Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
For example:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/118#forums

Click on "general" and on page 8 (of 9) currently, two threads dated 2004-07-14 by skeletodoc. Neither one has a title (subject) and hence can't visit those threads

Same problem if going directly to another list of the general threads:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/65/thing/118/page/2

I tried in both Opera and Firefox.

Maybe a BGG bug? Maybe BGG should display something like "(no subject)" to anchor the link on....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nauman
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way is to click on the last post date on the far right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look to the right you can see the date of the last post. You can click on that to go to that post, which will get you to the thread. In the first case you will have to find the threads in the list you get from clicking Browse in the list on the game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knauman wrote:
The easiest way is to click on the last post date on the far right.

thank you, don't remember the timestamps being hyperlinks but that does indeed let me get to the thread.

Still can't get a link to the thread itself (vs. an article) so probably should still be considered a bug but at least I can get to them

Direct link to one of the subject less threads (well 1st article)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/45189#45189

The "Subject" in the thread header has no hyperlink there (usually it does for those w/subjects)... does have a link to the RSS feed for the thread though so one can get the thread id from that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose as an admin I could edit in a title if you wanted me to on any particular thread if that would help. But the date idea is a more general solution to missing titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
I suppose as an admin I could edit in a title if you wanted me to on any particular thread if that would help.

Given that the post is in a gaming forum and provides useful information, and the missing subject is not just an attempt to "hide" it (as is done with geeklists, on occasion, for a lark), I think adding subjects to such posts would make them a whole lot more useful and easier for noobs to find. If JeffyJeff didn't know about the date-click trick, what are the chances a new user browsing for answers in that forum is going to know about it?

My 2-cents is to recommend adding subjects to such posts if you want to make the information useful and available to the maximum number of users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think it would be advantageous if the form didn't accept a null input for title. But, that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
Personally, I think it would be advantageous if the form didn't accept a null input for title. But, that's just me.

I don't think it does anymore... these are older (but still relevant) threads that were created when BGG allowed a null title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.