Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) during each turn, you are allowed to play 1 land during one of your main phases. Most land can be tapped for 1 type of mana. to play a spell from your hand, you must be able to tap enough land to produce the correct combination of mana to cast the particular spell.

2) first strike damage happens BEFORE regular combat damage.

so say i attack you with my 2/2 creature and you block with a 2/2 creature of your own.

if neither creature had first strike, the 2 would kill each other.

BUT ..

if my creature had first strike, my 2 damage would happen before you even applied your 2 damage to me, so your creature would die and mine would have taken no damage.

make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I assume you're referring to Land cards. When you play a land card, you don't discard it, you put it into play in front of you. You can only play one land per turn, and only during your main phase.

Lands don't give you mana until you tap them (turn them sideways). When you tap a land, the mana goes into your mana pool, from where you must spend it or get burnt (unless you're playing with the new Magic 2010 rules).

The way the mana burn works is that if you don't spend it, your mana pool empties at the end of the current phase, and you take 1 damage for each unspent mana. This is uncommon since if you don't need the mana, you usually wouldn't have tapped the land in the first place.

2) If any creature has first strike or double strike, then there are two combat damage steps instead of one. In the first one, you assign and resolve damage for all creatures with first strike or double strike. In the second one, you assign and resolve damage for all surviving creatures with double strike or with neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to place "Land" cards in order to obtain mana.
First place for example a "Plain" land-card.
When you have placed it you can tap the card for mana.

Well in order to describe it completely there is a lot of explanation.
See http://www.wizards.com/magic/rules/EN_Magic_Basic_Rulebook_2... page 8.
You can lay down one land per turn on your table. And then afterwards you can do as described.

In the same document on page 26 first strike is explained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Quick
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Lands are the cards used for mana. You can play one ("put one into the battlefield" with the new lingo) each turn. Land that is tapped for mana is not discarded, but is unavailable until your next upkeep. Of course, they are cards that break these rules, and will allow you to get more than one land into play each turn, and others that may allow you to untap your lands. But without those cards, the above applies.

2. Combat goes like this:

-Declare attackers
-Stack of effects
-Declare blockers
-Stack of effects
-Assign and deal damage

When damage is assigned, creatures with first strike (and double strike) deal their damage first. If the other creature survives, then it deals it's damaged back to the first strike creature.

For example, creature A (2/2 creature with First Strike) attacks, and is blocked by a 6/2 creature without First Strike. When damage is assigned, Creature A deals 2 damage to the 6/2 creature killing it before it receives any damage.

If creature A attacks, and is blocked by a 6/3 creature without First Strike, Creature A deals 2 damage to the 6/3. The 6/3 survives (since 2 damage isn't enough to kill it), then does it's 6 damage to creature A, smooshing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
gulpereel wrote:
I know all the rules to lands. I am refering to other cards such as instants, sorceries and creatures. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you can play non-land cards from your hand and use them for mana.

There are spells such as Seething Song that give you mana when you cast them, and there are creatures and artifacts such as Birds of Paradise that can be tapped for mana once they're already in play. However, there is no rule that allows you to just discard cards for extra mana, if that's what you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
gulpereel wrote:
I know all the rules to lands. I am refering to other cards such as instants, sorceries and creatures. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you can play non-land cards from your hand and use them for mana.

I suspect you're recalling a variant format like Mo'Land, which basically doesn't use lands but instead uses the other card types as mana sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question.
Do I have to tap all the land and artifacts I'd like to use for mana at one time, or can I tap as I need it (say to play an instant)?

I'm trying to figure out why mana burn was in the rules in the first place, and it only makes sense if you had to build your pool in one phase and rely upon unspent mana still in the pool to play from for, say, an interrupt during your opponent's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruprecht
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
losh14 wrote:
Related question.
Do I have to tap all the land and artifacts I'd like to use for mana at one time, or can I tap as I need it (say to play an instant)?

I'm trying to figure out why mana burn was in the rules in the first place, and it only makes sense if you had to build your pool in one phase and rely upon unspent mana still in the pool to play from for, say, an interrupt during your opponent's turn.

You can tap for mana as you need it. Mana burn never came up very often; here are some reasons that it could:
* Some lands produce more than one mana - for example, Mishra's Workshop, or anything enchanted by Fertile Ground.
* Filter lands can also cause issues - if you want to cast Tidehollow Sculler with an island, a Fetid Heath, and a Sunken Ruins, you can, but you'll have an extra mana when you're done.
* Some cards, like Wake Thrasher and Power Surge, give incentives to tap lands.
* If you get hit with Mistbind Clique during your upkeep, and your only hope of winning is to draw Flame Javelin, it's correct to float enough mana to cast it. (The change to when mana pools empty kills this one, though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
losh14 wrote:
Related question.

You can tap for mana when you need it.

Mana burn in rules before M2010 makes sense because of cards that produce more than one mana at once. The first Magic core set contained several of those: Black Lotus, Dark Ritual, Mana Flare, Wild Growth, Gauntlet of Might, Basalt Monolith, Mana Vault, Drain Power, Channel, Sacrifice, Sol Ring. Others have been added in later sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.