4 Posts

Lord of the Rings» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Finishing the job! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past couple plays, Sauron has wiped the floor with me. So, I figured I'd try one more time, and finish the job I started, to destroy the ring one last time before the Sauron expansion arrives. So, Frodo and Sam suited up, with Sauron looking distant, yet menacing at 12. Given that Pippin and Merry weren't coming, it was necessary to make preparations. Thankfully, no harm came of lingering for the extra cards (rolled a blank, for once.) Hiding from the Nazgul with ease, we strolled into the house of Elrond, eagerly awaiting what gifts lie within.

Note: For most of this post, the normal text will give the events, and some flavor, while the text in parenthesis will give more precise details.

Although we formed the fellowship and took council with no difficulty, it seemed that we were missing someone... not to mention Aragorn and Gandalf couldn't seem to find their swords... (We missed Anduril, Glamdring, Athelas, and Legolas.) However, there was nothing to be done, but set off for Moria.

Well, it wasn't long before we were bid to Speak friend and enter, which we did. However, the watcher in the water caught us off guard, and though Frodo managed to hide, the creature struck sam, and he felt the eye stirring (Sam didn't have a hiding, and rolled an Eye.) A few short turns later, Sam knocked a stone in the well, and nearly panicked. However, with some help from Frodo, he found the missing Pipe, and we continued onwards. (Sam drew a travel, but didn't have 2 travelling symbols, so Frodo played miruvor and passed Aragorn to Sam so he could collect the pipe, and avoid being Trapped.) It was around this time that Frodo donned the ring, and advanced forward with some difficulty. (he rolled a discard 2 cards) However, we unwisely tarried in the mines, and were trapped! (We needed life tokens, so we paused for a turn as Frodo collected some, but guess what the next tile was.) As we had not travelled far, nor were we hidden, Sauron advanced, and we fled out of the mines. (Drew an event, then a fighting tile, which threw us out of the scenario.)

The damage in Moria hadn't been severe, but it hadn't been light either. Thankfully, our card-drained hobbits could recuperate in Lothlorien. After collecting some lovely gifts, we recovered our strength (both Frodo and Sam drew cards, as we were low on cards thanks to all that happened in Moria), and passed the test of Galadriel. So, we set off for Helm's deep, as Frodo passed the ring to Sam.

Continuing to Helm's deep, we unmasked Wormtongue, but the Riders of Rohan passed us by. The hobbits paused to enlist some aid, gathering Theoden, Shadowfax and Eomer, but unfortunately Boromir left and went down fighting. However, despite no eventful happenings, the ring was pulling at Sam and corrupting him further. (Helm's deep wasn't too bad in terms of events, but other tiles corrupted Sam somewhat. Donning the ring to continue before any events happened, he rolled discard 2 cards. Boromir was used to help finish the scenario.)

Sam continued bearing the ring, as the pair departed into Shelob's lair. Gollum soon appeared, but wasn't friendly at all, and departed without a word. (We had the shields to acquire him, but that would have left us dangerously low for the next event.) Facing the Faces of the dead, the hobbits persevered (Sam discarded a wild, Frodo 3 shields.) Enlisting Faramir's aid, he took them to the Forbidden pool. (Picked up Faramir, drew the next event, which Sam paid the shields for.) Stumbling onwards, Sam donned the ring yet again, and got one corruption, taking him dangerously close to Sauron. As they finished the scenario, Sam nearly fell, but thanks to Elessar and Gandalf's healing, they persevered. (Sam nearly died due to life token lack. Gandalf and Elessar were used to heal him. At this point both Frodo and Sam were 2 spaces from Sauron.) Sam then gave the ring back to Frodo in thanks as they went to Mordor.

However, thanks to all the friends they had enlisted, Mordor was quiet. Theoden, Shadowfax, Faramir, and the ring all helped them along the path and up Mount Doom. Narrowly avoiding death thanks to his Mithril armor, Frodo nearly fell in the cracks of doom, but was saved by the belt, and dropped the ring in! (An easy finish. The last turn was a forgone conclusion, as Frodo had both Mithril and the belt, and only 2 die rolls left. The only worry came from tiles, but although we got ringbearer corruption, not one event was drawn the whole scenario. In fact, the whole journey, we seemed to draw ringbearer corruption and Eye/2 corrupt nearly every scenario. In contrast, the die kept rolling discard 2 cards rather than corruption most the game. Instead of events, lack of cards, life tokens and the afore-mentioned tiles were the main obstacles this game. Final Score: 70)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:
Sam continued bearing the ring, as the pair departed into Shelob's lair. Gollum soon appeared, but wasn't friendly at all, and departed without a word. (We had the shields to acquire him, but that would have left us dangerously low for the next event.) Facing the Faces of the dead, the hobbits persevered (Sam discarded a wild, Frodo 3 shields.)

I tend to have "magical" draws regarding Gollum and Faces. Always, always seem to happen during the same tile draw blush . Seeing a Hobbit die on Faces isn't uncommon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, in my first game, one hobbit (Frodo) had all 7 shields and I played them all to get gollum... one tile draw later, the faces of the dead came up, and that hobbit had no wilds, or shields (or white hobbit cards...)shake I had to make Pippin play Miruvor and pass a wild to Frodo to keep him from dying. It panned out, but it gave me a shock. I won't make that mistake again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next up, 2 Hobbits, Sauron at 10, then expansion time !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.