Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am creating a tile placement game that has the sprawl of an expanded Carcassonne. Like Carcassonne or Small World and NOT like Catan, VPs are earned and counted during your turn, and have no permanence on the board.

I a concerned that VP coins/tokens/monopoly money will be too many moving parts, but that a scoring track also has its associated problems and would just constantly get pushed aside. VPs are not hidden.

Which method do you think would be more appropriate: the track, tokens, or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the scores are trackable and open it doesn't really matter. So do whatever is easiest (track probably).

If the game is being published then this would be a decision for the publisher - track is the cheap option (assuming you can fit it on the board) as all you need is a marker for each player.

Advantage of chits are players can play the game with them hidden if they prefer it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Track around the board, aka Kramerleiste.

Used first by Wolfgang Kramer in Heimlich & Co. 1984.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps answer the question:

Scoring will be probably 5-9 VP per score, but can be between 2 and 12.

duchamp wrote:
Track around the board, aka Kramerleiste.

Used first by Wolfgang Kramer in Heimlich & Co. 1984.
The playing area is tile-based and expands constantly, so it would have to be a track-around-your-living-room-table.

I also have a centerpiece that plays a role, much like Carcassonne: Wheel of Fortune will be using, so I cannot legitimately have a "central scoring track," although I can still consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassone style board with a track seems the obvious solution then - but if your scores are large I'd suggest having a 2nd track for the 100's. It gets confusing having markers on the same 1-50 track when players are 50 or more points apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Score track! And don't forget: http://ekted.blogspot.com/2008/03/anatomy-of-score-track.htm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.