Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Holder
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first non hasbro/parker brother board game I remember playing was Rail Baron. My dad (retired switchman with SP/UP) even had his own modified rules and cards for it. Fast forward 20 years and I am now addicted to board games. I have tried several train games over the last few years without doing my research and have suffered the consequences (Ticket to Ride and TransAmerica). Makes me wish I could find our old copy of Rail Baron...

I feel that Steam is probably the best train game to try next, given my taste in board games (low amount of random luck and multiple paths to victory). I am very, very interested in the Age of Steam expansion Age of Steam Expansion: 1830's Pennsylvania / Northern California because Norther California is where I live and was raised and it's where my dad worked for 35+ years on the railroad. I think both of us would enjoy this expansion.

So, what I wanted to know and haven't got a good feel for by searching through the forums, is how well does this expansion go with Steam? Am I better off with Age of Steam over Steam? I think I like the improvements in design and mechanics I have read about in Steam. I want the expansion to smoothly go with Steam and not have to force it to work. Are the old expansions ever going to be released for Steam?

Thanks for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe that there are any modified rules for Age of Steam Expansion: 1830's Pennsylvania / Northern California to make it work with Steam yet. However, given that this expansion is made by Bezier Games (Ted Alspach), it's safe to assume that it will be done eventually. You can visit their site here: http://games.bezier.com/

Even if it's not done by Bezier Games, I'm sure one from the large fan base will end up putting up some good Steam rules for it. I'd say go for Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Steam looks like a game that you are looking for then by all means purchase it.

HOWEVER, I am going to caution against purchasing Steam if the intention is to play Age of Steam maps. I would say this especially for those that do not currently offer tested and authorized conversions, but I think this is true even for those that currently offer conversions.

Steam and Age of Steam while sharing many mechanisms and history are very different games. They have different points of emphasis. Even with a conversion an expansion map designed for Age of Steam cannot offer the same gaming experience on Steam as it was originally intended to. With proper testing, it might generate a good gaming experience for some value of good.

Published AOS expansions maps have generally received a lot of play testing before reaching that stage. They have been geared to a particular base game. Some by their nature may not be convertible into
a gaming experience that is remotely similar to how they were originally designed. Whether 1830Penn/ NorCal is going to receive the work and testing necessary to make a good expansion to Steam is a question best asked directly of Mr Alspach.

If I were to purchase Steam, I would look for expansions to it not to other games. If I wanted to play Age of Steam expansions, I would purchase Age of Steam (and the expansion!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Desiderata wrote:
I don't believe that there are any modified rules for Age of Steam Expansion: 1830's Pennsylvania / Northern California to make it work with Steam yet. However, given that this expansion is made by Bezier Games (Ted Alspach), it's safe to assume that it will be done eventually. You can visit their site here: http://games.bezier.com/

Ted posted Steam-compatible rules for this expansion into the Files section long before the game was actually published.

Quote:

Even if it's not done by Bezier Games, I'm sure one from the large fan base will end up putting up some good Steam rules for it. I'd say go for Steam.

To me it'd make more sense to play AoS expansions with AoS and any future Steam expansions with Steam. Northern California is one of my favorite AoS maps, but even more so than normal AoS it's charm is largely due to how harsh and unforgiving it is, and that quality seems unlikely to survive the transition to Steam.

I guess if you're just looking to play something with a train theme set in a geographical location you like, you could go with Steam. But it does mean missing out on the brilliant original vision of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should take a look at: Union Pacific, the Empire Builder series, and Chicago Express, at least. Stephenson's Rocket would also be good, but I think it's very unavailable. You might also look at Silverton, a pretty heavy RR game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
You should take a look at: Union Pacific, the Empire Builder series, and Chicago Express, at least. Stephenson's Rocket would also be good, but I think it's very unavailable. You might also look at Silverton, a pretty heavy RR game.

I just got a copy of Stephenson's Rocket through the marketplace, so it can be had, though not cheaply. Both it, and Silverton would be good choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Believe it or not, I still love playing Waddington's Railroader. Not that I am trying to compare Steam with this old fossil, you understand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also get the Dutch version of Stephenson's Rocket cheaply here
http://www.ludibay.net/stephensons-rocket-p-185.html
All you need is a copy of the English rules, available on the BGG game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:

At 39.90EUR 15.89EUR for the next 8 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Holder
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate all the info so far. I am fairly certain that I want Steam or Age of Steam (the mechanics for these games are right up my alley). My main concern was how well the Age of Steam expansions will work with Steam. Sounds like they will work, but buyer beware, they may not be perfect since the expansions were originally envisioned for the original game.

Still not sure which way I lean...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
alexgrant wrote:

At 39.90EUR 15.89EUR for the next 8 hours.

And the shipping's reasonable too. I had mine sent to the other side of the globe for only 13EUR. It was supposed to take two months but instead surprised me by arriving in only two weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.