Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone...

It occurred to me the other day that my life would probably be easier if I let my wife win a game now and then... especially a game I've brought home for the first time. I think this would go a long way toward the acceptance of new games, and, well, make for a slightly more pleasant game-playing life.

However, we are both very competitive, and it's not like she doesn't beat me sometimes.

Just curious to see how other people handle this. I, for good or for ill, must vote No.
Poll
Do you let your significant other win at games?
Yes.
No.
      303 answers
Poll created by Original_CorPse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Where's the, "I pretend that I let her win" option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
There also needs to be a "sometimes" option. A wise husband learns to read his significant other accurately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
Where's the, "I pretend that I let her win" option?

artfuldodge2 wrote:
There also needs to be a "sometimes" option. A wise husband learns to read his significant other accurately.

Haha I agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't let her win...she crushes me without any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Or, there's also a time to sandbag a little in every situation.... even if you don't outright throw the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I said no, but I don't know what she would say... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
"Let"?

Clearly you have not met my significant other!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
I don't even let my 4 year old nephew win at games. They don't learn anything by doing that.

I may even give him some smack talk too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artfuldodge2 wrote:

Well, strictly speaking "sometimes" is a Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rholzgrafe wrote:
"Let"?

Clearly you have not met my significant other!

To be fair, my wife did crush me a fair amount at Lost Cities until it clicked for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
I don't even let my 4 year old nephew win at games. They don't learn anything by doing that.

I may even give him some smack talk too.

Bippi makes note to self: "Don't play with MWChapel"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Occasionally I let her win at Connect-4. Other than that I go full blast every time. My 10 year old nephew refuses to play chess anymore with me. Sorry dude, I can't NOT make the best move I see. So we play Ticket to Ride instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will usually play a bit below par in a teaching game, i.e. the first game when I'm explaining the rules. But I do that for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't let her win. 'Cause if I did, she would cut of my testicles and feed them to me before killing me.zombie

Other than that she's a very pleasant person. She just doesn't tolerate being helped or favoured during games. If she loses she's ok with it though. Except for Memoir '44 that is.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind Reality wrote:
I don't let her win. 'Cause if I did, she would cut off my testicles and feed them to me before killing me.:zombie:

Other than that she's a very pleasant person.:D She just doesn't tolerate being helped or favoured during games. If she loses she's ok with it though. Except for Memoir '44 that is.:devil:

Well, uh, by all means, play to win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife would be furious and insulted if I let her win. We both agreed long ago that we will play our best no matter what. It's really a moot point since she is a strong player, which compels me to focus and play well.

We believe in Herr Knizia's philosophy of gaming. Check out my microbadge if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need. He wins enough without help. So do I. So does our kid. Maybe because we play a wide variety of games. And/or because we're all wicked smaht.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I don't let her win, but I don't take my show-no-mercy game to the table, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't.

Usually I can beat her easily the first 2-3 times on a game she never played, but after that she turns into a very good opponent.

Before I met her I never lost a game of Kahuna (I know, not the deepest game around, but it's fun). The first day we played, we did 6 complete games and she won 4 of them.

-Oeternalis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik S
Sweden
Kiruna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I do not. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't exactly let my SO win, but I do play suboptimally when I'm first teaching the game to her: I take less time on my moves, I analyze less, etc. I think that's only fair, since I've typically read the rules already and looked up some (maybe several) (ok, maybe every) review and article here on BGG, and the point of the first few games is to give her time to come up with a strategy.

Maybe another question is: do you let your SO not lose? For instance, do you let him/her take back one move (or several) if there's a misstep?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What and miss the opportunity for her to look at me from the other side of the table with an impish grin and say: "You're a very good teacher!"? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. She is a snake in the grass, and if you don't watch her, she will sneak her way to winning while I am bashing on another player.

I did finally get her to sit down and play Axis and Allies Anniversary edition with me and the son the other day. We had one other player at the table, so I took all the Axis power while they took the Allies.

I ended up crushing Britain (Wife) and Russia (Son) quickly, and she told me she would never play the game again. Guess I should have let the wookie win that one....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
Maybe another question is: do you let your SO not lose? For instance, do you let him/her take back one move (or several) if there's a misstep?

Yes... do-overs in a new game seem only fair... once everyone knows the rules, though. :whistle:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.