Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I purchased some new Space Marines and Genestealers to update the look of a Space Hulk Set I got off eBay.

What is the best way to attach the mini's to the bases? The slot on the feet of a mini seems a bit loose when set it in the base and I'm not sure if model glue will give it a solid hold or not.shake

This is the first time I 've assmebled and painted Game Works mini's before, and I now hope the rumor of pre-painted mini's for the new Space Hulk editions are true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you mean by model glue exactly. Are the minis plastic or metal?

I am going to assume plastic, if so Cyanacrylate glue (super glue) works great. The stuff I use is a little thicker than the standard super glue, so it fills gaps a bit better. Any store that sells games workshop or models would probably have that style. Hardware stores probably also sell something similar.

If you want the kind of hold that will never come undone, get some plastic glue (Testors). Plastic glue actual melts the plastic and makes a rather permanent bond. Should be able to find that stuff in any store that sells models (wal-mart)

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A trick for slottabases is to fill the slot with blu-tac or similar and then glue the model's feet to the base proper if the fit is a bit loose. You can even often skip the glue for a first cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GW plastic minis to GW plastic bases: Use plastic model glue, the liquid type. It actually melds the pieces together and you will have an extremely strong bond. Just put a little of the glue under the feet of the models too. That is also the best way to go for plastic models without tab to glue them to bases without slot. Way better and more durable than cyanacrylate, which may (in my experience) break again in 2-3 years. Glueing broken painted models together again often spoils the paint job...

For metal minis in plastic bases I recommend 2 component epoxy glue. Choose one with the appropriate settling time (I am using 30-45 minutes), so you can glue together several miniatures with the amount of glue you mixed together. This stuff also fills gaps. To let them dry, put them on coated non-stick paper (backside paper of stickers), so when glue gets under the base, it won't stick the mini to the table. Otherwise your minis might break when you try to remove them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try using a binary modelling putty, or use a hot glue gun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sorry for the confusion. Plastic GW mini's to round plastic GW bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. Plastic GW mini's to round plastic GW bases.

As said before, use liquid plastic glue. If the fit is loose cut a small wedge chunk off the spru that held the figures. Use this to secure the figure before gluing. Then the wedge will become part of the model after gluing.

Or you can use the thick super glue, it will also fill the gaps.

Brother Jim cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if you've started in on those models yet or not but I've always had the best luck in the following way.

Apply super glue to the soles of their feet and around the slot. push the model into the base and apply pressure down towards the base and forward or backward for about 30 seconds. Make sure the pressure is even and firm but not strong.

This method ensures that the super glue bonds in a couple places. First, onto the base itself were the feet touch. Second, whichever way you choose to push the figure laterally it will bond across the slot as opposed to pushing it straight in and hoping for the glue to harden in the middle.

The trick to super glue is using it sparingly and allowing it to bond the surfaces together rather than using it like a mortar (right word?).

The super glue I use is from walmart. I believe its called lock tight. I like it because its a hard plastic case with ribbed sides you squeeze in and a needle nose. Its very comfortable to use. They also make super glue that has a brush in it. the brush is great cause you can paint on the glue and it gets applied in an easy light coat.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.