Subject: What's revised in the revised edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ash Brown
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Has anyone compared the two editions and knows what exactly has been changed and/or fixed?

Also, a couple of specific questions:
1) Is the older edition compatible with the new expansion, or is the revised edition necessary to play?
2) Has the quality (card stock, printing, etc.) of the game changed?

Thanks, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook at http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/anima-shadow-o...
Quote:
Although Beyond Good and Evil is an independent
game, it has also been designed to be combined
with the core Anima card game: Shadow of Omega.
By combining both decks of cards, players can
exponentially increase the variety and gameplay
possibilities in Anima.
To combine the sets, separate and group the
cards from the two decks by category (Character,
Advantage, Encounter, and Area). The only exceptions
are the Mission cards from Shadow of Omega, because
they are not compatible with the Area and Event cards
from Beyond Good and Evil. Players should remove the
13 Shadow of Omega Mission cards, leaving only the
Mission cards from this expansion. If players wish to
play with the old Mission cards from Shadow of Omega,
the Mission, Area, and Event cards from Beyond Good
and Evil must be removed instead

It doesn't specify the revised edition is required for the expansion to work with it, and the card backs look the same if you look in the rulebook. I think the card stock is linen finished this time, but I don't think the difference will affect game play too much. You could always ask FFG to make sure, they're pretty good about answering questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Brown
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the response, Steven. I never even thought to ask FFG; it's good to know that they are approachable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. I'm going to get Beyond Good and Evil, but I'll be away from home for a month. If you get it anytime soon, it'd be great if you could let me know what it's like mixed in with the non-revised Shadow of Omega.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Brown
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I picked up a copy of Beyond Good and Evil last night. I haven't played it yet, or combined it with Shadow of the Omega, but from glancing through it, I think they'll work together, more or less.

The cards from original edition of Shadow of the Omega have black borders, instead of white. Also, the revised edition has a matte finish while the original edition does not. This could be a small issue, especially if players count cards and are very familiar with which cards are in which deck.

The original edition is missing the Crisis! mechanic introduced in the revised edition Final Mission cards. However, these cards are removed when combining with Beyond Good and Evil so this shouldn't effect gameplay. (Although, one variation allows the use of the Shadow of the Omega mission cards when combining decks.)

Assuming Beyond Good and Evil has the same rules as the revised edition of Shadow of the Omega, most rule modifications/changes should be able to be made. I believe that the original edition can be adapted, but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly read the rulebooks to see yet.

I have no idea if any of the cards, card descriptions, card texts, card attributes, etc. have been changed from the original edition. This may or may not be problematic to overall gameplay.

(Please note, I have not actually seen the revised edition in order to make a strict comparison to the original edition.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixTerran wrote:
Thanks for the response, Steven. I never even thought to ask FFG; it's good to know that they are approachable.

It's been my experience that FFG has amazing customer service. I've been very impressed. They are definitely very approachable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So has anyone done an actual comparison yet?

I have the original game and I want the expansion...but if the cards from the expansion really stand out against the cards from the original, then I might pass. I am not sure that it is worth buying the revised original game.

I read that the artwork has changed,etc...but have any of the cards been modified?

I am really looking to find out if the revised version changes anything substantial...aside from the rules changes.

Thanks in advance.....!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Brown
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really should have posted this earlier, sorry!

I messaged Critical Miss here on BGG who worked on the new edition and who was kind enough to respond:

"The wording on some of the original cards has changed, but the changes are really minor. I just changed the wording on some text to be more uniform. Also, a lot of the original cards left out things like capitalization and I corrected all of those. As far as rule changes go, I didn't make any changes, really. The Crisis mechanic is only on the Final Mission cards, and technically, you wouldn't be using any of the mission cards from the first game if you mixed the two games together.

The cards now have a linen finish, so you'd definitely be able to tell which cards are from which games if you mixed them together. If this isn't a problem for you, then I'd say the two sets would work fine together. The rules are essentially the same as well. The only real difference between SoO and BGaE are the Arcane Characters. (You have to have recruited 3 regular characters before you get one super-powerful Arcane Characters) and the Crisis Mechanic. But, considering that you'd only be mixing in the Characters, Locations, Advantage, and Encounter cards from the first game into the second game, you wouldn't have to worry about the missions or the Crisis thang."

I've played a game with the original edition with the expansion and it worked pretty well. The only major visual difference is that the older cards have a black border while the newer cards have a white boarder, so it's pretty easy to tell what deck something is coming from. My group hasn't played the game enough to really know what is in each deck, so it didn't make much of a difference.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.