Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is in response to a posting on CSW about allowing the ANZ Cav Corps to ignore the desert corps restrictions for movement but making it an optional rule that's recommended for tournament play.

Ugh!

That's the most wish-washy resolution possible . If it's good enough for tournament play it's good enough to be part of the standard game.

In my experience getting new opponents (online opponents you don't personally know etc.) to use optional rules is difficult. Optional Rules are synonymous with "balance altering," "inadequately playtested" and "pile on the chrome."

A rule that makes the game better, more balanced and/or more fun should be part of the regular game, the game I'd guess 95%+ of the people play.

I think PuG is currently balanced enough but the AP has a real problem getting past the Gaza/Beersheba bottleneck. Short of bleeding the Turks to the point they can't replace the casualties there, it's essentially a brick wall. Since this unit was instrumental in breaking through here it would seem fitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lupi
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I firmly agree with your desire to use and feelings on optional rules.

And I really love the current front page comic; I'd even frame it to hang in the gaming room if I had a good enough copy of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IQTom wrote:
If it's good enough for tournament play it's good enough to be part of the standard game.

I agree whole-heartedly. I don't quite get the logic behind "suggested for tournament, but optional... "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, some feel that if it wasn't in the original testing, don't change it unless absolutely necessary, which this isn't. That said, I like the new rule. I am not yet convinced it has been tested enough to make official, although in principle I would like to do that. If you guys want to try it out and post some feedback, I am all for it.

Hopefully, after WBC there will be more concrete feedback -- which is sort of what I was hinting at re requiring it for tournaments (which I can't really require, you know)....

Then maybe it will be official, as the Living Rules update is now finally underway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.