Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't figured out the theme of my fan expansion, by now, well, it's magic (without the gathering). I wanted my expansion to play a bit with Curses and the Trash, so there are a number of cards that give out curses.

Such as this Reaction card, Ward.

You'll note that it is NOT an action card, which might make it less valuable, although it seemed to be popular enough in tests. And it is an attack card, which means it triggers other Reaction cards. (Thus the discard or we'd have an infinite ward back and forth).

And yes, just like Secret Chamber, it could be combined with other Reactions. So, if you draw, say, a Moat with your Ward, you can then use the Moat to keep the attack from affecting you to begin with.

Ironically, Ward doesn't really protect you from any of the attacks, except in the sense that a good offense is a good defense. If you have a bunch of Wards, people may be too afraid of playing Attack cards for fear of getting cursed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I'd like to see how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Similar to Asmor's hexer, but complex enough for Intrigue:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37241/item/806022#item...

BTW, feel free to add your ideas to that geeklist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both versions - they make the more powerful attacks a lot less attractive. Hexer is a bit easier to play - although it costs more, if you end up discouraging attackers, it at least replaces itself when it turns up in your hand. Ward is a greater deterrant, but becomes a dead card if people don't attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not seen that geeklist before. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, although I've designed 25 cards for my expansion, we've reached the limits of the ones I've printed out and tested. I'll try to playtest a few more this week, as well as some of the reworked ones and report back here.

Thanks very much for all the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting card but totally worthless in sets without attacks since it wouldn't do anything at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have no art or photostop skill. I wonder if someone can make this out in visual style for me?

My tiny answer to Saboteur and Swindler. It also defends against tribute (which is not an attack card), theif and spy.

Name: Watch Tower
Reaction - Victory
Cost 2
Effect 1 - This cards score 1 for every 2 other* Watch Towers you have in your deck.
Effect 2 - When any effect causes you to reveal Watch Tower from your deck, you may choose to stop that effect immediately and have no further effect. (

Table:
#of Watch Tower | Victory for each | Total cost | cost per point
1 | 0 | 2 | n/a
2 | 0 | 4 | n/a
3 | 1 | 6 | 2 (Estate level)
4 | 1 | 8 | 2
5 | 2 | 10 | 1 (Better than province**)
6 | 2 | 12 | 1

EDIT: **Better than province only in cost-per-point wise (i'm trying to apply the Duke-Duchy calculation logic in here) Thanks for pointing that out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theatog wrote:
I have no art or photostop skill. I wonder if someone can make this out in visual style for me?

My tiny answer to Saboteur and Swindler. It also defends against tribute (which is not an attack card), theif and spy.

Name: Watch Tower
Reaction - Victory
Cost 2
Effect 1 - This cards score 1 for every 2 other* Watch Towers you have in your deck.
Effect 2 - When any effect causes you to reveal Watch Tower from your deck, you may choose to stop that effect immediately and have no further effect. (

Table:
#of Watch Tower | Victory for each | Total cost | cost per point
1 | 0 | 2 | n/a
2 | 0 | 4 | n/a
3 | 1 | 6 | 2 (Estate level)
4 | 1 | 8 | 2
5 | 2 | 10 | 1 (Better than provice)
6 | 2 | 12 | 1

The card is interesting, but your note that the cost-per-point is "better than Province" is a bit misleading. In order to get 12 points from Watch Towers, you need to have six cards in your deck that do nothing. With Provinces, you only need two to get the same 12 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried a couple more games with Ward as described above. It's a fine defense card. I got about 3 curses out of it because my wife always seemed to have one in her hand. Which was odd, because she never bought more than one.

Still haven't been able to Ward a Ward, but one can hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
We tried a couple more games with Ward as described above. It's a fine defense card. I got about 3 curses out of it because my wife always seemed to have one in her hand. Which was odd, because she never bought more than one.

Still haven't been able to Ward a Ward, but one can hope.

I don't know quite how to say this, Mike, but have you considered the possibility that your wife may, in fact, be magicking your black magic themed cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.