Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm currently looking for a job since I was part of a lay-off last Tuesday, but I'm trusting in God and I know He will take care of us...

In the meantime, I'm working on a graphics project for a good friend of mine and I need some advice about some software...

At the job I just had, I worked on a Mac using Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark Express 6.5 (my employer wouldn't make the switch to Indesign)...

On my home pc I have Photoshop and Illustrator even though they are not the newest versions, I think they'll get me by....but I need some advice about a layout program like Quark Express that is hopefully open source...obviously I cannot lay out a bunch of cash right now for software so I'm hoping someone can recommend something that will help me out. I'm running Windows XP home edition and unfortunately don't have the fastest computer on earth, but it's no snail either. It's a 3.20 ghz Celeron, and I have about 1.35 gigs of RAM. Like I said, not the best but it beats the Commodore 64 I had many moons ago...

Anyway, IS there a good open source program out there that will do what Quark Express does...especially import graphics (eps, jpg, etc) and I really need to be able to export the file to a pdf... Is this too tall an order?

BTW, I want to thank all those who responded to my request for prayer last week, it is very encouraging to see the support from you fellow board gamers... God bless you all!

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, unfortunately, don't know of an open source editorial software.

I have in the past used Illustrator to do layouts when I had no other options. It requires a little more doing but it does the job, especially for shorter brochures etc. The way I do it is to create a custom page size and then use print page tiling to essentially create a multiple page document. You can then save it through Adobe distiller as a pdf file. I did this a long time ago with quite an ancient version of Illustrator but I'm guessing it would still work.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.