The Great Pacific War» Forums » Rules

Subject: divisional size units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Del Ponte
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
looking for interpretations on the division rules, and how to implement the divisions. For the life of me I can't fiqure out why you just don't build the divisions into the game. As I read the rules you can build the divisions normally just like any other unit. Why would you hold them back to split a normal unit? It seams that the reduction in available ground factors would not justify keeping them in the force pool to reduce on map units.

maybe I'm missing something in the rules that makes these things worth while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Adams
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the three full campaign games I've played they've only been used a few times. As best I can tell the main reason you'd want to use them is to have more units available to you, providing options to cover more territory. For example, a 4-4 MAR unit with 2 LC can split up and head to two unprotected ports or beaches. You have to weigh that flexibility against the penalties associated with a division unit. I suppose there may be an option in a game to split them to help surround a unit(s) too, but I haven't seen that come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks to me like you are supposed to form the 'corps' out of the division units, if there are division units--mainly the Marines, some armour and paratroop units. So you can have the associated corps, or the divisions, but not both on the map at the same time--makes sense logically, and note the force pools sometimes say a corps is 'available for buildup' at a certain time, I think a few corps denoted in the force pools are simply missing this notation.

Consider the rule that the associated corps unit is only lost from the force pool if all the associated division units are lost out of supply--if at least one is not lost out of supply, the 'cadre' of the corps still exists.

As far as how to use, as mentioned having the Marines in division size units allows multiple invasions against undefended islands and coastlines. The paratroopers can be employed similarly in small units. And the Japanese can use their armoured divisions to give a little more punch along the line in China, though it is best to keep them with a corps sized unit and involve another 1-strength unit in the attack since the divisions alone are a bit vulnerable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.