badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Previous session are here :
Session 1 : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/411731
Session 2 : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/413227
Session 3 : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/421223

Quote:

The story so far ...
Once upon a time, a very gentle Spider Queen was very sad to see that humanity doesn't like spiders and more generally nonhuman being (and even sometimes other human being.
Suffering in her heart, she choosed to try to make every being in the universe live in a perfect harmony. For that she decided to becomes a God ... of course becoming a godlike being would require many thousand of sacrifices of innocent people, but it was a sacrifice she was ready to make.
Unfortunately, a group of scums, living on the massacre of innocent dragons and other peaceful creatures learned about her plans and by pure spite and malice decided to thwart her so Terrinoth would stay a land of hatred and chaos ...
Will the Spider Queen will prevail against the evil horde of Tamalir ?

Here is the group of evil doers :

Landrec the Wise (26/66)
12 / 5 / 1 / 3 (8 wounds)
Magic : 3 black
Talent :
* Blessing
* Prodigy
Equipement :
* Fire Cone
* Leather Armor
Unequiped :
* Sun
* Petrification

Ispher (26/66)
12 / 5 / 1 / 6
Melee : 1 black
Ranged : 2 black
Talent :
* Tiger Tatoo
* Boggs the Rat
Equipement :
* Magic Bow
* Elven Robe
* Amulet of Archery
* Stamina Potion
Unequiped :
* Iron Shield
* Leather Armor

Astarra, Witch Runes (26/66)
12 / 5 / 2 / 5
Magic : 1 silver, 2 black
Talent : Inner Fire
Equipement :
* Chastise Staff
* Heavy Leather Armor
Unequiped : Crystalization

Lord Hawthorne (6/66)
16 / 4 / 3 / 4
Melee : 3 black
Talent : Mighty
Equipement :
* Dragonteeth Hammer
* Chainmail
Unequiped : Axe

Group Enhancement :
* Magic Boat
* Bazaar

And the good Spider Queen :

Ascension Plot (2 cards)

Upgrade :
* Siege Engine
* 1 Trap Threat
* Silver Eldrich

Lieutnent : Sir Alric Farrow (On the Whispering Forest)

Last time, the players ransacked the Cavern of Thull. Victorious and Rich, they headed back to Nerekhall, but ...

Week 11: Run away !!!!!

Time for new Lieutnant, Merick Farrow joined me and began his journey north while Alric went South.
Heroes were happy, at this level, Merick seems very weak. (What I didn't tell them is that since there is one dungeon along the way to Frostgate, I was hoping that we would pass on silver level. Copper Merick isn't a threat, but fight Silver Merick with Gold Eldricht at the beginning of Silver phase would be a nightmare ... for them.)

New encounter ... A very playful Dark Priest wanted to entertain himself by playing with the Heroes.
He was invulnerable to magic attack (Don't expect to do much, Landrec and Astarra) and sorcery (Meaning that Ispher will deals even less damage than usual) and this little guy can regenerate very fast.
So ... only Hawthorne wasn't penalised ... to compensate that let's say that encounter happens in a place were melee attacks deals 2 less damage ...
Courageously, the Heroes fled, Hawthorne serving as a shield to protect the others.

At Nerekhall, it was time to heal, shop and drink.
Market was very king for the Heroes, giving Astarra the dreaded Mortuary Staff ... my poor immortals will have reaaaaaaaly hard time ...
They took a new rumor 'Derafin the powerful, and set it at Black Wing Swamp, south of Tamalir.

Week 12: Thwarted !

Preparing myself for the next dungeon, I bought 'Concentration' to remove useless cards from my deck.
At that moment, an interesting rules problems appears :
Quote:

Ozyree : What did you remove ?
Hamakeis : None of your business.
O : Really ? You are sure that players cannot know ?
H : ... Errr ... Yes ... I'm sure ... why not.
O : Did you check on the net ?
H : N... I mean YES. By the way, since you seems to like question: You are still single ? How does it feel to know that no woman wants you ?
O : O....K... I trust you. You checked. No more question.
H : Let's just say about the cards I remove that It's very unlikely you will meet Kobold during this campaign.

Nowhere it is told that the Heroes should know ... and nowhere it is told they should not know.
Since the Overlord deck is private, Heroes don't know which card I add with treachery for example, I didn't tell them but I gave them my word that I won't play Kobolds anymore. (Of course, destiny decided to make me lie on the very next turn ...)

Merick began asseging Frostgate, waiting for the Heroes.
Alric continued his journey towards Tamalir (I don't want to raze it ... yet. Only pass near it to attack south cities. But if I can make my players heading back to Tamalir and prevent them to use the secret training before silver level, I will.)

Heroes headed to Greyheaven ... and thwarted me.
Going to the market, they suddenly remember that they can buy basic items too. No treasure were interesting, so they bought the Ring of Invulnerability and the Staff of Nature, allowing them to move two times faster and so attack Merick without doing the dungeon !
Argh, thwarted by a random moment of lucidity !

Week 13: Run away !!!!! (Yes, again)

Alric arrived at the Temple of Fire while Merick fled towards the Spider's lair.

Unable to fight my lieutnent, Heroes choosed to travel as fast as they can to do the secret training before another dungeon.
So they headed to Frosgate but they were ambused by ... Kobolds ! (You know the monsters I just told my players that I wont play them...)
The encounter happened in a place where walking near water cost 2 movements ... It's was a massacre, Heroes happily one-shooting the poor kobolds without suffering a single damage and then after the last one died ...

Quote:

Hamakeis : Ooops ...
Players : What ?
H : Sorry, I cheated.
P : What ?
H : Yeah ... I ... I used silver Kobolds instead of copper ones ... You ... You should have had a more easy battle ...
P : What ? A more ea... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !
H : Gnagnagna ... So ... you're all single. What does it feel to know th ...
P : Already done, loser ! Ah Ah ! Your monsters are so pathetic ... Ah ah ... Good comic relief !

At Frostgate, Ispher bought the 'Swift' Capacity ... Wee ... Eight movement points. That's gonna hurt.

Week 14: Training session

Merick is carefully hidden in the Spider's lair, while Alric is only one week left from Tamalir. To prevent him destroying the city, Heroes decided to make the dungeon near Frostgate on the next turn, so if they flee, they will be next to Alric. If they don't flee, they will take the 'touristic way' to get to Tamalir, passing to Greyhaven to buy 5 potions.

At Shika's Tree, the competence were really interesting. So Landrec learned the dreaded Spiritwalker, Hawthorne took Knight and Astarra, Able Warrior.
And Ispher, with only not enough experience left get nothing.

Week 15: Aiming ? What does that tastes ?

Knowing that Heroes will do the dungeon, I bought 'In my cabinet', just to be sure I'll have some traps at the beginning.

Merick stay on the spider's lair, ready to head back to Frostgate when the Heroes will be away.
Alric arrives to Tamalir.

Heroes enters the Northgate Dungeon.

Northgate Dungeon

Level 1 : The Graveyard (7)

I choose to take two Dark Charm (the base one, and a second from my treachery) in my cabinet.
I choose to spread the skeletons to avoid the burning power of Landrec ...

Retrospectively, two very stupid choice.

Indded, a few crushing blocks or pit would have prevented Hawthorne and Astara to kill my skeltons.
I choose Dark Charm, in the hope that Landrec would manage a multiple kill, but I forget that now he will just stand in the back, attacking from others.
When the boss died, the only remaining skeleton was 6 spaces away ... I guess I spread them a little too much ...

Level 2 : The Gauntlet (6)

Mmmm ... a level for the Spider Queen, traps costing 4 less to be played !
Seeing the runed doors, they choose not to move to fast and take some ready orders to kill the monsters as soon as the boss opened one door.
Unfortunately, Hawthorne and Ispher were in a good position for Landrec to hurt them with a 4-cost Dark Charm.
Then a spawned razorwing sacrificed itself to force Astara to attack.
The Boss opened the middle door, and sorcerer had fun killing Astara (Who, now she's worth 3xp began to think that the Armor ring maybe should be her.)

Of course with an open doors, everything could have been finished very quickly : Ispher activate the glyph and positioned himself so Landrec can kill all monsters from him, with Astarra killing the unlikely survivors.
Landrec made 2 attacks : X and X.
Astara came back from town and made 2 attacks.
1 - Attacking the boss, X !
2 - Attacking the boss, she killed it ! But I got a dodge card so ...
2 (bis) - Attacking the boss, ... X !

Four 'X' in five attacks ... excellent ! (Well, actually "Five 'X' in six attacks" since my first attack gave an 'X' too.)

Since Landrec doesn't move very fast and everyone else was near my monsters, the boss closed the door !
Halas, my monsters did really crappy rolls meaning I was able only to kill Astarra (again !) and Ispher.

After this reality came back and the Heroes wiped my creatures ... while Landrec was forced to take the 'U' corridor to access the next level (It's one of the very few houserule we have : To access the next level, everyone has to go through the portal.)
So I had time to spawn some skeletons to delay him, since my deck is running low and kill Hawthorne.

After several lost turn, Heroes made their way to the last level.

Level 3 : The Pit Monster (23)

It was very late, so we decided to save here.
(Nonetheless it seems that dungeon will be a walk in the park for my Heroes. I hope I will be able to use effectively my last Dark Charm and recycle my deck, because I won't do much killing here.)

At the end of session :

Overlord : 25/90 xp
Heroes : 83 xp & 2425 gold
Campaign : 173 xp

Landrec the Wise (56/83)
12 / 5 / 1 / 3 (1 Wound, 3 Stamina)
Magic : 3 black
Talent :
* Blessing
* Prodigy
* Spiritwalker
Equipement :
* Fire Cone
* Leather Armor
* 1 Power Potion
* 1 Stamina Potion
Unequiped : Sun

Ispher (56/83) 2 Wounds
12 / 5 / 0 / 8
Melee : 1 black
Ranged : 2 black
Talent :
* Boggs the Rat
* Tiger Tatoo
* Swift
Equipement :
* Falcon Claw
* Crystal Shield
* Elven Robe
* Amulet of Archery
* 1 Stamina Potion
Unequiped :
* Iron Shield
* Magic Bow

Astarra, Witch Runes (46/83)
12 / 5 / 3 / 5 4 Wounds
Magic : 1 silver, 2 black
Talent :
* Able Warrior
* Inner Fire
Equipement :
* Mortuary Staff
* Heavy Leather Armor
* Ring of Protection
* 1 Power Potion
Unequiped : Crystalization

Lord Hawthorne (26/83)
16 / 4 / 3 / 4 2 Wounds
Melee : 3 black
Talent :
* Knight
* Mighty
Equipement :
* Dragonteeth Hammer
* Chainmail
* 1 Power Potion
* 1 Stamina Potion
Unequiped : Axe

Group Enhancement :
* Magic Boat
* Staff of the Wild
* Bazaar

Overlord
Ascension Plot (2 cards)

Upgrade :
* Concentration
* Siege Engine
* In my Cabinet
* 1 Trap Threat
* Silver Eldrich

Lieutnent :
* Sir Alric Farrow (On Tamalir No counter)
* Merick Farrow (On the Whispering Forest)

Dungeon in progress
Power : Evil Genius
Cards in hand : 7
Threats : 17
Cards in my Cabinet : Dark Charm

Miscealenous comments :

I played sooooooooooo badly during this session that I could just kick myself.
How could I though that one dungeon only was needed to get to Silver level. I should never have send Marick to Frostgate. In fact, by increasing their speed on the map, Heroes helped me.
Bad choice of cards to start the dungeon, bad placement ... fortunately, the epic failure of the Heroes in the second level of the dungeon save me from a terrible humilliation.
Slowly but surely, I began to suffer ... Ispher with his shield is now a ttank against magic and ranged attacks. That sucks, before he has the best ration 'Easiness to kill/xp'. Now I have to go on Astarra, but since her is able to deal fairly amount of damage, it's not the same.

All in all, it was a very cool session. Toramal began to assume that his Hero is dangerous because of his speed and play with it. His Eagle Claw preventing melee monsters to attacks and boss to move instead of killing.
And with less Toramal whinning, game sessions are more fun.

EDIT : Oh and one last thing.
The save systems for dungeon SUCKS, for example, with 2 Undead patrol in my deck, with their system, I can cycle my deck without having one (if they were at the bottom of the deck the first time, and put in the discard pile the second time) or by playing four of them ! (I drew them the first time, and they go again in my deck the second time.)
FF acted like morons on this !
It's not that complicated : Hand cards in the overlord box.
Take two envellops, write 'Deck' onto one and dicard onto the other. Put the deck and the dicard in it !
Two exta half-box would have been a perfect solution. Even less, just write 'stock your deck and your discard separatly (in envollops for example)' would have been perfect !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.