Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Duff
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A PDF of the game rules http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_325_gameRules.pd... are available from the Rio Grande Games Website (http://riograndegames.com/games.html?id=325)

The game has quite a few components for a dice game, 5 colored dice and 92 wooden cubes (it also includes 1 game board, 4 summary boards and 1 Ra figure). The game plays 2 to 4 players, who aim to score the most points as possible over the course of 3 epochs (turns). Players score points for having cubes of their color in various areas, specifically, Pharaoh, Nile, Civilization and Monuments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm...just what Ra needed...little wooden cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up about the rules. I'm glad to see that the scoring follows Ra pretty closely. I'm definitely going to pick this one up. I do have a question about the rules that I didn't understand.

On page three in the section that explains the scoring of pharaohs, the rules state:

Quote:
Pharaoh: The player with the furthest advanced marker on the track
scores 5 points. The player with the least advanced marker loses
2 points. If there is a tie, all involved players score 5 or lose 2 points.
If all players tie, there is no score. Players who score 5 points move
their markers 2 spaces backward on the track;
players who lose 2 points advance their markers 1 space

The emphasis is mine and this is the section that I do not understand. This final sentence just doesn't make any sense to me. If anyone can explain it (I'm likely missing something in the rules), I'd appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you score points for pharaohs, you lose two; when you lose points for pharaohs, you gain one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably just intended to prevent a runaway in the pharaoh department. In Ra this is a situation that other players can work to prevent by bidding accordingly. When rolling and assigning dice, there's nothing other players can do, so an artificial "catch-the-leader" mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a step up from Roll Through the Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
When you score points for pharaohs, you lose two; when you lose points for pharaohs, you gain one.

Oh, now I see. I thought "the track" referred to the score track not the pharaoh track. Now it all makes sense. It's funny how many times I read through the paragraph trying to make sense of it. Thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedbob wrote:
Probably just intended to prevent a runaway in the pharaoh department.

You may very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does sound better than Roll Through the Ages...

A couple parts sound unnecessarily confusing though. Like Nile scoring. I'm pretty sure (based on how Ra works) that the intent is that you score your Nile progress as long as you have at least 1 Flood counter, and you don't score it if you have no floods. Would it have been so hard to put a Flood box at the end of the Nile track where you deposit Flood cubes? The scoring paragraph is very confusing...

Suppose you collect 3 niles, then a Flood, then 3 more niles, then another flood. How many points is that worth? 6? 9? 12? 15? I'm pretty sure it's just 6. then you lose all but 1 marker - presumably you choose to keep the one that's furthest along the track, not a flood you got a few turns ago.

That's all just phrasing though... the Monument placing restrictions sound a little crazy as well, but I don't know if it's just because the wording is weird, or because it's supposed to be really restrictive in how you can place monuments markers.

I'll give this game a try when I see it, probably at a convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
I'm pretty sure (based on how Ra works) that the intent is that you score your Nile progress as long as you have at least 1 Flood counter, and you don't score it if you have no floods.

That is what happens.

Quote:
Would it have been so hard to put a Flood box at the end of the Nile track where you deposit Flood cubes?

That wasn't ever suggested in my hearing. One advantage of the current process is that you only need to look in one place, because ...

Quote:
Suppose you collect 3 niles, then a Flood, then 3 more niles, then another flood. How many points is that worth? 6?

Yes. You move the marker three spaces, then put a flood on top of it (as the rules say) then as the marker moves another three spaces so does the flood on top of it. (The scoring rules refer to the space, singular, your markers are in.)

Quote:
presumably you choose to keep the one that's furthest along the track, not a flood you got a few turns ago.

That's based on a misunderstanding. There's only one pile of markers, nile plus floods on top (in effect, though that's not how it's worded) and you remove the floods.

Quote:
the Monument placing restrictions sound a little crazy as well, but I don't know if it's just because the wording is weird, or because it's supposed to be really restrictive in how you can place monuments markers

It is restrictive, and intended to be, and I think quite clearly explained twice. Only your first monument placement in a turn can be in a column you are already in. Note that this means that if you roll three monuments on your dice in turn 1, your resulting two monument markers must end up in different columns, and to get three in a column will take at least three turns. (This is in addition to the colour restrictions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elcomadreja2 wrote:
Looks like a step up from Roll Through the Ages.

The design of Ra the Dice Game precedes the publication of Roll Through the Ages, with no advance information either way, so they are entirely independent designs (except in that both draw on the long legacy of dice games with re-rolls). When I first saw Roll Through the Ages I have to admit I thought "bother" that it got published first (though I'm really just a spectator, it's good when your team comes in first).

Personally (and let me stress that word) I think Ra the Dice Game and Roll Through the Ages are both fine games, that we're better off with both than with just one (either). They obviously have their similarities (how disasters happen in particular) but their differences are significantly greater. I expect to be playing both (once I get my copy of Ra the Dice Game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Philpott
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this just Ra with the best bit taken out - the auction mechanism.

The painful bidding decisions with your sun tiles and the strategic timing of the auctions by calling Ra are the mechanics which make game great for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blueboo wrote:

The painful bidding decisions with your sun tiles and the strategic timing of the auctions by calling Ra are the mechanics which make game great for me.

I think the way to look at it is that this is not "Ra with Dice" - rather it's a Yahtzee variant (like Roll Through the Ages) with Ra-inspired scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
blueboo wrote:

I think the way to look at it is that this is not "Ra with Dice" - rather it's a Yahtzee variant (like Roll Through the Ages) with Ra-inspired scoring.

Except in Yahtzee, it's pretty much multi-player solitaire. In this game, there are still decisions to make about competing for Pharoahs, Niles, Monuments(?), and the speed of the round (advancing Ra).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the rules I have to give this a solid "meh". I'd like to try it out regardless, but it seems like they just replaced the cards with dice, a board, and cubes (and took out the bidding altogether).

So instead of calling Ra and hoping to out-bid someone for a juicy set of cards, you are on your own to decide what you want to "go for" this turn, probably dependent on what you roll in your first attempt.

The only "interaction" is trying to score more than the other players and possibly hurting them if you manage to roll 4 or 5 suns.

It seems like a good representation of Ra, but not THAT different. Just my opinion though. Admittedly, it could change once having played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
dedbob wrote:
Probably just intended to prevent a runaway in the pharaoh department.

You may very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

I love that show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The unique bidding was what set RA apart from other games...and they took it out. hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Monuments rules threw me for a few times but I think I got them now. When is this due to release?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:

It seems like a good representation of Ra, but not THAT different. Just my opinion though. Admittedly, it could change once having played the game.

Since I don't own Ra this may work for me. I like the RTtA sort of interaction and gameplay. I think I may pick this up if the price is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Except in Yahtzee, it's pretty much multi-player solitaire. In this game, there are still decisions to make about competing for Pharoahs, Niles, Monuments(?), and the speed of the round (advancing Ra).

(I assume you omitted disasters because they were already mentioned.)

Not much competition over Niles/Floods, except via disasters. Pharaohs are of course pure competition. You omitted Civilizations, which are a competition because of the N-1 spaces rule. With 2 players in particular competition can be stiff. I'm not sure why the (?) after Monuments, because yes, there's real competition there, especially with more players. Glad you mentioned the speed of the round, I've certainly modified my play for that reason (in a turn when the game would end with two suns rolled, but if that went up to three or more, wouldn't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.