Popular Tags: [View All]
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have experience in modifying plastic inserts? I want to cut some holes for extra wells in the tray of Mission: Red Planet, because it doesn't have space for all components as it is. But I wonder whether it is safe to cut that kind of plastic or it will crack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd use heat to cut the plastic, that will form a smoother edge to the cut and reduce the likelihood of later cracking.

Someday, in the far future, I want to put together a vaccuform table and make my own custom inserts for games. But that day is, as mentioned, a long time in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a good Instructable that I know of that you should take a look at.

Make Your Own Prototypes: Vacuum Forming
This shows you how to make a small and very easy vacuum former that you could use to make your own customized plastic inserts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! The vacuum former is interesting, but that's not what I'm looking into. It requires an object to be copied, and if the plastic tray could resist that stress, it would certainly be safe to cut it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.