Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Starry
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question that has come up in our current game. If the Etruscan/Samnite plays the Grand Coalition card during his turn while the Gauls are besieging an Etruscan city, what happens to the Gallic army that is conducting the siege on the walled city? Rule 15.3 specifies that allies cannot stack in the same space, so where does the Gaul force go in this case since the Gauls and Etruscans are now allies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walled cities are interesting. Armies can either be inside or out. Actions that effect those outside don't necessarily effect the ones inside. It still may technically count as a "mixed stack" which isn't allowed - in which case the Gauls would have to move to an adjacent space I presume. However, it also could be that as long as the allied armies stay separated by the city walls they are ok. Combined sorties would not be allowed and the Gauls could not escape to inside the city, if attacked, even if there were room for them.

I haven't looked at the living rules or the FAQ lately - any help there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Starry
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying Richard. Unfortunately the living rules do not clarify this situation and I have not gotten a reply from the designer on ConsimWorld yet either.

I don't believe that your walled city distinction is applicable in this case. Allied armies would be considered illegally stacked in the same space regardless of the presence of a city per the play note on page 16 of the rules following rule 15.3.

In our current PBeM game we went with the same assumption you did and simply displaced the Gallic army that had been besieging the Etruscan city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aerodynamics wrote:
I have a question that has come up in our current game. If the Etruscan/Samnite plays the Grand Coalition card during his turn while the Gauls are besieging an Etruscan city, what happens to the Gallic army that is conducting the siege on the walled city? Rule 15.3 specifies that allies cannot stack in the same space, so where does the Gaul force go in this case since the Gauls and Etruscans are now allies?

Since they are an ally, I wouldn't think they should be displaced... maybe just force them on their next turn to move to a legal position that wouldn't create mixed stacks?

Dunno.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aerodynamics wrote:
In our current PBeM game we went with the same assumption you did and simply displaced the Gallic army that had been besieging the Etruscan city.
I think this is how I would do it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.