Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I looked through all the forums but can't find a real clear answer.

Here is the situation.

Roman player moves his army across a mountain pass. Roman army is intercepted. Roman army decides not to avoid battle (if he would have been able to avoid he would have to retreat back over the mountain pass). Roman army loses battle and has to retreat.

Roman army is not able to retreat back over a mountain pass. The only other available space is the space where the interceptor came from. Can the Roman army move to that space? I believe so, since the Roman army was the attacker and it's only defenders who are not allowed to retreat to the space where the attacker came from.

Am I correct in my thinking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Everett
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the first sentence of 15.2 says that a retreat may not cross a mountain pass. Further down, under exceptions (b) the rule is that "if the original attacker retreats, he must always retreat first into the space in which he entered the battle."

So my interpretation is that the Roman army in this case has no legal retreat (because the space he entered battle from is across a mountain pass). Therefore, the Romans would be eliminated!

-Donald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Donald is right, never enter a battle by crossing a mountain pass because if you are forced to retreat your army is destroyed. If your opponent causes the battle by intercepting your army - good for them.

FYI - This is the common way to destroy Hannibal as he crosses the Alps - a Roman army successfully intercepts from Boli, wins the battle and Hannibal can't retreat.

PS - IIRC you CAN NOT avoid battle after moving across a mountain pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, yes you remember correctly, you can't avoid battle and cross a mountain pass. I choose the wrong wording, I should have said the Roman army can do one step back, even over a mountain pass, after being intercepted. You will have to roll for attrition again (rulebook 12.5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
Thanks, yes you remember correctly, you can't avoid battle and cross a mountain pass. I choose the wrong wording, I should have said the Roman army can do one step back, even over a mountain pass, after being intercepted. You will have to roll for attrition again (rulebook 12.5).

Nope. The army is eliminated.

Cheers.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
cmontgo2 wrote:
burrie wrote:

Nope. The army is eliminated.

Cheers.

Chris

Not if the army wants to do one step back, even over a mountain pass, after interception. Rule 12.5 right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid Libman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
An Army which is Intercepted is never required to give battle;
it may instead back up to its last-occupied space and end
its movement. If an Army has to back up across a pass, it must
roll for attrition again.

Check out rule 12.5 Backing up one space.

So the best choice for Romans, if intercepted in such way, to back up one space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid Libman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry I misunderstood the question. After battle if it cannot retreat it's eliminated.

Quote:
15.2 Restrictions on Retreats
The retreat may not cross a mountain pass (either type) or
strait.

Quote:
b If the original attacker retreats, he must always retreat
first into the space in which he entered the battle.
c If the original defender retreats, he is prohibited from
entering the space from which the attacker entered
the battle from during the full length of his retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... crazy, how I played this with my brother and attacked him/P Scipio Up the Alps with Hannibal! Even though I won the battle with a Double Envelopment (causing him to roll a "5" on the Retreat Table- OUCH!)... now looking back at it, If I was so unlucky (with the Battle Cards)... I would have been eliminated just as easy! ...and that was on turn ONE!!! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.