Guido Favaro
Italy
Todi
Perugia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After our first play we're still asking for when we would use/play white and black cubes, and what them describe.

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the cubes are used to denote increases/decreases in stats on the threat cards.. like changes in speed/shields etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, certain of the more advanced threats will increase/decrease their shields and movement. This is depicted by the white and black cubes. White is +1, while black is -1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From page 12 of the handbook:

Threats with Variable Parameters

Some threats change their parameters when they execute an X or Y action.
They might increase their speed, or raise or lower shields. If a parameter
can change, it is marked with a + or – symbol.
To help keep track, there are black and white blocks. When a threat's shields or speed increases, place a white block next to the corresponding number. Ifthe parameter decreases, use a black block. A black block can also be used to denote that the Cryoshield Fighter (which you may know from Lesson 4a)or Cryoshield Frigate has been hit already.

A + symbol associated with a threat’s hit points indicates that the threat
can heal or repair itself. It has an X or Y action which will tell you to remove a certain number of red blocks from it. (If it is undamaged when it performs this action, nothing happens.)

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is something that I found VERY USEFUL in reading and understanding rules. ALWAYS download the PDF version of the rulebooks. That way, if you don't understand something, you can search the rulebook for an answer. 99% of the times this works. For example. You want to know what the white/black cubes are for. Open the PDF rulebook and search BLACK. the very first "hit" I got said:

Black and white blocks for variable parameters of threats; PAGE 2.

The second hit I got: Use black blocks to indicate reductions and white blocks to indicate increases. PAGE 6

OK... you get the idea. This is pretty much only good if the rules are available on a PDF.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.