Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a longer post. Questions are welcome.

I have 360 tokens, 60 in each of six colors. In playtesting, these tokens are the Risk/Castle Risk cheapo single-army pieces.

60 tokens is probably enough for all players for a 5-6 player game.
60 tokens is probably NOT enough for both/all players in a 2-4 player game.

I would like to allow for players to use a second color once they have exhausted their supply. In a 4-player game, I don't expect three players to exhaust their supply so just two of them will pick a color once they have played that last token.

I am looking for a relatively efficient way to do this.

What six colors (and combos of them) do you think work best when combined for 2 and 3 player games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby
Belgium
Ixelles
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't make the mistake of choosing colours which are too similar (red/pale red/pink or green/khaki/brown). These will cause problems for colourblind people like me, or even for people with normal colour vision in dull light. Compare the different shades of zombies in Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, for instance -- intended to be easy to combine for a single player, but they end up hard to distinguish by people like me.

Instead, I suggest you choose colours which look different from one another, but which fit into the same 'mental' category. For instance, you could go for three really pale pastel colours (maybe pale pink/blue/yellow) and three really bold colours (bright pink/blue/gold). That way, they can be grouped into two trios or three pairs depending on your player configuration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for info on colorblindness, check out cdefrisco's GeekList here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20738
It has a link to a site where you can view images as though you were colorblind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randywombat wrote:
Don't make the mistake of choosing colours which are too similar (red/pale red/pink or green/khaki/brown). These will cause problems for colourblind people like me, or even for people with normal colour vision in dull light. Compare the different shades of zombies in Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, for instance -- intended to be easy to combine for a single player, but they end up hard to distinguish by people like me.

Instead, I suggest you choose colours which look different from one another, but which fit into the same 'mental' category. For instance, you could go for three really pale pastel colours (maybe pale pink/blue/yellow) and three really bold colours (bright pink/blue/gold). That way, they can be grouped into two trios or three pairs depending on your player configuration.

Good idea!! But if the OP prefers all different colors, I suggest the following:

Dark Red, Yellow, Dark Blue, Light Green, Pale Gray, Black

I guess some colorblind people could have difficulties with the yellow/green, but the green should be hopefully a bit darker.

You can combine them this way:

-"Living colors": Dark Red, Yellow, Light Green,
-"Dead Colors": Dark Blue, Pale Gray, Black

or

-"Fire" colors: Dark Red, Yellow,
-"Water" colors: Dark Blue, Light Green,
-Not a color: Pale Gray, Black

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a player, I suggest that this approach is penny wise, pound foolish... if at all possible, simply supply more pieces. It's irritating and confusing to sometimes have to use 2 player colors instead of a single player color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
As a player, I suggest that this approach is penny wise, pound foolish... if at all possible, simply supply more pieces. It's irritating and confusing to sometimes have to use 2 player colors instead of a single player color.
In a perfect world, I agree. Also, this is mostly hypothetical - the game in question is not yet in the playtest phase - but I want to have people's opinions on this in case "too many pieces" ends up being a snag in development.

I suppose, much like Risk, these markers are expendable enough that I may not have to do this, but I want the thread just in case :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeii has 2 colours with lots of pieces, a third colour with only enough pieces for a 3 or 4 player game and the fourth colour only has enough pieces for a 4 player game.

This saves on pieces without combining colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke wrote:
The Downfall of Pompeii has 2 colours with lots of pieces, a third colour with only enough pieces for a 3 or 4 player game and the fourth colour only has enough pieces for a 4 player game.

I've thought about that too.

bwingrave wrote:
If you're looking for info on colorblindness, check out cdefrisco's GeekList here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20738
It has a link to a site where you can view images as though you were colorblind.
I downloaded Color Oracle after reading this thread - fantastic!

This will definitely help me avoid colorblind incorrectness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke wrote:

Terra Nova and Metro also do that.

Many people I've played them with have been annoyed that they couldn't use their preferred color when playing with less than the maximum number of players.

It's a penny wise, pound foolish irritation that leaves customers with a bad feeling that the manufacturer cared more about saving a few cents than about providing a complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On The Underground has a series of colours that are used differently depending on the number of players (and the number of colours each player controls). They all make sense from what I remember and I know that when I play two player I end up with blue, green, black and grey while my wife gets red, yellow, pink and orange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also check Age of Mythology: The Boardgame and Risk: The Lord of the Rings for color choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Koehn
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:
If you had a pool of 100 pieces, 90 of them representing 1 unit each, and the other 10 representing 10 units each, you have increased the number of units from 100 to 1000

90 * 1 = 90
10 * 10 = 100

I get a total of 190, not 1000. But a good suggestion, nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:
Risk itself alleviates this problem by making a proportion of the pieces worth 5 or 10 units. Would this be appropriate?
No, the element of the game is about placing tokens, not their quantities. However...
Harv wrote:
You could even provide 'colourless' tokens, perhaps a disc on which you can place a unit of your colour, to represent 10's - that way, you only have to provide one kind of 10 token instead of one per player colour.
...this is an interesting idea.

I made another thread at the same time as this one (VP track vs. VP coins), if I used VP coins I'd be subdividing them like this (either 1-2-5-10 or 1-3-10, or maybe something else depending on what makes the most sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.