Subject: Combat Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Valenty
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Recently got into Arkham Horror. Liking it so far.

Statements, true/false, on Combat:

Combat ,with few exceptions, occurs in the movement phase.

Combat may occur in an encounter if an encounter card conjures a monster. This monsters combat is resolved immediately in either the Arkham encounter phase or the Other-world phase, whichever encounter phase it spawned from. If the monster is killed, evaded, or fled from, it is returned to the monster cup.

Combat does not occur during the Mythos phase. Any monsters moved onto a player space is resolved in combat during the next movement phase.

When multiple monsters are on the same space with more than one player the players resolve combat in the order of their turns. Monsters are not evenly split between the players. If the first player is able to kill all of the monsters on the space, the other players may move freely. If the first player kills half of the monsters on the space, the next player must resolve combat with the remaining monsters.

When a player exits a gate with a monster guarding it during the movement phase, they do not have to resolve combat. If they fail to close the gate this turn, they must resolve combat with the monster during the next movement phase. If they close the gate, and the monster symbol does not match the symbol on the gate, they must resolve combat with the monster on the next movement phase. If the symbol does match, the monster is returned to the monster cup.

Are these statements correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaotic Yeti wrote:
Recently got into Arkham Horror. Liking it so far.

Statements, true/false, on Combat:

Combat ,with few exceptions, occurs in the movement phase.

True

Quote:

Combat may occur in an encounter if an encounter card conjures a monster. This monsters combat is resolved immediately in either the Arkham encounter phase or the Other-world phase, whichever encounter phase it spawned from. If the monster is killed, evaded, or fled from, it is returned to the monster cup.

True

Quote:

Combat does not occur during the Mythos phase. Any monsters moved onto a player space is resolved in combat during the next movement phase.

True

Quote:

When multiple monsters are on the same space with more than one player the players resolve combat in the order of their turns. Monsters are not evenly split between the players. If the first player is able to kill all of the monsters on the space, the other players may move freely. If the first player kills half of the monsters on the space, the next player must resolve combat with the remaining monsters.

True

Quote:

When a player exits a gate with a monster guarding it during the movement phase, they do not have to resolve combat. If they fail to close the gate this turn, they must resolve combat with the monster during the next movement phase. If they close the gate, and the monster symbol does not match the symbol on the gate, they must resolve combat with the monster on the next movement phase. If the symbol does match, the monster is returned to the monster cup.

True

Quote:
Are these statements correct?

Yes laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Eckels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
1.) True - under most situations (i.e. unless an encounter specifically says otherwise), you only enter combat if you are ending your movement in the same space as a monster (note, you have to evade to leave a space containing a monster).

2.) True, unless a gate also appears. In that case, you are sucked through and then the monster appears (I'm only about 90% sure on this one)

3.) True

4.) True - each player's movement phase happens distinctly, so encountering the monsters happens distinctly.

5.) True. There are some cases that happen where the monster gets dealt with in the meantime (i.e. someone who can handle it comes in and kills it before you have to fight it, although this only makes sense if that player has a gate box or there's another gate to that location).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
Chaotic Yeti wrote:

True

Partially true. If you defeat the monster, you may keep it as a trophy (unless it has Endless). If it defeats you, or you evade it, then it is returned to the monster cup. In either case, it does not affect any limits.

Also, if a gate appears along with the monster (in Arkham), then you are sucked through the gate and the monster remains in Arkham for your friends to deal with (or you when you return). In this case, it would affect the limits and might potentially be sent to the Outskirts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Valenty
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I missed that in my description. I understand when it gets kept as a trophy and when It gets returned to the monster cup. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of only one exception for the last example...if you return to Arkham other than by moving your character piece during the Movement Phase (which would obviate the need to deal with a monster on the gate), such as myriad Other World cards, which upon a successful roll will allow you to move to Arkham automatically, I believe that you must deal with the monsters at the beginning of the next series of phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
I can think of only one exception for the last example...if you return to Arkham other than by moving your character piece during the Movement Phase (which would obviate the need to deal with a monster on the gate), such as myriad Other World cards, which upon a successful roll will allow you to move to Arkham automatically, I believe that you must deal with the monsters at the beginning of the next series of phases.

Since the last example specified "exit a gate in the movement phase", doesn't really count, does it ? "Next series of phases"? You mean after OW encounters, the next phase being Mythos? If you get an early return, you need to deal with any monsters during the movement phase of the following turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik W
United States
flag msg tools
Chaotic Yeti wrote:
If they close the gate, and the monster symbol does not match the symbol on the gate, they must resolve combat with the monster on the next movement phase. If the symbol does match, the monster is returned to the monster cup.

I keep forgetting to withdraw all monsters of the same symbol. For some reason I think this is helping us. Because not too often is fighting a monster a setback for my group but having the tokens on hand is nifty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.