Pyramid of Pengqueen» Forums » Variants

Subject: the mummy has no chance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Johannes
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

i have played this games over 20 times and the mummy player only won 2 games.
I really like this game, but it's frustrating for the mummy player, when he knows from the beginning on that he will most likely lose in the end.
Have you made the same observations?
How can you fix this? Do you have some great houserules for this game?

Greetings
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found the reverse to be true actually...in all but one of the games we've played the Mummy has won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you could play the mummy without the white disc on the explorer side meaning the explorers have no idea where the mummy is until someone is caught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could also mean that the explorers are being really kind to each other instead of setting a fellow explorer up to be taken by the mummy [by taking the mummy dice and giving the mummy an extra turn when the mummy is close enough to take another explorer]. You do have to be careful with this type of play that you don't do it too often and just hand the mummy the game. My one and only game of this, the explorers did just that and I won relatively easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
you could play the mummy without the white disc on the explorer side meaning the explorers have no idea where the mummy is until someone is caught.

This would sound like a "ghost" variant then. Fluch der Ghost. I would try this when I get my game, especially if in our games, we determine the mummy also has a hard time winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel-André Casasola Merkle
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mb
A lot of fun and tension for the explores actually comes from seeing the Mummy move.

I have heard both complaints: Mummy always wins, explores always win.
In fact this depents how much the explorers work together and if they are clever the game gets balanced by itself.

But if you experience one of these problems in your gaming group it is quite easy to fix:
just change the number of Ankhs the mummy has to collect to win the game.

Best
Marcel-André
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Otero
United States
Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple fix that my family came up with tonight to help balance the mummy's chances a bit more:
When an explorer is captured by the mummy that person must "return" one artifact at random... That artifact must be "found" again.
That way, a runaway leader can be pulled back a bit while also giving the mummy a bit more of a chance in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
With competent play, we've found the mummy to not really have a chance, but we have been playing "eyes closed." Key things:

1. Unless, a player has revealed his position, players should always reset the dice before the mummy moves. This way, the mummy never moves more than the # of dice rolled + mummy dice. With any other method, the mummy will move faster, and there is a greater chance players will get caught.

2. Players can pick and choose the locations they go to and can go to the artifact locations furthest from the mummy, and only venture close to the mummy to pick up their last artifact, ending the game.

3. The only dangerous time for the players is at the beginning when they are all coming from the start spot. The mummy knows generally where they are, and if someone gets a bad roll, or if a lot of mummies show up on the dice, someone will get caught.

4. In future games, we will let the mummy "watch" the players move to divine some clues on their whereabouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
played the 2-player version tonight. Seemed awfuly tough to win as the mummy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the camp of this being pretty hard for the mummy to LOSE. We've already had to up the ankh count. You might think it's the players who are causing this, but I'm not so sure. I think simply having a clever adult controlling the mummy makes all of the difference in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I'm in the camp of this being pretty hard for the mummy to LOSE. We've already had to up the ankh count. You might think it's the players who are causing this, but I'm not so sure. I think simply having a clever adult controlling the mummy makes all of the difference in the world.

I think your archaeologists are taking too many risks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, we have only played this 3 times but the mummy has won every time.

We've found that the Mummy can guess approximate locations based on eye movement and arm movement of explorers as well as listening to sound of moving pieces. Do others have the mummy close his/her eyes while the explorers are moving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
MN Gopher wrote:
Do others have the mummy close his/her eyes while the explorers are moving?

Yep. Makes it really hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the mummy is losing too often in your games, here are two variants:

1) Players cannot walk over other player pawns.

This makes it much easier for explorers to double cross each other.

2) When the mummy gets an interrupt turn, he get to roll his mummy die but doesn't add the number of locked die. Or to make the mummy even faster you could allow him to add the number of locked dice to the inturupt turn roll.

This makes the mummy much more mobile and it also encourages players to hold off on resetting dice. This in turn builds more tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.