Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Arkham Horror. I eagerly awaited the Innsmouth Horror expansion. And then it arrived. And I saw the new Great Old Ones. And I thought, "you're kidding me?"

You see, my AH games are either 2-player or 3-player. These big box expansions seem geared towards larger groups, as there is just too much ground to cover for 2 or 3 investigators. So, between these impossible GOOs and the Deep One Rising track, I don't expect to win against this expansion. Pretty much ever.

But we had to try it anyway, so with much pessimism, my buddy Andrew and I sat down to have a go at a GOO.

First up: Nyogtha

The investigators: William Yorick (me). Minh Thi Phan (Andrew).

Well, Minh Thi is not a great character in a 2-player game. Her "plays well with others" skill doesn't get much use when she's playing, well, without others. Her starting stuff wasn't so great either. She had a Flute of the Outer Gods, a Lucky Cigarette Case, the Voice of Ra, and she had Sneak skill.

William was a lot more fortunate. He was skilled at Fight, and he drew a Shotgun and a magical Lamp of Alhazred. With his ability to use monster trophies as clue tokens, he had the potential to wreak some havoc. He also drew three quite nasty nasties as his starting monster trophies. Oh, he also had an Alien Statue, but William isn't really into art, and he just stuffed in a drawer.

Oddly, we both had .18 Derringers. I guess they were on sale.

Things began pretty well for our heroes. They spent a couple of turns grabbing clues and having not-so-harmful encounters. William went up against a Tendril early on and had no trouble beating it back, though he was a bit cranky he could not keep it as a trophy.

Then the monster explosions began. Minh Thi ran into a gate to let the sealing begin, while William went a-hunting. As Minh Thi was returning from the Great Hall of Celeano, William whisked off to R'yleh with his great big hefty bag o'monster bits.

Minh Thi had a bit of trouble sealing the gate, but after a turn of fumbling around, she finally tore off a big enough piece of Saran Wrap and the Witch House was safe. When William got back, he welded the Black Cave gate shut lickity-split, despite only having two dice to throw at it.

Then there was a bit of luck with gates failing to open at sealed locations...except the Deep Ones seemed to be rising higher and higher. William, sensing the need to make a phone call, made his painfully slow way across town, and bought the first ever train ticket to Innsmouth. When he got there he started running around throwing clue tokens, monster trophies, frankly whatever he could find, at the Call In The FBI track. Meanwhile Minh Thi quietly went about the business of collecting clues, and toodled off to the Dreamlands.

William reached the FBI just in time, as the Deep Ones Rising track had reached 5 tokens. After narrowly averting that disaster, he looked up and realized the streets of Innsmouth were crawling with monsters. Or as William prefers to call them, clues.

William had a field day slaughtering clues in the streets (an almost constant clang was heard as Deep One Hybrids, Maniacs, Zombies, and the like were all whacked upside the head with the magical Lamp).

Meanwhile, Minh Thi had made Hibb's Roadhouse safe and a couple of Byakhee that had been circling above flew off to, well, wherever Byakhees go, and with two Gate Trophies in her hot little hands, Minh Thi ran off to Ma's Boarding House. Tom "Mountain Man" Murphy was quite impressed with Minh Thi's...trophies, and took to following her everywhere she went. I guess he's into Sneaky.

While Minh Thi was floozing it up with the Mountain Man, William decided his hefty bag was getting pretty full again, and it was time for another trip to Another Dimension. On his return, William superglued the gate at the Marsh Refinery, and a Hound of Tindalos that had been lurking on the Outskirts of Arkham howled a mournful howl, and slinked off into the moonlight.

Monster explosions were becoming more frequent by now and the Deep One Rising track was starting to fill up again. To make matters worse, Nyogtha's Doom Track was getting awfully full. Despite the best efforts of William "I never roll this good" Yorick, Minh Thi "You never roll that good" Phan and Tom "She's right, you never roll that good" Murphy, time was running out.

But once again, good fortune smiled on our intrepid heroes. Okay, well, on William anyway. All was Quiet in Arkham, and while Minh Thi wasn't feeling particularly Lucky, William felt downright Blessed, which was incredible timing as there was a Deep One Hybrid lurking in the Factory District. This wouldn't phase William, of course, but the Deep One Hybrid had brought his Chthonian friend, and that dude was trouble.

While Minh Thi and Tom set off for the Plateau of Leng with plans to seal a fifth gate, William and his magical Lamp were heard doing their best El Kabong impression. When the Factory District was cleared, William looked at the Doom Track, and saw only two un-tokened spaces left. His gaze then turned toward the Esoteric Order of Dagon, where an extra-tough Warlock and his two pals were guarding the Gate to the City of the Great Race. William reasoned that this was a chance to restuff the hefty bag o'monster bits and close a final gate, but he was feeling iffy about facing the Warlock -- his Lamp would be be useless, and his shotgun would only be firing from one barrel. Then again, William was Blessed and time was short. It was now or never.

The Ghost was no match for the magical Lamp. The Deep One horrified William like no creature had before, but he still found the strength to defeat it. The Warlock threatened to drive him insane, but with victory so near at hand, William kept his wits about him. After fighting with a Lamp for so long, the unfamiliar Shotgun proved difficult to master, but William found enough clues in his hefty bag to figure out how to reload and fire one last six into the Warlock's face. Fortunately, William was able to glean just enough information from his battle with the Warlock to refill his hefty bag, and he entered the City of the Great Race barely sane but still confident.

Four gates sealed. Minh Thi and Tom halfway across the Plateau of Leng, William entering the City of the Great Race...it was looking pretty promising. With victory only a couple of turns away, however, the investigators' great run of luck was about to finally...continue! No sooner had William reached the City (the Great Race says "hi", by the way), than a Strange Powe Flux Gripped Arkham and everyone was sucked back to the city of the pretty good race. "Hello boys...we're back!"

Well, the Investigators wasted no time in making use of this golden opportunity. Minh Thi had just enough duct tape to seal the Unnameable gate, and Blessed William used his blessed nail gun to pump a full clip of blessed nine-inch nails into the gate at the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Great cries of "Take that, Nyogtha!" were heard throughout Arkham and Innsmouth, and there was much rejoicing! Huzzah!

Incidentally, after the game, we realized we had forgotten the Personal Stories. Upon checking though, Minh Thi had not hit her pass or fail conditions (fail was Terror Track reaching 4, and it only reached 2). William had met his Pass condition (get Blessed), and so his Focus was increased to 2. So no harm done there.

I will add that, despite our success in our very first run at Innsmouth, my opinion about the likelihood of winning with 2 or 3 players is unchanged. We got super-lucky and still did not win by much. If Mr. Hefty Bag didn't start with Fight skill and good magical and physical weapons, I wouldn't have just plowed through pretty much all the monsters in sight, being able to use their corpses as clues. If we had to take any real time gathering clues and weapons, there's no way we stay ahead of both the Doom Track and the Deep Ones Rising Track.

For this one game, though, it was gooood to be the Gravedigger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinwho wrote:
Incidentally, after the game, we realized we had forgotten the Personal Stories. Upon checking though, Minh Thi had not hit her pass or fail conditions (fail was Terror Track reaching 4, and it only reached 2). William had met his Pass condition (get Blessed), and so his Focus was increased to 2. So no harm done there.

Whenever William has been in the game for me thus far, my first turn consisted of him hanging at South Church, buying a Blessing for himself with his starting monster trophies (always gotten 5 toughness worth so far), pass his PS and get +1 Focus and Blessed. And yeah, he's a slow one. And to boot starts off at the wrong end of town, for me anyways, Train Station is at the other end and needed to get to DH or IH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report! Amusingly, your title reminded me of the scene in Independence Day in which Will Smith knocks out the alien just as it emerges from its fighter craft and says, "Welcome to Earth."

Since you never once mention it, though, I have one question: Did you remember Martial Law while William was down in Innsmouth? It went into effect in your game as soon as the Doom track hit six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
Thanks for the session report! Amusingly, your title reminded me of the scene in Independence Day in which Will Smith knocks out the alien just as it emerges from its figther craft and says, "Welcome to Earth."

I find that really funny because I wasn't thinking of that at all when I titled it, BUT I was thinking of Independence Day with "Hello boys...we're back!" (a la Randy Quaid)

Quote:
Since you never once mention it, though, I have one question: Did you remember Martial Law while William was down in Innsmouth? It went into effect in your game as soon as the Doom track hit six.

No, no we did not. We did go over that part of the rules before starting, and then promptly forgot about it. Oops! Well, I'm sure he would have been given a free pass...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinwho wrote:
Solan wrote:

No, no we did not. We did go over that part of the rules before starting, and then promptly forgot about it. Oops! Well, I'm sure he would have been given a free pass...

Given William's "awesome" Sneak, maybe, maybe not .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
kevinwho wrote:
Solan wrote:

Given William's "awesome" Sneak, maybe, maybe not .

Yeah, considering I had a Sneak of 1 because I was running around at my full speed of 3, and given that I think the Marsh Refinery has a -1 modifier, I think my chances of evading the law were, oh, nil. Unless of course, I had drawn Donuts from the Common Items deck. "Discard to distract police."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.