Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really game-related, but I'd like to thank Phil Eklund & Sierra Madre games for introducing me to the theory of the Bicameral mind! I've started doing some reading about it, and it's fascinating! I have a question though - how accessible is Julian Jayne's "Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" (such a catchy title...)? As an intellectual grazer, I have a decent understanding of the concepts, but is this likely to lose me in a morass of references, terminology, and assumed previous knowledge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an anthropologist, psychologist or student of the history of the evolution of thought... but I gave the book a serious attempt a couple years back. Sadly, I'm afraid I found it to be a morass of references, terminology, and assumed previous knowledge. Your milage, of course, may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Funny you bring that up ... I'm just in the middle of reading Jaynes's book. It definitely is not an easy read, but I can grasp it (more or less) even though I'm neither a neuroscientist nor an ancient Greek scholar. There are some difficult sections (namely the beginning, where Jaynes defines consciousness), but there are also very lucid sections (even poetic for a scientific book).
For me, it's not so much a morass of references or terminology, but a morass of thoughts never thought before, concerning religion, history, psychology and about everything else. Read it, it's both exhausting and mind-blowing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, did you get the book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did, yes. Slightly damaged spine, but cheap, from Amazon Used & New (used, of course). Still to make solid headway into it, but coping with the initial chapters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great to hear that you joined the ride.
Coping would be the right term for my reading, too. I make slow progress. Every other page I find myself pondering and wondering and wandering off in thoughts. But that is a plus in my (or Jaynes') book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guns germs and steel by jared diamond got me thinking a game like this would be great..

Phil delivered!
looking to find and play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.