Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 85 300zx that is really rough when the engine is cold but runs great when it's warm. I've done all the normal tune up stuff but it hasn't helped. Anyone out there have a similar experience with a resolution they could pass along?

I'm trying to avoid the $95/hr mechanic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't drive like my brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
Don't drive like my brother!

Don't drive over my brother.

In all serious, my guess is that the car is just getting worn out. The parts get loose when they're cold and expand to fit tight when it heats up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be a number of things. A few auto part places will pull your engine trouble codes for you (Autozone does locally) so you can narrow it down.

Super rough guess would be the engine coolant sensor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
feydjm wrote:
I have a 85 300zx that is really rough when the engine is cold but runs great when it's warm. I've done all the normal tune up stuff but it hasn't helped. Anyone out there have a similar experience with a resolution they could pass along?

I'm trying to avoid the $95/hr mechanic!

It could be a number of things. O2 sensor, catalytic converter, coolant temperature sensor, mass air flow sensor (MAF), throttle position sensor (TPS), thermostat, fuel injectors...

If you can find the TPS, MAF and coolant temp sensors cheap enough and you have a shop manual try replacing those and using some fuel additive to clean out the injectors. You might have good results. I had a similar problem with a Mazda and did all of the above... I think it cost ~$100 total for the parts and it took only an hour. It fixed the problem, not sure which of the things did it but at least I had new parts on an old car.

Is it red? I had a red 85 Z.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
renegaderebel wrote:
In all serious, my guess is that the car is just getting worn out. The parts get loose when they're cold and expand to fit tight when it heats up.

There's your answer. Most likely it's the watchamacallit that is expanding and contracting... once that is worn out it is time to get a new car. This is why you never see cars on the road that are more than 20 years old or have more than 200k miles on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could be dealing with a cylinder misfire, or a problem related to your distributor. If it is only a problem when the car first starts, I doubt it is the ignition control module, but that is normally an inexpensive part, and is very easy to swap out (a couple of phillips head screws and a 2 cable connectors).

Past that, I would follow the earlier advice and look into problems with you mass air flow sensor or O2 sensor. Could be that they are not adjusting your fuel/air mix correctly for the engine when it first starts, and then as it warms up they begin to operate correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
renegaderebel wrote:

There's your answer. Most likely it's the watchamacallit that is expanding and contracting... once that is worn out it is time to get a new car. This is why you never see cars on the road that are more than 20 years old or have more than 200k miles on them.

Now now, I never suggested getting a new car. I'm just theorizing these things might just be part of the normal wear of a 20 year old car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
renegaderebel wrote:
pronoblem wrote:
renegaderebel wrote:

Now now, I never suggested getting a new car. I'm just theorizing these things might just be part of the normal wear of a 20 year old car.

I'd buy this argument if it ran sort of overall crappy, but given how well it runs when it's warm, I don't know.

I just hope it's not the MAF, a reman'd one is $200!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.