three times!! aww)

spearjr wrote:
RolloTommasi wrote:
It's a time waster to count out 4 cards (in three piles) and remove them, but it isn't a time waster to play a longer game out to 12 instead of 8 provinces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have accidentally kept all 12 there, and the game worked fine. We actually still ended the game by buying all the provinces, but we were using the "big money" set up (this was one of her earlier games, when she was still learning the cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with all the Victory Cards in a 2-player game this weekend and didn't notice a darn thing.

Then again, I'm an Ameritrash gamer and don't mind games longer than 15 minutes. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
2,3 or 4 we pretty much just use the whole stack. We've never found it a problem and the game usually ends via provinces and sometimes with 3-piles with all numbers of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tej S
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first played, I forgot to look up the rules for the 2-player variation, so it was just a longer game. It will probably be a bit different if someone is expecting there to only be 8, and doesn't bother to check the pile.

Curses, however, will make a difference if you leave them all in for a 2-player game with the witch, as I also found out when I first started playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we found (playing this out about 15 times across a group of us) was that this lead often to a bit more of runaway leader syndrome. There were exceptions (chapel decks being optimized for acquiring 4, and having a hard time getting the 5th or 6th, etc). However, as it's not normally more than 3 or 4 more turns per player w/ the extra 4 provinces, it wasn't a big deal either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like people are playing with all the estates. This makes this stack very large in 2P (18). This will mess with the balance for games where there are gardens (and possibly Baron and swinder and other intrigue cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a very new player of Dominion, I wonder why the game doesn't beome one of buying up gold, and then buying up provinces as fast as possible. Is this not a workable strategy that would result in the game ending quickly?
Again, new to the game, so there is no need for insults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:
As a very new player of Dominion, I wonder why the game doesn't beome one of buying up gold, and then buying up provinces as fast as possible. Is this not a workable strategy that would result in the game ending quickly?

If you do nothing but buy money, you will have some mix of 0,1,2 and 3 value cards in your hand, but only 5 cards at a time, so you will not always get 8 value. Buying the right action cards (such as the Smithy as an easy example) increases the number of cards available to you in a turn, thus possibly increasing your buying power.

So yes, doing nothing but buying money will eventually end the game: however, people who buy action cards intelligently will be able to buy victory cards at a faster rate than you will and will win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:
New or not, I'd hope we see little in the way of insults on BGG.

As one poster already noted, the right mix of buying action cards will result in a deck that can buy victory cards faster than the deck just buying gold.

However, if the other players are new and prone to the "buy as many cool action cards as I can" syndrome, than a straight gold strategy can be a winning one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.