BANG!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cat Balou and Panic Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Cat Balou: Can you only make a player discard a played blue card in front of them, in which case, do you select the card they have to discard? Or if they have no played blue card, do they discard one randomly from their hand?

Panic: With "draw a card", can it only be against blue cards they have played, in which case you select the card? Or if they have none (or if you do desire) can you draw blindly from their hand?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Your rulings sound correct.

Just to clarify in other words:

Cat Balou makes someone discard a played blue bordered card OR discard a random one from hand.

Panic lets you steal a played blue bordered card, or steal one randomly from a hand.

Note that CB has no range limit, while Panic has a range of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Please note that it is more than just "blue-bordered" cards. It is cards played in front of you. If you are just using the base game - this is equalt to blue-bordered cards but if you add an expansion, it could be green-bordered cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this was clarified in the Bullet expansion, but I don't have these rules. I believe they said a Cat Bayou must be against a card that has been played and a panic must be from the hand. My original rules are not clear on this point, and we switched when my sister got the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jentinma wrote:
I believe this was clarified in the Bullet expansion, but I don't have these rules. I believe they said a Cat Bayou must be against a card that has been played and a panic must be from the hand. My original rules are not clear on this point, and we switched when my sister got the expansion.

Sounds like you have it backwards.

Cat Balou's symbols are "Discard" and "Any one player." So regardless of distance, that player chooses which one of his own cards to discard. I believe this would include dynamite and maybe jail (or not, have to check the rules).

Panic! symbols are "Draw 1 card" and "Range 1." So you may draw one card, of your choice, from the player(/s) within range that is either "in play" or in their hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
Cat Balou's symbols are "Discard" and "Any one player." So regardless of distance, that player chooses which one of his own cards to discard.

We played that it was a random discard from the hand, or the person playing it could select another person's played card. Apparently we were wrong. So you can't use Cat Balou against blue cards, and when you play it on someone, they can select the card they discard? (So by extension, you can't play Cat Balou on someone without cards in their hand, even if they have played cards in front of them?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JYoder wrote:
SPARTAN VI wrote:
Cat Balou's symbols are "Discard" and "Any one player." So regardless of distance, that player chooses which one of his own cards to discard.

We played that it was a random discard from the hand, or the person playing it could select another person's played card. Apparently we were wrong. So you can't use Cat Balou against blue cards, and when you play it on someone, they can select the card they discard? (So by extension, you can't play Cat Balou on someone without cards in their hand, even if they have played cards in front of them?)

The only thing correct about the previous statement was what the symbols mean. The interpretation is incorrect.

The person who plays Cat Balou selects "any player" and then "discards a card" of theirs. They can choose a random card from hand or discard a card that has been played on the table. The Cat balou is an effective weapon against Dynamite and Jail. But again, it is the person playing the Cat Balou that can select what gets discarded: again a specific card ont eh table OR a random card from the hand. the target has no say.

This is different from the Panic card in two regards: 1) you can only target a player at 1 distance (as opposed to any player) and 2) you draw the card into your own hand (instead of discarding it). Otherwise it acts the same in that it can target a specific card on the table or draw a random card from an opponent's hand.

EDIT:
And for a little official support:
2nd Edition FAQ wrote:

Q28. Can I use Panic! or Cat Balou on cards in play?
A.
Of course yes. You can play the Cat Balou on a card in an opponent’s hand (randomly choosing
which card to pick) or on any one card in play, at your choice. The same for Panic!, with the
following differences: you can target only cards of a player at distance 1, and the card you
choose goes in your hand even if it was already in play. When that card is in your hand, you can
play it as any other card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
JYoder wrote:
SPARTAN VI wrote:

The only thing correct about the previous statement was what the symbols mean. The interpretation is incorrect.

The person who plays Cat Balou selects "any player" and then "discards a card" of theirs. They can choose a random card from hand or discard a card that has been played on the table. The Cat balou is an effective weapon against Dynamite and Jail. But again, it is the person playing the Cat Balou that can select what gets discarded: again a specific card ont eh table OR a random card from the hand. the target has no say.

This is different from the Panic card in two regards: 1) you can only target a player at 1 distance (as opposed to any player) and 2) you draw the card into your own hand (instead of discarding it). Otherwise it acts the same in that it can target a specific card on the table or draw a random card from an opponent's hand.

EDIT:
And for a little official support:
2nd Edition FAQ wrote:

Q28. Can I use Panic! or Cat Balou on cards in play?
A.
Of course yes. You can play the Cat Balou on a card in an opponent’s hand (randomly choosing
which card to pick) or on any one card in play, at your choice. The same for Panic!, with the
following differences: you can target only cards of a player at distance 1, and the card you
choose goes in your hand even if it was already in play. When that card is in your hand, you can
play it as any other card.

thumbsup Given

I concede and will heed the correct rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tai Woll
Canada
flag msg tools
One quick question, lets say I have a cat ballou, 2 panics and a bang in my hand, am I able to use 2 panics in one turn??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gozzy wrote:
One quick question, lets say I have a cat ballou, 2 panics and a bang in my hand, am I able to use 2 panics in one turn??

Yes. You are only limited to playing a single Bang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.