Subject: Racing Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Seeing Moto Grand Prix as the Tanga deal today made me realize that I don't own a racing game, but I had tons of fun playing the original Forumla De in college back in the day.

So, to rectify this problem, I'm interested in picking up a fun light-weight racer. The three I have my eyes on are:

Forumla D
Moto Grand Prix
Ave Ceaser

Nevermind the themes (they all work for me), which is the better game? Again, a light game that has some decent decision making involved. I understand they're probably roll and move games, but surely one of these offers more than the others.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Jeff, they are "different" and it's actually more : what would you prefer?

Formula D: game dealing with the odds, will I go for the 5th gear and risk overshooting, or stick with the 4th gear (and thus : less spaces to move) - great game but a bit on the long side (with more players and more rounds)

Moto Grand Prix: even with all the rules, it falls flat: there's just not much fun unfortunately playing this. But hey, try to play it somewhere

Ave Caesar: the race game I consider being more of a European game. Especially the previous edition where the values on the cards were less forgiving > this would be my preference for the recommendation...

cheers,
/dimi

PS: Pitstop is also great I think or Das Motorsportspiel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BullBear wrote:
I'm interested in picking up a fun light-weight racer.
You might also consider:

Snow Tails
Winner's Circle
Jamaica

Games I don't own yet but are high on my radar:

Long Shot
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Powerboats.

Thumbs up for Formula D/De (a long time favorite) and Snow Tails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmb
There are some good comments that you may find helful here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/403024
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/367464

Have fun and happy racing...
...Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BullBear wrote:
Seeing Moto Grand Prix as the Tanga deal today made me realize that I don't own a racing game, but I had tons of fun playing the original Forumla De in college back in the day.

So, to rectify this problem, I'm interested in picking up a fun light-weight racer. The three I have my eyes on are:

Forumla D
Moto Grand Prix
Ave Ceaser

Nevermind the themes (they all work for me), which is the better game? Again, a light game that has some decent decision making involved. I understand they're probably roll and move games, but surely one of these offers more than the others.

Thanks!

Don't let the funky cartoons sway you against this one....the best racing game I've played is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Ave Caesar is not strictly "roll and move" as you have a deck of 24 cards (4 each of 1-6) and a hand of 3 to choose from. That said, your choices are usually restricted by those other chariots that keep getting in your way!
My favourite race game.
If you can find the older version, that's better as the track is less forgiving. You don't want it to be too easy, do you? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe R

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
I never thought of Formula De as heavy, though it depends on how many cars you have as to how much down time there is. But then I suspect that is true of most or even all racing games.

Two alternates to consider.

Formula Motor Racing. Not your typical racing game as it focuses on passing versus track position but can be fun with 3 to 4. A racing game the family can get into even if they don't like racing games.

Mississippi Queen. Again, not your typical racing game, but it is a race. Steamboats up the river. Nothing heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to mention that formula D can be a very long game. The second time we played we were 6 players, several of which were new to the game, and one lap took around two hours! Often you play two or three laps... This should improve a lot with experience, but if the players are the thinking type, this game can slow down to a crawl. It was a lot of fun though, I want to be clear on that.

There was this variant mentioned somewhere, in which you have to move your car as soon as you have rolled. No time for thinking. This variant could be a lot of fun just as long as everyone are fine with making a bad move because of stress now and then. Should speed up the game a lot!

The most interesting race game now IMM is Snow Tails. Well worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Snow Tails...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to the discussion, I always look at games with an eye to number of players since some play better than others depending on how many people are available:

Ave Ceasar - Quick, straight forward (only 3 movement cards to choose from) and more of a block the other guy and make him run out of cards at the end game. More importantly - plays best with 5-6 players.

Formula De - Strategic, more prone to analysis paralisis, and much longer. Plays with 2-10 players (more players = more time) and best with 5.

Moto Grand Prix - don't know.

Other racing games to consider -

Um Reifenbreite - best with 4 - already mentioned

Daytona 500 - best with 3 - my personal favorite due to the bidding and unique movement by all players via cards

TurfMaster - outstanding (but expensive), strategic and plays best with 7-8 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
otha62 wrote:
Another vote for Snow Tails...

The thing I like about snow tails, is that with most of your racing games, you'll hear this phrase:

"It's great with 4-8 people. The more the merrier. I wouldn't play it with two."

Where, snow tails could almost be played solitaire, and still be a good game. ...and I think that's unique among racing games.

Other than that, Formula D seats 8, which is nice. Powerboats has a lot of choice in strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not forget bang for Your buck. Reifenbreite might be the cheapest AND the best of the bunch. For starters it has several versions that You can play, so You can have it lighter or heavier depending on Your game group. Several games rolled in one.. And then at least here its in the 10-15 euro range often new and 1 euro used. I got mine for 1,50. I overpaid probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindke
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Formula Motor Racing. While Formula D(e) simulates the "feel" of an individual race and is a wonderful game -- I play it at least two weekends a year during Formula 1 season -- Formula Motor Racing simulates the feel of the "results" of a Formula 1 race. I play Formula Motor Racing almost every weekend throughout the Formula 1 season. It plays quickly and is very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schmidt
United States
Saint Marys
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'll throw a vote out for Detroit-Cleveland Gran Prix (previously Daytona 500). As mentioned in an earlier post, randomly dealt hand of cards and a narrow track make a great game for kids and adults...lots of screwage. Game takes maybe an hour and one-half.

Forumla De: personal favorite, but it is roll-and-move. Advantage goes to the pole position (like most race games) but gutsy moves and good (or bad) dice rolls give time to recover. Several hours with many players.

Speed Circuit: predictable and boring with supreme advantage given to pole position.

Winner's Circle: quick game with strategic choices of applying the die result.

Ave Ceasar: similar to Detroit-Cleveland but pretty unforgiving. It's okay.

Circus Maximus: what's not to like about heavy chariots ramming other carts and grinding down the opponent's horses? Just remember...make sure you whip 'em real fast in the corner.

Win, Place, and Show: good game with a lot of people. Luck factor present but it best conveys the feeling of being at the track.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.