Subject: 1st play mixing w/ revised Shadow of Omega rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beau Holder
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting like many for this to come out for quite some time, and as it happened it came out just in time to arrive in my birthday! ^_^

Finally made it to my gaming group and we got to try the new games out with four players. It had been a while since I'd played the original and the other three never played. The estimated play time of 1 hour is very low for 4 players unless everyone knows the game well. Expect 2+ hours for your 1st play through.

Pros:
- Mixing the revised Shadow of Omega with this gave enough cards where you never have to shuffle the discarded advantage cards and encounter cards back into the deck.
- The new addition of "Crisis" to the final missions really adds a very nice element of required haste to finish them.
- Lots of nice new artwork and some very amusing cards.
- Addition of "Trap" cards very cool idea, just seems like not enough when mixing packs for them to come into play enough.

Cons:
- They nerfed the card stock, much flimsier than the original.
- Some cards need better or more specific translations... there's a level 1 encounter stating "Regardless of outcome of combat, one character in your party dies." Which interpreted literally means if you have only one character, they automatically will die and you lose the rest of your turn!
- Still not a fan of the mechanic where you ignore encounters too high level for your area... easily fixed by house rules though.
- Steep learning curve for new players. There are many phases with many aspects of play and it's near impossible to explain it all without the whole group reading both manuals a few times before play.
- Playing time on box should have been more honest like the original "20 minutes per player" as would be more accurate.

Overall we all enjoyed the game. Fairly unique mechanics a definite draw to a lot of us... probably won't hit the table again anytime soon, so I'll be working on adapting my solo-play rules to this game, so we'll see how that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Schoonover
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vriaeliss wrote:

Cons:
- They nerfed the card stock, much flimsier than the original.

I'm not sure that the card stock is lighter than the original. When you linen finish cards, they become more flexible.

My only con so far (just bought it, haven't played though) is that I'm going to have to buy a copy of the SoO reprint so that all my cards are linen finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card quality is awesome!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.