Attack! Deluxe Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Playing time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ryan jilek
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have never played Attack!, the expansion, or the Deluxe version, and I'm looking for more information into the game before I make my purchase.

I'm wondering what is the playing time for the game about? I would be mostly playing 3-4 person games. I'm kinda looking for a game that can take all night, something that can take up to 5 hours easilly, with all the players being involved for the majority of the playing time. Even if the playtime is only 2 hours with 3-4 players, can the rules be easily modified to turn it into an all-nighter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ty church
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Well just me and my friend played a 2 person game total war(12 turns) in 3 hours. The way the game works is it ends when the set turn number expires or someone loses a capital. you can easliy get a 4 hour game with the normal rules but if you want longer make the game end after like 15 turns or more and make it so the game doesnt end untill a player is completly destroyed instad of just losing his capital.

I recomend the game and trust me they can really go as long as you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played in a long time, but I always thought it was pretty streamlined for this kind of game. You might be looking at 3 hours for a slow game, 4 if people don't pay attention and plan their turns. Hopefully someone who has the new DX set can comment. I think there were supposed to be some rule tweaks. Perhaps there are also some more advanced rules that would give you the meat you're wanting.

For conquest type games, I know Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) can take 3+ hours for a fast group, or my group, 5 or 6 hours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a playtester for this game, I played several games with different numbers of people. Before you even start playing, you decide if you want to play a "limited war" (6 turns), a "major war" (9 turns), or a "total war" (12 turns). Our group found that with 6 players, each turn lasted approximately 45 minutes, or 7-8 minutes per player per turn. Mind you, we threw out the "capturing a capital city immediately ends the game" rule, which resulted in some games ending very prematurely!

Stay tuned for a very detailed (ie. long) review, which I hope to finish up this week...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryan jilek
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the feedback. I'm just looking for a game to replace the usual Axis and Allies nights I sometimes have. Nothing beats being drunk at 4am in the morning, trying to wrap up a boardgame that you have been playing non-stop for hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tacobusstop wrote:
Thank you for the feedback. I'm just looking for a game to replace the usual Axis and Allies nights I sometimes have. Nothing beats being drunk at 4am in the morning, trying to wrap up a boardgame that you have been playing non-stop for hours.

This definitely sounds like the one for you then!

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack is superior to Axis and Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
burton loupee
msg tools
We haven't yet played Deluxe, but my group (7-10 players) will sometimes play a variation where we play the standard game rules with the exception of all of the game ending rules (and obviously points) and we play Risk style to conquer the world. This will take 10 hours and we never usually finish. A fun variant to keep the game going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack isn't necessarily "superior" to Axis and Allies, both provide a good time - both provide a different gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Viracocha wrote:
Attack isn't necessarily "superior" to Axis and Allies, both provide a good time - both provide a different gaming experience.

That is absolutely wrong. Attack! is superior in absolutely every way.

(I'm not being serious, if you can't tell . . . )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
!Stay tuned for a very detailed (ie. long) review, which I hope to finish up this week...

Here it is:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/428434

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.